Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

7 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

I can't speak to other cities, but Grand Rapids was voted Beer City USA in a number of national polls from 2012-2017. Nothing scientific, but it at least gives the claim a color of legitimacy. Founders is one of the biggest microbreweries, and there are a number of other GR breweries that are significant on a regional level. With regard to Milwaukee, I'd argue that it was the most significant brewing city at one point back in the pre-craft era, but is now far behind with regard to influential breweries - there's Lakefront, and that's about it.

Also, the Whitecaps are in a "suburb" in name only - Comstock Park is certainly part of the Grand Rapids urban area. I work in downtown GR and can see the stadium from my office on a clear day.

Admittedly, my experience of West Michigan is limited to Kalamazoo, Muskegon, and Benton Harbor.  So I'll have to take your word on that.  But if the park really is that close to the central city of Grand Rapids, they really hurt themselves in naming the team regionally.  Most people have no idea that the Whitecaps are from a Top 40 media market.  If Grand Rapids has enough cache for the AAA level of hockey, certainly it could stand for itself in the Midwest League.

But no city will ever match the sheer influence on not only the art of brewing, but tavern culture in general that Milwaukee has had dating back to the 19th century.   I'm not saying that to take away from Founders or any of the other quality craft breweries that have emerged in placed like Grand Rapids, or Denver, or Portland.  But there's only so much influence they can exert being smaller and (for the most part) regionally distributed.  I would also argue that Milwaukee's lack of well-known craft breweries is because Lakefront (31 years old, which is ancient in the world of craft brewing) and New Glarus are so entrenched here.

It's like how the Yankees have only won one World Series since 2000.  But love them or hate them, they're still the gold standard by which every other major pro sports enterprise is measured.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Of course, Brandiose being Brandiose, there was a "swingin' mascot" logo.  They just left this one on the drawing board.

Dfk7FYcV4AAmyl4.jpg

And look @DC in Da House w/o a Doubt - toppings!  Pepperoni!

Seriously, though, how do you look at everything on these pages and say "Yeah, we want that kangaroo-over-the-slice.  That's our best choice."

That script is so pleasing to look at. IMO, I feel like it they had stacked the words off center from each other it might look even better. Maybe play with the size of the words in comparison to each other, but I wouldn't really change anything about how the letters are constructed. Really really nice to look at.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NicDB said:

Admittedly, my experience of West Michigan is limited to Kalamazoo, Muskegon, and Benton Harbor.  So I'll have to take your word on that.  But if the park really is that close to the central city of Grand Rapids, they really hurt themselves in naming the team regionally.  Most people have no idea that the Whitecaps are from a Top 40 media market.  If Grand Rapids has enough cache for the AAA level of hockey, certainly it could stand for itself in the Midwest League.

But no city will ever match the sheer influence on not only the art of brewing, but tavern culture in general that Milwaukee has had dating back to the 19th century.   I'm not saying that to take away from Founders or any of the other quality craft breweries that have emerged in placed like Grand Rapids, or Denver, or Portland.  But there's only so much influence they can exert being smaller and (for the most part) regionally distributed.  I would also argue that Milwaukee's lack of well-known craft breweries is because Lakefront (31 years old, which is ancient in the world of craft brewing) and New Glarus are so entrenched here.

It's like how the Yankees have only won one World Series since 2000.  But love them or hate them, they're still the gold standard by which every other major pro sports enterprise is measured.

It's literally across the river from Grand Rapids. But, it's not in Grand Rapids and my guess was there was some local pressure to not give the team the Grand Rapids name. So, instead of Comstock Park, it's easier to do West Michigan. I always had thought it was further from downtown than it is. But, it's quite close.

As for the problem with Grand Rapids, is that AAA isn't moving in any time soon. Plus, I'd think the stadium is too small now for it, anyways. AA, the Eastern League's western outpost is Akron and second is Erie. That's a long haul for one team. I thought NYPL having a team in Morgantown (just outside, actually), WV was bad when Mahoning Valley was already far away from the rest of the league.

Aside from league size, the league they're in works well geographically. Maybe Bowling Green/Lake County were a bit of outliers moving from the South Atlantic during the last big shuffle, but it is the Midwest League of mostly Michigan, Illinois, and Iowa teams with Dayton/Lake County to the east, BG to the south, and a few teams up in Wisconsin. Plus, being A, they get to be affiliated with Detroit. Something I know from visiting GR in the past is that they're much more fans of Detroit than Chicago. Which helps that the Griffins are Red Wings affiliates, and their NBABCDEFG-League team is affiliate with the Pistons.

• Like 1

I kinda suspected Grand Rapids/West Michigan had little motivation to move up, and now it's confirmed.  At the AAA level, they most likely wouldn't be a Tigers affiliate, which is probably their biggest selling point right now.

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

I kinda suspected Grand Rapids/West Michigan had little motivation to move up, and now it's confirmed.  At the AAA level, they most likely wouldn't be a Tigers affiliate, which is probably their biggest selling point right now.

I don't know if people really care about that (although admittedly I'm not a big baseball fan). When the team started, it was an A's affiliate, and it seemed to be relatively popular right away.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Dfk7FYcV4AAmyl4.jpg

Both of the word marks are outstanding. I love the logo that features the rat holding the slice of pepperoni pizza aloft, though it could do without the baseball bat he's wielding (Brandiose gonna Brandiose). All of that said, the simplicity of the pizza peel emblazoned with the "SI" ligature is my personal favorite. I just think it's phenomenal!  

On 6/12/2018 at 11:46 AM, kroywen said:

This is like naming a team after "I Can Has Cheezburger" in the year 2018. Sorry, you were way too late on this, SI Yanks.

Also, as @Waffles mentioned, the pizza rat was on a stairwell to a subway. There are no subways in Staten Island. This is like renaming the Brooklyn Cyclones after a Broadway reference. 

The Hudson Valley AYYYYYY I'M WALKIN' HEREs

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

25 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Only took them fourteen days,  That's how you capitalize on a meme, Staten Island.

I love the Saints so much.

In addition, Porknite, the Saints live ball pig who delivers baseballs to the umpire, will have company during the game as a raccoon will be his sidekick. 

• Like 2

On 6/11/2018 at 3:57 PM, slapshot said:

2927291651_465c646006_b.jpg

What is that?  Like Schnapps-flavored enemas? 

• Like 1

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN