NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

I've always loved Philadelphia's modern uniforms -- UNTIL deciding to introduce black jerseys, pants and now a helmet. 

The midnight green does the job. The addition of grey, or I guess Nike would call it anthricate, was random but not invasive. Black was fine as logo filler, but wearing black jerseys/pants in prime time games, black pants now on the road and next season a black lid is way too mid-major collegiate of them. 

The deep, shiny green, wonderfully detailed modern wings, the sleeve logo, the original (funky, yes, but original) number font. They really should never wear anything but this, save the unbalanced script below the collar.

spacer.png

• Like 10

11 hours ago, flyersfan said:

to be fair, the eagles green is so dark it wont be ALL that different

I don't like the idea of a black helmet but if they wear it I'd prefer they do it with the white jersey and either green or black pants. 

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

You're missing the point.  The teams are making up fake reasons why they can't have the jerseys in 2022, when the real reason (regardless of any legitimate supply issues) is because the NFL said they couldn't because of the lead-time rule.

I"m not saying there's not legit issues - just that they're moot, because the league said on day one of the new helmet rule that they couldn't wear new jerseys in 2022 unless they were already planned two or more years ago.

This is what's the most annoying bit. "It's not my fault I didn't give you enough time, it's the supply chain". 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/29/2022 at 8:31 PM, MJD7 said:

They almost did exactly that, if this designer’s website is to be believed: https://scottfaries.net/Philadelphia-Eagles-Rebrand

ZLHcvhn.jpg

Personally I think it’s legit, the website has info on the Jags’ and Dolphins’ 2013 redesigns as well. If push came to shove I’d probably prefer this over their current uniforms, although the helmet is a major downgrade. 

I'd prefer the current set to this and I've not been a fan of double-green concepts for the Eagles.

As a general rule, I don't like it when teams try to split the difference between two different historical aesthetics. This was a complaint I had about the Brewers before their 2020 redesign. I much prefer when a team commits to a theme and rolls with it. For example look at the Chargers pre and post 2020. They made about as good an effort at combining the navy blue and powder blue era as they could but increasingly it looked to me like they couldn't quite nail it. The 2020 redesign completely changed that and (two alternates aside) the Chargers have been committed to powder blue and gold to G-L-O-R-I-O-U-S effect.

If the Eagles want to use Kelly green, great just make it the primary color. If they want to stick with midnight, that's good too, there's nothing really wrong with their current look and I'm sure lots of fans have a strong emotional connection.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'd prefer the current set to this and I've not been a fan of double-green concepts for the Eagles.

As a general rule, I don't like it when teams try to split the difference between two different historical aesthetics. This was a complaint I had about the Brewers before their 2020 redesign. I much prefer when a team commits to a theme and rolls with it. For example look at the Chargers pre and post 2020. They made about as good an effort at combining the navy blue and powder blue era as they could but increasingly it looked to me like they couldn't quite nail it. The 2020 redesign completely changed that and (two alternates aside) the Chargers have been committed to powder blue and gold to G-L-O-R-I-O-U-S effect.

If the Eagles want to use Kelly green, great just make it the primary color. If they want to stick with midnight, that's good too, there's nothing really wrong with their current look and I'm sure lots of fans have a strong emotional connection.

I agree that I’d prefer them to pick one, midnight green or kelly. If I had to choose though, I’d prefer kelly green over black as a secondary color to the midnight green, since kelly would help brighten the midnight up a bit, while black makes it feel more dreary. Plus, that design uses kelly pretty minimally, to the point where you almost don’t even notice it, save for the socks.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I agree that I’d prefer them to pick one, midnight green or kelly. If I had to choose though, I’d prefer kelly green over black as a secondary color to the midnight green, since kelly would help brighten the midnight up a bit, while black makes it feel more dreary. Plus, that design uses kelly pretty minimally, to the point where you almost don’t even notice it, save for the socks.

If we're being honest though what's keeping the midnight from feeling bright is that they don't use a true silver in the uniform (unlike the logo), they use more of a charcoal. Swap that for a true silver and the light switch gets flipped.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

If we're being honest though what's keeping the midnight from feeling bright is that they don't use a true silver in the uniform (unlike the logo), they use more of a charcoal. Swap that for a true silver and the light switch gets flipped.

