2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

Man I love a good flameout. I know people who know Urban Meyer through connections with Ohio State and he's widely considered to be a complete a$$hole so I laughed when the Jaguars hired him because he's exactly the kind of egomaniac college coach who can't handle the additional constraints and loss of control that comes with the position in the NFL. I thought he'd be a disaster in the NFL for that reason, but I thought he'd be a boring, run-of-the-mill disaster. Like an unremarkable 6-11 season followed by a forgettable 5-12 season and then he leaves before year 3 because of his "health". I did not expect him to be such a psycho and so so very stupid. The expectations for him sucking were high and he still exceeded them. I cannot believe he was worse than we all thought he would be. 

Let's look at some of his greatest hits with the Jags: 

- Hired a known racist as strength coach. 

- Tried out 34 year old Tim Tebow at a position he's never played.

-  Said vaccine status would be a factor in personnel decisions, which IMO is the right call, but this was his first run-in with having to deal with a player's association and not being able to just do or say whatever whenever anymore. 

- Blew a 14 point lead to the Bengals on TNF, didn't travel back with the team, went to his restaurant in Columbus, had a sad night out with the boys, got photographed with a young woman who is not his wife.

- Weird treatment of James Robinson who Trevor Lawrence stuck up for in a press conference. 

- Jags players repeatedly told players on other teams how he didn't treat them like adults. 

- Telling his staff they were losers and he had a better staff at Bowling Green.

- Challenged each coach individually to explain when they've ever won and forcing them to defend their resumes.

- Publicly fighting with several players.

- Kicking the kicker and telling him "I'm the head ball coach I can kick you whenever the :censored: I want".

- Wasted a year of Trevor Lawrence's development and a year of his rookie contract. 

What a jackass. 

• Like 16

PvO6ZWJ.png

37 minutes ago, LMU said:

I would trust a wrestler more than a college coach as an NFL head coach. They at least know that your players aren’t chattel you can push around and that their own job security is always in risk.

College coaches are more akin to cult leaders than professional sports figures. Look at the drama when God Emperor Paterno was found out at Penn State, or when Sun King Dave Bliss thought he could get away with obstructing a murder investigation. There’s also the classic case of Holy Bloomington Emperor Bobby Knight, brought down by his mounting incompetence and his close subjects having enough of him.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I would trust a wrestler more than a college coach as an NFL head coach

I've been saying it for most of the season...HEAD COACH JR! The Khans already have him under contract! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I would trust a wrestler more than a college coach as an NFL head coach. They at least know that your players aren’t chattel you can push around and that their own job security is always in risk.

I'll be reminded of you when somebody hires Goldberg as their head coach and he bodyslams the first player who mistakes him for Steve Austin 😄

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

They hired a guy who has a history of health problems popping up whenever things get difficult to coach the Jacksonville Jaguars, which is never not difficult. All to gain additional support from a fanbase that doesn't even like the guy.

• Like 2

IUe6Hvh.png

4 hours ago, Sport said:

- Blew a 14 point lead to the Bengals on TNF, didn't travel back with the team, went to his restaurant in Columbus, had a sad night out with the boys, got photographed with a young woman who is not his wife.

What a jackass. 

Defector had a good line on this, essentially replacing "with" with "in." LOL. Urban Meyer in the NFL will be a joke forever and we're all the better for it. I'm so happy he didn't make a complete season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Dennis Green was a generally successful head coach that came to the Vikings from Stanford.

It seems like there have been several high-profile disasters (Holtz, Spurrier, Saban, etc.) but I don't know that every one that doesn't win a Super Bowl is automatically bad.

I think the problem is that most successful coaches are at a place that just recruits better players than the majority of their opponents. There is no FCS or Vanderbilt in the NFL. So when they go to the NFL, the opportunity to get players is essentially equal. I don't think it means they could not be successful but it means they lose all their advantage.

Some guys should not even try...like PJ Fleck at Minnesota. He's all about the Rah-Rah and that's much more of a college thing.
  • Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Defector had a good line on this, essentially replacing "with" with "in." LOL. Urban Meyer in the NFL will be a joke forever and we're all the better for it. I'm so happy he didn't make a complete season.

It was like weekly, if not daily, comedy for about 5 months. Is this the most disastrous tenure any NFL head coach has ever had start to finish? The Barry Melrose 16 game stint with the Lightning in 2008 comes to mind where it was instantly obvious to everyone that the guy wasn't going to work. I can't believe Urban lasted 14 games. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Are we watching the same NFL?

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

30 minutes ago, Sport said:

Is this the most disastrous tenure any NFL head coach has ever had start to finish?

Bobby Petrino has to be in the conversation. At least Meyer was fired. Petrino bailed on the Falcons by leaving the team a note - which I'm pretty sure is the same way he bailed on the Arkansas volleyball player that was riding with him when he wrecked a perfectly good Harley. Some things are unforgivable. That bike deserved much better. 🙃

• Like 8

BB52Big.jpg

6 hours ago, CS85 said:

Leftwhich is a candidate I like, and him going to Jacksonville would be an interesting homecoming, but there's speculation that he may be the heir apparent to Arians and why would he want to depart a really good situation in Tampa to go to the dumpster fire that is Jacksonville?  We'll see.  He'd be a great fit there, though.

Do the bucs have a plan post Brady though? Atleast the jaguars have Lawrence.

On 10/10/2021 at 10:41 PM, the admiral said:

The track record for college--->NFL coaches is so abysmal that there's no way it could have been anything but a cynical cash grab. This has been a bigger :censored:show than the Bobby Petrino experience and there are weeks to go. He's out with "health problems" by Thanksgiving.

I was so close

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

From worst in the AFC West in Week 7 to best in the AFC by Week 15. This has been a hell of a run. Glad to see the offense come back to life.

Also, Parham’s injury was horrendous. Never seen a guy hit his head so hard they had to remove the facemask. I really hope he’s alright. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Some guys should not even try...like PJ Fleck at Minnesota. He's all about the Rah-Rah and that's much more of a college thing.

Man...that would be a most glorious clown show if I could ever imagine one. 

Regarding KC@SDLAC...when you're tired AF, you take poor angles like the Bolts did...and when you take poor angles, you make Travis Kelce look like friggin' Barry Sanders...hell, dude looked shocked that no one so much as touched him on that walkoff TD.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

So WFT is going to be starting a QB that they are just signing off someone else’s practice squad today since their top 2 QBs have Covid. 

they have 20 people in the protocol, and apparently the outbreak was caused by an unvaccinated moron (Sweat). I thought the NFL made a point to say that if a team couldn’t play due to an outbreak caused by an unvaccinated dope, they’d have to forfeit. At what point is it unsafe just from a numbers / skill standpoint to make a team play? If they’re forced to start guys that shouldn’t even be in the NFL, it’s just not safe for them to be up against legit players. 

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."