MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

Although I don’t like the City program so far for MLB, I do appreciate that Nike has been willing to try some new things with the uniforms (dark monochrome for half the teams, reverse pinstripes for the Marlins and White Sox, gradients for the Astros, & seemingly larger stripes for the Royals), things that deviate from the traditional baseball aesthetic.

I just wish that innovation was employed more on regular sets as opposed to jerseys that are purposefully distinct from the main identity.

• Like 5

On 4/21/2022 at 4:29 PM, coco1997 said:

I'll reserve full judgment until they're released or we see higher-res photos, but honestly, I might ... really like these? I love oversized sleeve cuffs/stripes on baseball jerseys and think this could really work.

6fQjS3M.png

15 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Are we sure the Royals jerseys are actually navy and it's not just weird lighting in a blurry photo?

Well we already know the hats a navy and the jerseys are the same color as the hats so yeah they are navy.

14 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Although I don’t like the City program so far for MLB, I do appreciate that Nike has been willing to try some new things with the uniforms (dark monochrome for half the teams, reverse pinstripes for the Marlins and White Sox, gradients for the Astros, & seemingly larger stripes for the Royals), things that deviate from the traditional baseball aesthetic.

I just wish that innovation was employed more on regular sets as opposed to jerseys that are purposefully distinct from the main identity.

with ads coming they will be limited in their creations.

not only do ads look horrible, it also interferes with new designs and creative thinking.

"oh right, we cant do that, that is where the ads patch goes"

I could be mistaken, but I am under the impression that the Marlins have not worn their black alternates even once this season so far. It could this be the end of an error? They typically wore them on Fridays and Saturdays but during the current Braves series, they've been sporting the road greys instead. It sure seems like they've been mothballed to me.

Maybe after three seasons, they finally decided to scrap those jerseys which were pretty widely ridiculed. Perhaps they plan on doing more with the City Connect jerseys (very popular) as they get deeper into the season.

My gut tells me that they will replace the black alternate with a blue alternate for 2023. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I could be mistaken, but I am under the impression that the Marlins have not worn their black alternates even once this season so far. It could this be the end of an error? They typically wore them on Fridays and Saturdays but during the current Braves series, they've been sporting the road greys instead. It sure seems like they've been mothballed to me.

Maybe after three seasons, they finally decided to scrap those jerseys which were pretty widely ridiculed. Perhaps they plan on doing more with the City Connect jerseys (very popular) as they get deeper into the season.

My gut tells me that they will replace the black alternate with a blue alternate for 2023. 

They may be on the list of supply chain issue missing uniforms that a bunch of teams are dealing with. They wouldn’t be that bad if they weren’t black on black or their blue being a better color. This is one team that should just go back to the start. Their og colors were amazing as well as their F logo. Unfortunately they seemed to become more of a black and silver team in that era.

KISSwall09.jpg

11 minutes ago, hormone said:

They may be on the list of supply chain issue missing uniforms that a bunch of teams are dealing with. They wouldn’t be that bad if they weren’t black on black or their blue being a better color. This is one team that should just go back to the start. Their og colors were amazing as well as their F logo. Unfortunately they seemed to become more of a black and silver team in that era.

I heard something about supply chain issues but haven't been paying close attention. That's a plausible explanation.

Which teams were facing those problems? And is that still presenting an issue for them?

52 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I heard something about supply chain issues but haven't been paying close attention. That's a plausible explanation.

Which teams were facing those problems? And is that still presenting an issue for them?

I think someone listed them somewhere in the 40+ pages 😆 I know Phillies, rangers for sure. Some teams used their ST jerseys like the reds (right? The red one with Mr reds head) and the rays ST jersey became their alternate. There was also a post about limiting jerseys to 4…which between that rule or supply chain can explain the lack of navy rays jerseys (white, gray, Columbia blue, devil rays) cause they wore them 90% of the time home and road

KISSwall09.jpg

On 4/22/2022 at 2:33 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

So, I got a private message on Wikipedia.   Someone passed this onto me:

This true?   Anyone able to confirm or deny?   It would explain some of the missing alts that are not specifically stated to be supply issues.

As far as this season is concerned, it is not true.  According to MLB The Show, which strictly adheres to an official style guide given to them directly from Major League Baseball, teams like the Twins, Blue Jays, and Mariners all have more than 4 official uniform options.  Now whether it IS a rule or not, and MLB might've given teams a grace period i dont know, but for this season that would be a no.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

1 hour ago, itsmb8 said:

As far as this season is concerned, it is not true.  According to MLB The Show, which strictly adheres to an official style guide given to them directly from Major League Baseball, teams like the Twins, Blue Jays, and Mariners all have more than 4 official uniform options.  Now whether it IS a rule or not, and MLB might've given teams a grace period i dont know, but for this season that would be a no.

I wouldn’t use a video game as reference, there were plenty of years with madden games having orange pants for the bears and such because they were in the style guide, turns out the pants never existed

• Like 3

I wonder if the supply chain bug hit the O's in this weekend series. Black uniforms are typically reserved for Fridays only, but they've worn it all weekend. Angels wore white all weekend too, so it's not like they were forced into black to avoid a matchup of orange vs red, for instance.

Side note: I'm waiting for Fanatics to restock those jerseys. Definitely regret not buying an additional jersey from the team store on Black Friday last year 😅

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

1 hour ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

I wonder if the supply chain bug hit the O's in this weekend series. Black uniforms are typically reserved for Fridays only, but they've worn it all weekend. Angels wore white all weekend too, so it's not like they were forced into black to avoid a matchup of orange vs red, for instance.

Side note: I'm waiting for Fanatics to restock those jerseys. Definitely regret not buying an additional jersey from the team store on Black Friday last year 😅

Orioles wore orange and gray jerseys in Tampa two weeks ago so it looks like they have all of the sets. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The jerseys are a tribute to the city's iconic fountains and art deco architecture.  They are navy as a reference to past teams.  The sleeve logo is a homage to the Royals original logo.   First game April 30.

Also, from the ESPN article I got all this info from, they were also chosing between designs referencing BBQ and jazz.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1
  • Hurl 1

7 hours ago, beachperroAZ said:

I also noticed that the Dbacks haven’t used their teal set nor the snake head hats all season.  Come to think of it none of the alt red or black jerseys either. Did they also get hit with supply chain issues?

They wore the snake head hats against the Mets on Jackie Robinson day. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 4/23/2022 at 11:01 PM, hormone said:

I think someone listed them somewhere in the 40+ pages 😆 I know Phillies, rangers for sure. Some teams used their ST jerseys like the reds (right? The red one with Mr reds head) and the rays ST jersey became their alternate. There was also a post about limiting jerseys to 4…which between that rule or supply chain can explain the lack of navy rays jerseys (white, gray, Columbia blue, devil rays) cause they wore them 90% of the time home and road

I definitely believe the Reds are on the supply  chain issue. They wore white all three games vs St. Louis at home this weekend. Usually for home day games, they wear their red alts with the "Reds" cursive script. The only time they didn't wear standard home/road, they wore their ST with the Mr. Redlegs head.

1 hour ago, M4One said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The jerseys are a tribute to the city's iconic fountains and art deco architecture.  They are navy as a reference to past teams.  The sleeve logo is a homage to the Royals original logo.   First game April 30.

Also, from the ESPN article I got all this info from, they were also chosing between designs referencing BBQ and jazz.

Love the 80-ish? style thick sleeve stripes. Wish more teams would bring them back.

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I feel like these hats find a way to get uglier and uglier every year. 

• Like 1