MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

1 hour ago, itsmb8 said:

Has there been an update on if Nike is using a new template for this season?

thought that last year was going to be the first year for the new template, but everything got pushed back by a season because the world got sick, so this year would be it.  What's weird is that I thought there were some photos taken that showed a couple one-offs of the new template (for some reason I'm thinking the Royals were one) but then when the Royals rolled out their updates, it was on the old (current) template.

TL;DR,

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

24 minutes ago, BBTV said:

thought that last year was going to be the first year for the new template, but everything got pushed back by a season because the world got sick, so this year would be it.  What's weird is that I thought there were some photos taken that showed a couple one-offs of the new template (for some reason I'm thinking the Royals were one) but then when the Royals rolled out their updates, it was on the old (current) template.

TL;DR,

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was the Royals. That was a weird quiet rollout and they were never seen again. Makes me wonder if that was a mistake. 

XM4KeeA.png

3 hours ago, insert name said:

It was the Royals. That was a weird quiet rollout and they were never seen again. Makes me wonder if that was a mistake. 

idk if nike thinks so or not, but it definitely was a mistake.  Was NOT a fan of that template.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

12 minutes ago, insert name said:

Mets 60th Anniversary logo

Very nice. It fits perfectly within the team's aesthetic 

What is startling to realise is that the Mets have now existed for longer than the Yankees had existed when the Mets started.  This is nuts because, when I was a kid in the early 1970s, we fans of the venerable Yankees would put down fans of the recently-created Mets by saying "You have no history." 

Of course, then the Met fans would retort: "Which team has won more World Series in the past five years?"

• Like 5

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, insert name said:

Mets 60th Anniversary logo. Completely crossed my mind 2022 is suppose to be their 60th season. 

Here's current Mets manager, Buck Showalter,  with the Orioles 60th anniversary patch in 2014
spacer.png

• Like 4

On 1/1/2022 at 11:40 AM, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

I would doubt it, for uniforms at least, because they probably want to use players as models for any new uniforms

Now that I think of it, it's probably a tougher sell at the moment since teams can't use the players to sell those new jerseys. You'd have a situation where, for instance, if the Guardians dropped their new uniforms today, you'd probably only be able to get the blank jerseys and customs off of Fanatics, MLB Shop, team stores at the stadiums, etc. since the players can't be used for profit during the lockout. I could be wrong, but that's my theory. Pretty sure player jerseys are the great majority of what sells, and maybe blanks are a close second.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

1 hour ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

Now that I think of it, it's probably a tougher sell at the moment since teams can't use the players to sell those new jerseys. You'd have a situation where, for instance, if the Guardians dropped their new uniforms today, you'd probably only be able to get the blank jerseys and customs off of Fanatics, MLB Shop, team stores at the stadiums, etc. since the players can't be used for profit during the lockout. I could be wrong, but that's my theory. Pretty sure player jerseys are the great majority of what sells, and maybe blanks are a close second.

Every other team can sell player merchandise during the lockout. Fanatics hasn't stopped selling player merchandise in the last month or so. 

Lids/Fanatics is selling Nike Guardians players shirseys

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

18 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

But if a team dropped new uniforms, would they use players to model them? Or would they just show a graphic? That's what I was getting at.  Seems like a bad time to do it.

They absolutely 100% could not use players to model them.  Since all player contracts are subject to the terms of the CBA, while there's a lockout, it's basically like they're not employees of the team (unless they withdrew from the union, which isn't happening.)

I have no idea if they could use real player jerseys on mannequins or other models, but it's not likely that they'd even wade into those waters.  You may see blanks unveiled by the team, and then let 3rd-party sites sell the player-lettered versions.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Every other team can sell player merchandise during the lockout. Fanatics hasn't stopped selling player merchandise in the last month or so. 

Lids/Fanatics is selling Nike Guardians players shirseys

My gods - that NOB is horrible.  Just looking at it gives me a headache.  If the bottoms of the A, M, R, etc were flat, maybe it wouldn't play so many tricks with my eyes, but as it is, I'll need an advil if I ever happen to see one of their games.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BBTV said:

My gods - that NOB is horrible.  Just looking at it gives me a headache.  If the bottoms of the A, M, R, etc were flat, maybe it wouldn't play so many tricks with my eyes, but as it is, I'll need an advil if I ever happen to see one of their games.

I don’t mind it. That team’s identity has been bad since the 90s when they wore more red and dreadfully boring since they adopted the C logo. They are at least trying something new.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BBTV said:

It’s bad typography, plain and simple. I still like the faux-cursive script, but NOB lettering font is just so bad. It probably would’ve been better to just update the block C and go full-blown into slab-serif land.

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

But if a team dropped new uniforms, would they use players to model them? Or would they just show a graphic? That's what I was getting at.  Seems like a bad time to do it.

They’d use the college model when unveiling uniforms. Get accouple models and put them in “player” 22 jerseys

I guess maybe teams feel that it'd be a bad look and there could be some backlash if they unveil new uniforms to sell when they're fighting the players over money and technically there's a small chance that there won't be a season.  

I don't know how much jersey sales are as a proportion of overall merch sales so maybe as long as they have shirseys and other new stuff out there it doesn't matter too much.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

It's hard to believe that place is only 30 years old. It feels like an all-time classic, arguably in the same class as Wrigley and Fenway.

Yeah, the designers hit a home run there. They knocked that park out of the park. 

• Like 4