College Football 2022

MJWalker45

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Two things that come to mind for me to monitor:

- How will this effect how conference championship games are handled.  Will we see divisions dissolved and take a top 2 structure (like the current Big 12)?  Will conference championship games be eliminated?

- I read this a few months ago when the CFP expansion was announced, but could we see some domes and neutral site games holding first round games?  Of course, campus sites would be preferred but maybe an emergency dome site (Indy, Detroit, Minnesota) could be held in case of major weather concerns.

The Pac-12 went divisionless this season, and the ACC, American, and Mountain West will join them in that next year. I imagine the SEC and Big Ten will as well once Texas/Oklahoma and USC/UCLA join. Soon enough, the only conferences that still have them will be G5 leagues like the Sun Belt trying to keep travel costs down.

I'm not a huge fan of it, tbh. The Pac-12 showed us the flaws of a divisionless system this year by having a 3 way tie between Utah, Oregon, and Washington where Utah and Washington didn't play each other (which I have no idea how Utah was the winner considering they lost to Oregon and Washington beat them, but that's besides the point). If that's happening in a 12 team conference, it might get really bad in a 16 team one. I also don't like that both this year and last, without divisions Michigan and Ohio State would meet for a second straight week in the championship, basically rendering the first game pointless. It's like how Alabama beat Georgia to win the SEC championship last year, but no one cares because they lost the game that really mattered a month later. I don't want that to happen to big rivalries as well... aside from Florida-FSU in 1996, of course. 😉

• Like 2

ExJworW.png

16 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

The Pac-12 went divisionless this season, and the ACC, American, and Mountain West will join them in that next year. I imagine the SEC and Big Ten will as well once Texas/Oklahoma and USC/UCLA join. Soon enough, the only conferences that still have them will be G5 leagues like the Sun Belt trying to keep travel costs down.

I'm not a huge fan of it, tbh. The Pac-12 showed us the flaws of a divisionless system this year by having a 3 way tie between Utah, Oregon, and Washington where Utah and Washington didn't play each other (which I have no idea how Utah was the winner considering they lost to Oregon and Washington beat them, but that's besides the point). If that's happening in a 12 team conference, it might get really bad in a 16 team one. I also don't like that both this year and last, without divisions Michigan and Ohio State would meet for a second straight week in the championship, basically rendering the first game pointless. It's like how Alabama beat Georgia to win the SEC championship last year, but no one cares because they lost the game that really mattered a month later. I don't want that to happen to big rivalries as well... aside from Florida-FSU in 1996, of course. 😉

BIG Ten will indeed go non-divisional when the LA schools join the BIG in 2024. Just in time for the 12 team playoff

2 minutes ago, Gary said:

BIG Ten will indeed go non-divisional when the LA schools join the BIG in 2024. Just in time for the 12 team playoff

I wonder if they'll avoid playing Michigan and Ohio State in the same year. I also wonder how many Big Ten teams will be crowding into the Rose Bowl for a regular season game since their team won't make the Rose bowl or the playoffs?

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I wonder if they'll avoid playing Michigan and Ohio State in the same year. I also wonder how many Big Ten teams will be crowding into the Rose Bowl for a regular season game since their team won't make the Rose bowl or the playoffs?

I still think Michigan and Ohio State will play every year. Still a ratings draw and their money maker every year. Even if one of the schools has a disappointing year. Always nice to see the rivalry.  But it would mean something if Michigan lost this week and they still have to play Ohio State the following week and it would feel like redemption only this time for the gold. Also amazing that there’s still a chance that Ohio State and Michigan could still play  in the National Championship Game as well. 

9 minutes ago, Gary said:

I still think Michigan and Ohio State will play every year. Still a ratings draw and their money maker every year. Even if one of the schools has a disappointing year. Always nice to see the rivalry.  But it would mean something if Michigan lost this week and they still have to play Ohio State the following week and it would feel like redemption only this time for the gold. Also amazing that there’s still a chance that Ohio State and Michigan could still play  in the National Championship Game as well. 

I meant USC/UCLA not playing both teams each year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

I meant USC/UCLA not playing both teams each year.