Midnight & silver without any black would be the ideal, for me.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The Chargers also, in my mind, get extra credit for expanding their collection to include throwback-inspired looks without needing special helmets. I'd almost rather see retro-inspired uniforms rather than the actual throwbacks,  which weren't originally designed to account for modern uniform cuts or helmet designs. 

• Like 2

I should be clear, I don't think they need a black helmet, but the current iteration is this:

Philadelphia Eagles opponents 2021: Complete list, early look at team's  offseason needs - DraftKings Nation

Where PFF ranks every Eagles position heading into 2021: Defense - The  Liberty Line

The green only *really* shows in the spots reflecting the lights. Otherwise, it's almost unnoticeably dark. If the new helmets don't feature wings or they come with a satin or matte finish, it will be much more noticeable.

• Like 9

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

It would be interesting to see. For now I'm just talking minimal tweaks to the current aesthetic, which happens to already include true silver in the logo and the helmet.

Might be interesting to try and track the relative place of silver in the Eagles look since their inception. It's risen, fallen, and risen again.

• Like 1

Taking up the subject of alternate helmets, I have to issue a correction to an earlier post.

The Cardinals were not the last team to employ a non-throwback alternate helmet in 1957.

The Eagles wore both a white helmet with green wings and a green helmet with white wings in 1969.

So a 2 helmet aesthetic, while not seen in 50 years is not without precedent in the Super Bowl era.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Taking up the subject of alternate helmets, I have to issue a correction to an earlier post.

The Cardinals were not the last team to employ a non-throwback alternate helmet in 1957.

The Eagles wore both a white helmet with green wings and a green helmet with white wings in 1969.

So a 2 helmet aesthetic, while not seen in 50 years is not without precedent in the Super Bowl era.

New Orleans also had a black helmet in the 1969 preseason.

• Like 2

So, this could absolutely be nothing, but Russell Wilson released a video yesterday of his offseason preparation through his production company. Now just about any other player I wouldn't give this the time of day, but Russell's media team is infamous for being obsessive in everything they do, in fact note that while there seems to be a ton of bottles around him, all are from companies he's partnered with or sponsored by.

Which makes it at the very least curious what the production company chose to be on screen behind Russell mysteriously blurred out despite the control bar being pretty visible..

I'll let you all be the judge.

spacer.png

34 minutes ago, willforgetmylogin said:

So, this could absolutely be nothing, but Russell Wilson released a video yesterday of his offseason preparation through his production company. Now just about any other player I wouldn't give this the time of day, but Russell's media team is infamous for being obsessive in everything they do, in fact note that while there seems to be a ton of bottles around him, all are from companies he's partnered with or sponsored by.

Which makes it at the very least curious what the production company chose to be on screen behind Russell mysteriously blurred out despite the control bar being pretty visible..

I'll let you all be the judge.

spacer.png

Interesting

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

4 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I agree. I prefer it to Kelly green for the Eagles, on the condition that they use the correct midnight GREEN, not the blueish teal color it has evolved to since the Nike switch.

1 hour ago, willforgetmylogin said:

So, this could absolutely be nothing....

spacer.png

The original Russ-Broncos photoshop, which has been making the rounds for about a year.

There's nothing to this.

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

So we only have Washington and Philadelphia CONFIRMED for alternate helmets this year right?  Arizona is semi-rumoured (?) but who else do we know for sure?

I know Seattle, Philadelphia (throwbacks), and Tampa will all bring back era appropriate throwbacks come in 2023.

4 hours ago, flyersfan said:

I should be clear, I don't think they need a black helmet, but the current iteration is this:

Philadelphia Eagles opponents 2021: Complete list, early look at team's  offseason needs - DraftKings Nation

Where PFF ranks every Eagles position heading into 2021: Defense - The  Liberty Line

The green only *really* shows in the spots reflecting the lights. Otherwise, it's almost unnoticeably dark. If the new helmets don't feature wings or they come with a satin or matte finish, it will be much more noticeable.

I'm mad they stopped wearing white pants with these because mono-black is the cool thing to do.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

So we only have Washington and Philadelphia CONFIRMED for alternate helmets this year right?  Arizona is semi-rumoured (?) but who else do we know for sure?

I know Seattle, Philadelphia (throwbacks), and Tampa will all bring back era appropriate throwbacks come in 2023.

From that one leak buried from a bit ago, it was Philadelphia, Washington, Cincinnati, Houston, Chicago, Cleveland, arizona, jets, and Carolina