Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

The Peninsula Pilots (Coastal Plain League) appear to have a new alternate navy jersey with an outline of the Commonwealth of Virginia and a large P coming out if it: They had the Tequila Sunrise a few years back, but it seems to have disappeared, even though staff last year wore an interesting cap with the outline of an F-14 filled in with gaudy stripes like that jersey.

https://twitter.com/PeninsulaPilots/status/1002775155284824064

18 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

I don't know if people really care about that (although admittedly I'm not a big baseball fan). When the team started, it was an A's affiliate, and it seemed to be relatively popular right away.

Might that have had to do with the ballpark being brand spankin' new?  A lot of Midwest League teams got new facilities in the 90s and experienced explosions of interest because of it.

Say hello to the Delmarva Scrapple

June 15, 2018 - 12:12 PM

The latest food-based temporary identity comes to us from the Delmarva Shorebirds, who will play a game as the Delmarva Scrapple later this season. Given that the team’s geographic indicator, Delmarva, is a mash-up of three states (Delaware, Maryland, and […]

Read More...

Brockmire’s Crawdaddy’s come to life in New Orleans

June 15, 2018 - 18:54 PM

In season 2 of the IFC TV show “Brockmire,” Hank Azaria plays a disgraced former announcer for the Kansas City Royals whose career imploded after an on-air meltdown brought on by the discovery of his wife’s infidelity. Jim Brockmire’s attempt […]

Read More...

10 hours ago, NicDB said:

Isn't scrapple just the Mid-Atlantic's version of Spam?

It's nowhere close to being the same meat item, but as for being a regional favorite garbage meat, yes. There's also pork roll/taylor ham in the Mid-Atlantic (mostly Jersey). Depends where you live.

(Both are delicious, for the record....pork roll especially)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shumway said:

It's nowhere close to being the same meat item, but as for being a regional favorite garbage meat, yes. There's also pork roll/taylor ham in the Mid-Atlantic (mostly Jersey). Depends where you live.

Oh I get it. In Wisconsin, the traditional garbage meat is braunschweiger.

Reading Fightins to go green on Phanatic Tribute Night

June 16, 2018 - 13:49 PM

The Reading Fightin Phils will pay homage to their parent club’s mascot with specialty uniforms for a game later this season. The Phillie Phanatic, a native of the Galapagos Islands and the best mascot in sports (note: it’s not close), […]

Read More...

15 hours ago, Shumway said:

I’ve actually never had pork roll, and people look at me like I have two heads when I say that. Scrapple, when cooked well done, is great - AS LONG AS YOU DONT THINK ABOUT WHAT IT IS. I’m typing this from the Melrose Diner in South Philly, smelling the scrapple on my neighbor’s plate, and while it’s not making me hard, there’s definitely a little movement happening. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

39 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I’ve actually never had pork roll, and people look at me like I have two heads when I say that. Scrapple, when cooked well done, is great - AS LONG AS YOU DONT THINK ABOUT WHAT IT IS. I’m typing this from the Melrose Diner in South Philly, smelling the scrapple on my neighbor’s plate, and while it’s not making me hard, there’s definitely a little movement happening. 

There's a sandwich known as the JYD that has both pork roll AND scrapple on a long roll with eggs and cheese that's absolutely delicious. I've been told it's a DelCo thing, but I have no real evidence to support this other than what my co-worker told me.

I've eaten it twice and probably shaved a few years off my life. Worth it.