NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

1 minute ago, dont care said:

In addition to losing Brady, they had no extra money because they used it on free agents to win their last three Super Bowls. Brady was the biggest piece to go, but even outside of that the rest of the team was a shell of what it was 2 years before that.

That team was bad because Belichick refused to go sign outside free agents the year before, thinking that Brady could just elevate them once again. Granted, they had just won the (lowest scoring) Super Bowl (ever) a year prior, but that was no excuse to not bring everyone back and/or try to upgrade. When Brady left the year after, it really exposed how lackluster the Pats talent group really was. The salary cap didn't play as big of a role as you're painting it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

That team was bad because Belichick refused to go sign outside free agents the year before, thinking that Brady could just elevate them once again. Granted, they had just won the (lowest scoring) Super Bowl (ever) a year prior, but that was no excuse to not bring everyone back and/or try to upgrade. When Brady left the year after, it really exposed how lackluster the Pats talent group really was. The salary cap didn't play as big of a role as you're painting it.

Except you are missing the point that they had no money to sign

24 minutes ago, dont care said:

In addition to losing Brady, they had no extra money because they used it on free agents to win their last three Super Bowls. Brady was the biggest piece to go, but even outside of that the rest of the team was a shell of what it was 2 years before that.

LOL who were these big name free agents that they signed that supposedly won them their Super Bowls while simultaneously gobbling up their cap space? MAYBE Gilmore in 2018?

I'm also pretty confident the Patriots were top 5 in cap space the moment Brady left the team. Their salary cap woes started last offseason. Not the offseason prior.

• Like 2
On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

4 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I feel like there should be real-life evidence of this, but I can't think of a team in recent history that has.

And that’s exactly my point. When Ravens fans complain we’re not in for every big ticket free agent, the usual, levelheaded response is to say we don’t have the cap space for them. But if teams can just willfully manipulate the cap without ramifications, then that argument sort of falls to pieces. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

5 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

What is even happening this off season? 

I don’t know, but I hope my team at least goes for him now that we don’t have Tyreek Hill.

And apparently they are per Ian Rapoport. Why tf are the Lions and Jets a potential landing spot, though?

Edited by Red Comet

2 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

If the NFL wants to keep it's "Any Given Sunday" parity, then it needs to do something...fast.

That ship sailed years ago. Maybe five-eighths of the league is subject to year-over-year parity; the overclass and underclass are pretty much set in stone at this point.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I don’t know, but I hope my team at least goes for him now that we don’t have Tyreek Hill.

And apparently they are per Ian Rapoport. Why tf are the Lions and Jets a potential landing spot, though?

My question is what happened inside San Francisco's locker room to lead Samuel to even want a trade in the 1st place?

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

16 minutes ago, tBBP said:

My question is what happened inside San Francisco's locker room to lead Samuel to even want a trade in the 1st place?

We haven't roasted Jed York in a while. The 49ers sniffed some recent success. The last time they did they ran their talent out of town; stands to reason the same thing is happening again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 4/17/2022 at 10:25 PM, DoctorWhom said:

So Sunny Nashville will get a dome, but the frozen arctic of Buffalo is fully open. 

Makes perfect sense.  

They're expected to be in use by 2026 right? I guess these stadiums will be  Super Bowl host cities when the league decides to pick the next places to go to. Currently, the known hosts are up to 2025.

On 4/20/2022 at 2:39 PM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

This...might be a problem. 

If the Bucs, Rams, and Browns (especially the Browns) aren't more handicapped than an elbow-less man in a wheelchair within the next 5-10 years, then the salary cap will become useless (if it isn't already), free agency will be more of a bidding war then before, and we'll see most GMs with half a brain (sorry, Bears & Lions) and owner's funding competing in an arms race to stack up talent to make superteams, much like what we've seen in the NBA over the past decade. If the NFL wants to keep it's "Any Given Sunday" parity, then it needs to do something...fast.

All the talk about how the Rams don't need the draft, etc. kind of ignores that one of the biggest components of their roster, Aaron Donald, was a home-grown 1st Round draft pick.

Coincidentally, if everything hasn't fallen apart by the time he leaves, it will when he leaves.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So if I am Atlanta, Carolina and Seattle, do I pass on a QB this year in the draft, and go with the guys I have in the hopes to be in line for CJ Stroud or Bryce Young?  And do you guys expect other teams like the Giants, Lions, Texans, Eagles and Dolphins to be line for either of them if the guy they have doesn't work?  I think the Steelers take a QB and I think somehow, someway they will find a way to finish with 8 or 9 wins.  

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

So if I am Atlanta, Carolina and Seattle, do I pass on a QB this year in the draft, and go with the guys I have in the hopes to be in line for CJ Stroud or Bryce Young?  And do you guys expect other teams like the Giants, Lions, Texans, Eagles and Dolphins to be line for either of them if the guy they have doesn't work?  I think the Steelers take a QB and I think somehow, someway they will find a way to finish with 8 or 9 wins.  

I think Seattle's going to pick up that guy with small hands if he's still available.

The Seahawks like doing things on hard mode.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

22 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think Seattle's going to pick up that guy with small hands if he's still available.

The fact they re-signed Geno Smith proves this. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Pretty much.  It will be interesting to see what happens to this upcoming draft class 4 years from now.  Either the QB's drafted in round one, Willis, Pickett, Ridder and Corral (maybe even Sam Howell) all become the answers the teams that draft them are looking for or they are in the same position someone like Daniel Jones is now, where there's a new regime and that new regime is hemming and hawing on whether to pick up their 5th year option or be so bad that by year 3 of their NFL careers, they are traded.

It will be interesting to see who goes after CJ Stroud and Bryce Young next year if both come out.  

On 4/18/2022 at 3:36 PM, Red Comet said:

Makes sense considering Nashville is also planning on hosting the Final Four/Super Bowl and honestly has a lot more to do there than Buffalo. Even has a better hockey team than Buffalo too. 

They'll get exactly one Super Bowl. Maybe 2-3 Final Fours at most through the life of the stadium.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

On 4/18/2022 at 10:11 PM, Crabcake said:

He’s a stud. Easy top 10 corner and arguably in the top 5. He probably deserves that contract but still, that’s a lot of money to tie up in 2 players for an organization that, at the end of the day, has still only won one playoff game in, like, forever. 

I understand that in the NFL you need to go all in, especially when you actually hit on high end talent in the draft and free agency, but man if this blows up in the Browns’ faces, it is going to be epic to watch. 

If Baker wins a SB with the Steelers and Watson doesn't win one with the Browns, Cleveland might implode.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

1 hour ago, throwuascenario said:

They'll get exactly one Super Bowl. Maybe 2-3 Final Fours at most through the life of the stadium.

If San Antonio can get five, next one is 2025, I think Nashville could see four. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, throwuascenario said:

Still, that's so not worth building an indoor stadium for. Let alone the fact that they don't need a new stadium at all.

Since events like that can bring in millions, it's always going to be part of the sale.  If the city doesn't feel they need the new stadium they can always say no.  Getting more than 10-12 events in a stadium is necessary now when building these stadiums. It's why you have bowl games in places like Boise, Idaho. 

4 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

Unless they move to the CFL model and pass the games around the whole league I can see Nashville getting a game every 8-10 years. Unless Kansas City also gets a dome, I can't see the NFL playing a game there any time soon.  Dallas, Miami, Los Angeles, Santa Clara, Minneapolis, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Phoenix and Indianapolis are pretty much it for hosting the Super Bowl right now.  That stadium will be expected to last at least 25-35 years when it's complete. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png