2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

31 minutes ago, dont care said:

Announcers are definitely biased. You’d be a fool to think otherwise.

Not to the extent that fans complain about. They complain about it as if national broadcasters are biased like local sports radio. Which they aren’t, not even close. 

• Like 3

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

3 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Not to the extent that fans complain about. They complain about it as if national broadcasters are biased like local sports radio. Which they aren’t, not even close. 

They’re bland more than anything. Watching games with the mute button on is what I generally do, when I watch.

• Like 4

Richard Sherman looking washed tonight, career probably after this stint with the Bucs -- which brings up the "HOF or not HOF" question. I'm directly on the fence about Sherman, which means he probably gets in with how deluded the classes have been over the last several years

6uXNWAo.png

14 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Richard Sherman looking washed tonight, career probably after this stint with the Bucs -- which brings up the "HOF or not HOF" question. I'm directly on the fence about Sherman, which means he probably gets in with how deluded the classes have been over the last several years

Is Bo Jackson in the hall of fame? I think Sherman's peak was as good as Jackson's. For two years, he was by far the best DB in the league and it wasn't close.

Hasn't been the same for a bit though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

20 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Is Bo Jackson in the hall of fame? I think Sherman's peak was as good as Jackson's. For two years, he was by far the best DB in the league and it wasn't close.

Hasn't been the same for a bit though.

Bo Jackson is a poor comp. He played like NFL five seasons with zero postseason accomplishments. Oh, and he played RB, not DB. If you're gonna compare Bo to anyone, do it with Terrell Davis

• Like 5

6uXNWAo.png

It's been an entertaining back and forth game. All I can say at this point really.

Also, Bill's son, whatever his name is that's doing Defense I think, looks like he got a pack of Camels and spits dip into a Gatorade cup between snaps.

• Like 3

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

On 9/30/2021 at 7:14 PM, Red Comet said:

Uh, yeah, in a league where wealth, power and fame intersect along with the very rare human specimen that can play in the NFL, you’re going to have a lot of sociopathic pricks at every level. And no matter what anyone does to try and change that, it’s always going to be that way just donning a more socially acceptable face. Same goes for every industry/field where money, power and fame intersect. 

I don’t know, I’m with Charles Barkley when it comes to athletes and being role models. 

Sure, some pro athletes have money and fame. But what power do they have? They don't own or dictate anything, and are constantly one move or injury away from being out of the league.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

don't understand Michaels and Colinsworth's  love for Mac Jones for the life of me. Am I missing something? The Patriots have the NFL's 27th ranked offense and are 1-3 with their only win coming against the Jets. They're averaging 18 points per game. Didn't he throw 3 picks last week? Cam at least had them .500 last year with no receivers and no defense. I can't think of what more he would have to do to prove everyone who wanted him over Cam wrong. Someone please help me out.

Well, That certainly wasn't the game I thought it would be. LOL 

Frustrating that the Patriots didn't win, but it ended up being a hell of a lot closer than I thought it would be. 

I still don't understand that 4th down decision though. Why wouldn't you go for it after Mac was playing so well? Kick wasn't a guaranteed and even if he did make it, there was still 59 seconds & 2 TO for Brady. 

9 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

don't understand Michaels and Colinsworth's  love for Mac Jones for the life of me. Am I missing something? The Patriots have the NFL's 27th ranked offense and are 1-3 with their only win coming against the Jets. They're averaging 18 points per game. Didn't he throw 3 picks last week? Cam at least had them .500 last year with no receivers and no defense. I can't think of what more he would have to do to prove everyone who wanted him over Cam wrong. Someone please help me out.

Patriots have played some pretty stingy defenses, so I don't think it's entirely their fault. Biggest factor I think is not having Trent Brown. That Jets game was the only one he played in and since then he's faced a significant amount of pressure.

At this point I would 100% take Mac over Cam. Cam couldn't throw for crap & made a lot of dumb decisions. Mac is far more smarter and accurate than Cam was. Personally, I think he outplayed Brady despite the loss. Though of course the fact that Tampa has no secondary & Brady was unusually sloppy also played a factor.  