Ah I gotcha. I honestly think they’ll bring in either Stanford, Washington or Oregon to bring some balance into the West. That way there no travel lag on both sides of the Big Ten

I thought the ACC was going to switch from divisions to a pod model where each team has four ACC opponents they play every season, and rotate through the rest of the conference each season?

The podmates would generally be long time rivals. For example. North Carolina's pod would likely be NC State, Duke, Wake Forest & Virginia

Hotter Than July > Thriller

20 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I thought the ACC was going to switch from divisions to a pod model where each team has four ACC opponents they play every season, and rotate through the rest of the conference each season?

The podmates would generally be long time rivals. For example. North Carolina's pod would likely be NC State, Duke, Wake Forest & Virginia

This is indeed the last season of ACC divisions. These are the yearly matchups for reference.

Boston College: Miami, Pitt, Syracuse
Clemson: Florida State, Georgia Tech, NC State
Duke: North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest
Florida State: Clemson, Miami, Syracuse
Georgia Tech: Clemson, Louisville, Wake Forest
Louisville: Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia
Miami: Boston College, Florida State, Louisville
North Carolina: Duke, NC State, Virginia
NC State: Clemson, Duke, North Carolina
Pitt: Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia Tech
Syracuse: Boston College, Florida State, Pitt
Virginia: Louisville, North Carolina, Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech: Pitt, Virginia, Wake Forest
Wake Forest: Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Providing TCU doesn’t lose by 50, we have our playoff field set. 

UGA, Michigan, TCU, Ohio State. 

All that’s left to determine tomorrow is seeding and Heisman. 

If Michigan loses to Purdue (unlikely, but stranger things have happened) Ohio State is out. If both Michigan and TCU lose, I think Ohio State leapfrogs (no pun intended) TCU. Other than that, the field is more or less set.

BB52Big.jpg

13 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

If Michigan loses to Purdue (unlikely, but stranger things have happened) Ohio State is out. If both Michigan and TCU lose, I think Ohio State leapfrogs (no pun intended) TCU. Other than that, the field is more or less set.

I don’t see how Ohio State doesn’t get in. They’re at 5, Bama’s at 6 with an extra loss and neither team is playing this weekend. 

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

8 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

I don’t see how Ohio State doesn’t get in. They’re at 5, Bama’s at 6 with an extra loss and neither team is playing this weekend. 

Kannell and Mandell are crying about the possibility of Ohio State getting in and it makes me happy. It's one thing if USC lost by 3, but getting thumped like that after blowing a lead the last time they played will pretty much end their playoff hopes.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

38 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

You see, crap like that is why the Pac-12 can never have anything nice... like a playoff berth.

Thanks a lot, Utah. You done screwed the conference over again.

I feel like the other members of the conference are pretty happy USC choked.

Utah back to back Pac-12 Champs, Washington is 10-2, Oregon and OSU both 9-3 looking to get to 10 wins in their bowl games, WSU always frisky, Arizona trending up, and Colorado about to hire Deion. Pac-10 is going to be real fun, enjoy the B1G USC and UCLA.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Thanks a lot, Utah. You done screwed the conference over again.

Oh no!

Anyway...

• Like 5

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Kannell and Mandell are crying about the possibility of Ohio State getting in and it makes me happy. It's one thing if USC lost by 3, but getting thumped like that after blowing a lead the last time they played will pretty much end their playoff hopes.

Do I think Ohio State deserves a playoff spot? No. That said, USC had a 17-3 lead and Utah proceeded to out score them 44-7 from that point forward. I'm no CFB Playoff Committee expert, but my guess is that's not going to play well with them. At this point, they either take a 2 loss USC team that got destroyed in its championship game or an Ohio State team whose one loss came to the #2 team in the rankings. It's bull-:censored: either way, but Ohio State is the much easier sell. Not to mention, Ohio State is also a much bigger draw than USC and we all know that money drives the CFB Playoff train. The new playoff format (which they totally stole* from me, by the way) should solve some of this nonsense.

*Look it up. The new playoff format is practically a carbon copy of the one I came up with and had been pimping on these here boards for at least the last ten years. Maybe longer.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg