Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Wilmington Blue Rocks commemorate Dodgeball as Average Rocks

June 15, 2019 - 11:07 AM

It’s been 15 years since the late Patches O’Houlihan, former champion of the American Dodgeball Association of America (ADAA), bequeathed us with this wisdom: “If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.” That bit of dodgeball insight, […]

Read More...

• Like 1

Hm. I guess my remark was in haste.  I just figured if New Orleans isn't in AAA, then the Southern League or perhaps the Texas League would be an idea spot for them.  It's not like there's anywhere for them to play below that level.

Either way, it makes Brandiose's sticking them with a brand that sold for the novelty but no one actually wanted to support that much more toxic. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Hm. I guess my remark was in haste.  I just figured if New Orleans isn't in AAA, then the Southern League or perhaps the Texas League would be an idea spot for them.  It's not like there's anywhere for them to play below that level.

Either way, it makes Brandiose's sticking them with a brand that sold for the novelty but no one actually wanted to support that much more toxic. 

The whole situation had a bit of the old "The Producers" vibe, with the New Orleans AAA team trying to step up business operations in Cuba during the "normalization" efforts. I'm sure @B-Rich would know better, seeing as how he's far closer to the situation than I am. 

Let me put it this way: the Baby Cakes brand would be comparable to an team near Milwaukee going with a Cheese Curds (but incorrectly-represented) identity full time. Or, if you want to get the proper sense of local revulsion, a team near Plainfield, WI doing an Ed Gein-themed brand. It's popular to outsiders, but in poor taste to locals.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The whole situation had a bit of the old "The Producers" vibe, with the New Orleans AAA team trying to step up business operations in Cuba during the "normalization" efforts. I'm sure @B-Rich would know better, seeing as how he's far closer to the situation than I am. 

Let me put it this way: the Baby Cakes brand would be comparable to an team near Milwaukee going with a Cheese Curds (but incorrectly-represented) identity full time. Or, if you want to get the proper sense of local revulsion, a team near Plainfield, WI doing an Ed Gein-themed brand. It's popular to outsiders, but in poor taste to locals.

Oh, but that actually happened....

spacer.png

If the club were named for Wisconsin, maybe I could accept the name as part of a marketing strategy. But the last time I googled to see if any dairies actually exist in MKE County I got a list of DQ locations. 

2 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Oh, but that actually happened....

spacer.png

If the club were named for Wisconsin, maybe I could accept the name as part of a marketing strategy. But the last time I googled to see if any dairies actually exist in MKE County I got a list of DQ locations. 

Yeah, that’s not great. Milkmen probably did exist in Milwaukee at some point, but it’s much more suited for a regional name. I wouldn’t say it’s as insulting as Baby Cakes, Sod Poodles, or the litany of food rebrands. It’s not the Milwaukee Curd Fries or Beer Dogs. 

latest?cb=20100729024220

I’m sure Lakefront Brewery adopted this method back in the ‘90s.

• Like 2

Cougars convert to Atomic Pork Chops

June 21, 2019 - 19:55 PM

If the Albuquerque Isotopes and Lehigh Valley IronPigs got together and had a baby, the offspring very well might be the new alternate identity for the Kane County Cougars. The Kane County Atomic Pork Chops will take the field for […]

Read More...

I was not aware of this until tonight's game started, but apparently several dozen minor league teams are playing selected games under Latinx names. Tonight the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders are playing as the "Vejigantes", wearing light blue jerseys with red sleeves and yellow lettering/numbers, and white pants. They even have a "new" logo, which is even being used on the TV graphics. 
D5p2lN0W4AAodq_.pngMB77-WRBD-WRR-ZRD_246.jpgvej1_246.jpg

The story about the RailRiders participation is here. According to the announcers on tonight's game, teams only do it for home games. They said tonight's opponent, the Durham Bulls, play as the "Toros" in their version.

I wonder if anyone has images from other MiLB teams in the Copa de la Diversión.

CK3ZP8E.jpg