Say what you want about Mac Jones, but given how he's played, what rookie QB would you rather have over him?

12 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

Patriots have played some pretty stingy defenses, so I don't think it's entirely their fault. Biggest factor I think is not having Trent Brown. That Jets game was the only one he played in and since then he's faced a significant amount of pressure.

At this point I would 100% take Mac over Cam. Cam couldn't throw for crap & made a lot of dumb decisions. Mac is far more smarter and accurate than Cam was. Personally, I think he outplayed Brady despite the loss. Though of course the fact that Tampa has no secondary & Brady was unusually sloppy also played a factor.  

Say what you want about Mac Jones, but given how he's played, what rookie QB would you rather have over him?

Cam had arguably the worst receiving corps this millennium last year. He didn't get any excuses from anyone so I wouldn't give Mac any. I don't know, I just think if Mac was so much smarter and so much more accurate, they would score more points or win more games than they did with Cam (neither of which are happening). And it's unfair to compare him to other rookies, because he wasn't competing with a rookie. He was competing with a former league MVP who by any measure has outperformed him in a Patriots uniform so far.

I would take Lawrence, Lance, or Fields over him. I feel like the others have so much more athleticism that gives them room for improvement. Jones is far closer to his ceiling and the Patriots offense has been basically horrible. A lot of that has to fall on the QB.

My main gripe is with his hype though. If announcers want to point out that it's his rookie year and he'll get better, okay. But to act like he had a fantastic game that Patriots fans should rejoice over when they scored 17 points is crazy.

• Like 3

I am no Patriot fan or Mac Jones fan but if you watched the game tonight and thought Mac Jones played poorly I would wonder if I ever knew what playing good looks like. He made some really good throws and showed a lot of poise but come up short. If anything I would question kicking the field goal there. Could Cam do better I seriously doubt he would as the Pats offense did not really fit him well.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

Cam had arguably the worst receiving corps this millennium last year. He didn't get any excuses from anyone so I wouldn't give Mac any. I don't know, I just think if Mac was so much smarter and so much more accurate, they would score more points or win more games than they did with Cam (neither of which are happening). And it's unfair to compare him to other rookies, because he wasn't competing with a rookie. He was competing with a former league MVP who by any measure has outperformed him in a Patriots uniform so far.

I would take Lawrence, Lance, or Fields over him. I feel like the others have so much more athleticism that gives them room for improvement. Jones is far closer to his ceiling and the Patriots offense has been basically horrible. A lot of that has to fall on the QB.

My main gripe is with his hype though. If announcers want to point out that it's his rookie year and he'll get better, okay. But to act like he had a fantastic game that Patriots fans should rejoice over when they scored 17 points is crazy.

I don't understand what your problem with Mac is. As a rookie QB he's done just about everything you could ask of someone in his position. 

He outplayed Brady while being under far more pressure than he was all game. I doubt many (if any) of the rookie QB could have done better. Fact is he is playing better than the QBs taken before him. 

The losses so far haven't been on him, at least not entirely. Miami was a game they 100% should have won, but fumbled it away. NO was just a bad game all around, and against Tampa again he did everything you could ask of someone going against Tom Brady.  It's not his fault the Patriots were held to -1 rushing yards. Even then they were a doink away from possibly winning it. 

• Yawn 1

19 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

I don't understand what your problem with Mac is. As a rookie QB he's done just about everything you could ask of someone in his position. 

He outplayed Brady while being under far more pressure than he was all game. I doubt many (if any) of the rookie QB could have done better. Fact is he is playing better than the QBs taken before him. 

The losses so far haven't been on him, at least not entirely. Miami was a game they 100% should have won, but fumbled it away. NO was just a bad game all around, and against Tampa again he did everything you could ask of someone going against Tom Brady.  It's not his fault the Patriots were held to -1 rushing yards. 

