2021 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVI

canzman

I think the Rams use the exact same yellow as the Steelers and Packers. They're all athletic gold if so. The issue with the Rams is that the lighting in Sofi Stadium makes their yellow look weird. They look better when not at their own stadium. The Chargers use a different yellow I think but they look kinda weird too. The Steelers and Packers haven't visited Sofi yet but chances are it would be similar to the Rams.

I could be completely wrong or just have things mixed up. TruColor should chime in on this.

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I think the Rams use the exact same yellow as the Steelers and Packers. They're all athletic gold if so. The issue with the Rams is that the lighting in Sofi Stadium makes their yellow look weird. They look better when not at their own stadium. The Chargers use a different yellow I think but they look kinda weird too. The Steelers and Packers haven't visited Sofi yet but chances are it would be similar to the Rams.

I could be completely wrong or just have things mixed up. TruColor should chime in on this.

The Chargers, Steelers & Packers yellow is: 

GOLD
PANTONE 1235 C
#FFB81C
spacer.png
The Rams yellow is : 
SOL
PANTONE 109 C
#FFD100
spacer.png

spacer.png

1 minute ago, nuordr said:

The Steelers & Packers yellow is: 

GOLD
PANTONE 1235 C
#FFB81C
spacer.png
The Rams yellow is : 
SOL
PANTONE 109 C
#FFD100
spacer.png

The Rams could definitely benefit from darkening the yellow. It does come off a little too bright, but other than that, it could be much worse.  

17 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

When the Rams started wearing their throwback uniforms upon moving to LA in 2016, the shade of athletic gold was the same as the Steelers & Packers (the Chargers have also continuously used this same shade) :

n0Hbc6O.png

However, once the Rams moved to SoFi Stadium in 2020, they brightened their shades significantly (especially the new yellow, which they dubbed “sol”):

i2oHFBK.png

Honestly, I think “sol” looks fine in digital applications, possibly even better than the previous athletic gold. When the color is applied on the real-life uniforms, however, it often looks sickly and highlighter-like in most photos.

My personal solution would be to keep the “sol” shade for digital applications, while going back to the previous athletic gold or something similar to it for the actual uniforms.

The Rams away uniform is definitely the best option as the road team but it is still far from good. The colors are a bit too bright but I don't mind them. The uniforms just look cheap. They desperately need to have the old Rams horn to make a return to the helmet. The numbers are the worst, though. The gradient on the home jersey doesn't work IMO. The blue numbers on the away jersey look horrible...way too shiny and cheap looking. 

But now that the team has won in these uniforms, it probably means that they will stay well past their welcome, like the Brady Patriots uniforms and the current Seahawks uniforms.

1 hour ago, NFLfan10 said:

Something tells me opening night next season is gonna be the Bills in blue/white against the Rams in white/sol.

Other possible opponents are DAL or SF, but DAL played on opening night this season and at LA opening weekend in 2020.

its definitely going to be the Cowboys… big Cowboy fanbase here in LA, and people love to watch us lose

Super Bowl LVI: Rams could become third NFL champions to represent two  cities | Marca

Hollywood ending: Rams rally to beat Bengals to win Super Bowl LVI | CBC  Sports

In a vacuum (where I'm completely ignoring the vegas gold history and disaster in the white fixes era), it looks like a classic uniform got updated into an over-modernization version, but it still looks like the Rams. The jerseys have some gimmicks, but overall it's a good look. The Blue on the helmets simply looked spectacular yesterday. This jersey will almost certainly stick around as a primary now (after all, the NFL had to sign off on them wearing this 'alternate').

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

3 hours ago, flyersfan said:

Super Bowl LVI: Rams could become third NFL champions to represent two  cities | Marca

Hollywood ending: Rams rally to beat Bengals to win Super Bowl LVI | CBC  Sports

In a vacuum (where I'm completely ignoring the vegas gold history and disaster in the white fixes era), it looks like a classic uniform got updated into an over-modernization version, but it still looks like the Rams. The jerseys have some gimmicks, but overall it's a good look. The Blue on the helmets simply looked spectacular yesterday. This jersey will almost certainly stick around as a primary now (after all, the NFL had to sign off on them wearing this 'alternate').

The problem with this redesign is that they felt compelled to touch and modernize every single uniform element at once which just makes it an gauche representation of the franchises identity.

3 hours ago, flyersfan said:

Ugh, seeing them side by side really "highlights" how bad that Sol color is.

6 hours ago, flyersfan said:

This makes the current uniform look worse than it did watching it on TV.

19 hours ago, flyersfan said:

Looking at those two pictures...could they find a happy medium between the two colors? It may be the lighting and shiny pants fabric, but the pants on the first pic look more like Notre Dame's gold than athletic gold.

If they used the same shade as these it would look nice.

spacer.png

The Rams discussion directly ties into our discussion of the Cardinals on another thread. Historic franchises shouldn't have uniform gimmicks. The gimmicks are bad enough on their own, but then add in the bastardization of a classic historic franchise look and then its even worse. 

On 2/14/2022 at 2:52 PM, flyersfan said:

Idc what anyone says. The new uniforms look so much better. The revised colours especially look gorgeous. Look at those helmets! Sol really pops and is a nice twist on the usual "athletic gold" that every single other pro sports team uses. Were the numbers STILL printed on the jersey in 1999? I've always thought that specific kind of block font with slightly rounded corners looked awful. Combined with the mismatching navy helmets, they looked like a high school team. And the home jerseys with barely any white on them looked even worse

No one will ever be able to convince me that the old and extremely outdated unis were better. It's just misplaced nostalgia. Go ahead and downvote me, I don't even care lol

I'm so glad the Rams won in those uniforms, hopefully they stick around for a long, long time. I wouldn't even mind if they kept the bone around as an alternate, as long as they never go full bone ever again

4 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

The Rams discussion directly ties into our discussion of the Cardinals on another thread. Historic franchises shouldn't have uniform gimmicks. The gimmicks are bad enough on their own, but then add in the bastardization of a classic historic franchise look and then its even worse. 

I'd say cosplaying as literal rams with horns painted on the helmet has always been kinda gimmicky.

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Idc what anyone says. The new uniforms look so much better. The revised colours especially look gorgeous. Look at those helmets! Sol really pops and is a nice twist on the usual "athletic gold" that every single other pro sports team uses. Were the numbers STILL printed on the jersey in 1999? I've always thought that specific kind of block font with slightly rounded edges looked awful. Combined with the mismatching navy helmets, they looked like a high school team. And the home jerseys with barely any white on them looked even worse

No one will ever be able to convince me that the old and extremely outdated unis were better. It's just misplaced nostalgia. Go ahead and downvote me, I don't even care lol

I'm so glad the Rams won in those uniforms, hopefully they stick around for a long, long time. I wouldn't even mind if they kept the bone around as an alternate, as long as they never go full bone ever again

Agreed on everything but the colors. I guess that was your biggest focus, but, my point is that I like pretty much everything about the Rams update EXCEPT the colors. I just cannot get over how bad that sol/highlighter/yellow/green color is. 

Archived