I don't have a problem with Mac, I just don't think he's done anything to validate the Mac over Cam decision. The Patriots scored more points per game and had a higher winning percentage last year with a roster that clearly wasn't as talented. I also think that if Cam had started this year and had the Patriots with the 27th ranked offense, everyone would be talking about how washed up he is. But when Mac does it, he's heralded as the next king. It almost seems like the narrative was written before the season and was going to be applied no matter what actually happened on the field. No matter what, Cam was going to get crucified if he had started and Mac was going to get every excuse imaginable thrown his way.

The Patriots are on pace to go 4-12. At what point does that become disappointing? Year 2? Year 3? Never?

1 hour ago, hugevolsfan said:

Could Cam do better I seriously doubt he would as the Pats offense did not really fit him well.

Cam did better (points scored per game) in the exact same offense last year (except for not having their current top 3 receiving options).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

I don't have a problem with Mac, I just don't think he's done anything to validate the Mac over Cam decision. The Patriots scored more points per game and had a higher winning percentage last year with a roster that clearly wasn't as talented. I also think that if Cam had started this year and had the Patriots with the 27th ranked offense, everyone would be talking about how washed up he is. But when Mac does it, he's heralded as the next king. It almost seems like the narrative was written before the season and was going to be applied no matter what actually happened on the field. No matter what, Cam was going to get crucified if he had started and Mac was going to get every excuse imaginable thrown his way.

The Patriots are on pace to go 4-12. At what point does that become disappointing? Year 2? Year 3? Never?

Cam had like 8 TDS & 10 INTs last year. I think you're exaggerating how good he was. 

Also I think the Patriots are better than their records shows. They could easily be 3-1 or 2-2 right now if Harris didn't fumble or that FG went through. 

Mac is still a rookie so he does deserve a bit more leeway than a veteran like Cam. But regardless, the fact is you can't really blame him for these losses. If it was Cam,

1. He doesn't throw 20 straight completions for the go ahead score.

2. Even if he does, they wouldn't be blaming him for the loss or the bad start because those losses (outside of NO) were really damn close games and weren't lost because the QB played bad. 

• Yawn 1

7 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Cam had like 8 TDS & 10 INTs last year. I think you're exaggerating how good he was. 

Also I think the Patriots are better than their records shows. They could easily be 3-1 or 2-2 right now if Harris didn't fumble or that FG went through. 

Mac is still a rookie so he does deserve a bit more leeway than a veteran like Cam. But regardless, the fact is you can't really blame him for these losses. If it was Cam,

1. He doesn't throw 20 straight completions for the go ahead score.

2. Even if he does, they wouldn't be blaming him for the loss or the bad start because those losses (outside of NO) were really damn close games and weren't lost because the QB played bad. 

Cam had 20 touchdowns last year. It makes no sense to exclude rushing touchdowns. Mac Jones is on pace for 16 touchdowns (less) and 16 interceptions (more). I'm not saying Cam was great last year, but he was better than Mac Jones has been so far in every conceivable way. With a much worse supporting staff.

They chose to start a rookie over a veteran, so I don't get why that would change anything. I'm not criticizing Jones, I'm criticizing Bellichick/McDaniels.

These are the facts. The Patriots are scoring fewer points this year. The Patriots are winning fewer games this year. Mac Jones is on pace to score fewer touchdowns while throwing more interceptions this year. I just think the way that that those facts have been spun is funny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwuascenario said:

Cam had 20 touchdowns last year. It makes no sense to exclude rushing touchdowns. Mac Jones is on pace for 16 touchdowns (less) and 16 interceptions (more). I'm not saying Cam was great last year, but he was better than Mac Jones has been so far in every conceivable way. With a much worse supporting staff.

They chose to start a rookie over a veteran, so I don't get why that would change anything. I'm not criticizing Jones, I'm criticizing Bellichick/McDaniels.

These are the facts. The Patriots are scoring fewer points this year. The Patriots are winning fewer games this year. Mac Jones is on pace to score fewer touchdowns while throwing more interceptions this year. I just think the way that that those facts have been spun is funny.

Kids, when comparing QBs, always make sure to include rushing TDs when talking about passing. 🙄

• Like 1