NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

On 7/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, fouhy12 said:

The finish on that helmet is gorgeous. 

This is probably an unpopular opinion at this point, but I really dislike this Texans helmet specifically because of the finish.  To me, the chrome-like shininess of it will stand out from the otherwise muted tones of the jersey fabric. It's going to look like they're wearing a disco ball on their head. 

I'd have much preferred they had gone with more of a matte finish, like the Memphis Express example posted earlier. 

FWIW, I'm also in the group that thinks all alt helmets should be throwbacks, but a recolor like this is still far preferable to the atrocity the Saints will wear. This one just doesn't happen to work for me. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The 49ers should have a Notre Dame style gold helmet. Kinda like a saxaphone or something. I mean what they have now is fine but I think leaning into the Gold Rush aspect would be cool.

nbc_everwonder_ndgoldhelmets_160916_v2.j

greatest-helmets-college-football-histor

No to the 9ers and this is the superior nd helmet...there is no reason the helmet needs to be a literal representation of the dome.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 5

IDK, the thing about the new-era finish on the ND helmets is that they are too synonymous with ND for any other school to try and replicate them. Over time we've had plenty of schools from the biggest programs to smallest, like Wofford, roll with plain gold helmets. 

The fact ND has a plain gold helmet that you can point to and say "that's Notre Dame" makes it iconic. The old helmet was just another plain gold shell. 

• Like 7

I got some weird second hand information out of a friend's contact at the Bengals. The alternate helmets are white and she says "they're sexy and they can rig them so they can wear them with a white throwback" and to that I only had more questions. The Bengals have never used a white helmet so how could they "rig" them to use as a throwback? Unless it's the helmet from this logo??????? A huge long shot there. Most likely they're white with black stripes and she misunderstood what someone meant about wearing them with a throwback. Take that with an elephant sized grain of salt. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 6/28/2022 at 10:15 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

That's a hard no. You don't want a wife that's so indulgent of your obsessions she's willing to let you make a complete jackass out of yourself in public. Someone needed to be the adult in the room, and it sure wasn't going to be this nimrod.

(Plus, it's not even the throwback helmet, which would be marginally more forgivable.)

What is stupid about this is what if years from now he no longer likes the NFL?  Or worse he is no longer a Dolphins fan?  As big of a sports fan I am I would never do this it is too over the top and looks goofy.  

15 minutes ago, beachperroAZ said:

I wish the Titans would quit being stubborn and let the Texans become the Oilers.  

This might be my least-favorite recurring idea on the board. The Houston Oilers are dead. The Houston Texans have their own identity. Deal with it. 

• Like 17
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Sport said:

I got some weird second hand information out of a friend's contact at the Bengals. The alternate helmets are white and she says "they're sexy and they can rig them so they can wear them with a white throwback" and to that I only had more questions. The Bengals have never used a white helmet so how could they "rig" them to use as a throwback? Unless it's the helmet from this logo??????? A huge long shot there. Most likely they're white with black stripes and she misunderstood what someone meant about wearing them with a throwback. Take that with an elephant sized grain of salt. 

You’d be surprised how many layfolk will call any alternate a “throwback.” Like they’re so far removed from our specific brain damage that they don’t even consider for a second what “throwing back” means, just heard it used to describe an alt one time and from then on think it’s synonymous with “different uniform.” Huge pet peeve.

Anyways, the tea leaves are telling me that it’s a white lid with black tiger stripes that will be worn exclusively with their white jersey, white pants, and white socks, and it will be unveiled at *checks watch* lets say 10am tomorrow morning.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Sport said:

This wouldn't be the first time someone with "insider" uniform information doesn't know what they are talking about. For example, the person logging the changes at ESPN said the Falcons helmets were "true to the '66 throwbacks" except "this time they have a modern twist, adding gold stripes to honor Georgia Tech." Oof. 

This sounds like a similar case. There's obviously no throwback for the Bengals involving a white helmet. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

This might be my least-favorite recurring idea on the board. The Houston Oilers are dead. The Houston Texans have their own identity. Deal with it. 

Maybe find a compromise? 

The name and colors are off limits. But what if the Texans wore white helmets, navy jerseys, and white pants, complete with the consistent striping the Oilers uniforms had? That was the part of the Oilers uniforms I really liked, from the helmet, to the jerseys, to the pants, to the socks. It was entirely consistent.

The striping and numerals aren’t off limits. It would be an Oilers-esqe  touch to the Texans brand, tying the past present and future together. 

• Hurl 2
  • Dislike 1
NYCdog.png

6 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I mean, it's also one of the blandest identities in the NFL, is the problem. If the Texans actually had a strong identity of their own, I doubt the demand for Oilers-related stuff would be as high as it is.

You can't expect to replace one of the most iconic looks in league history with a brand this utterly milquetoast and expect to supersede it just based on longevity.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

WHAT

EWtFIZzXYAAiwLx.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • LOL 1

6uXNWAo.png

I'm late to the party, but I think the new Texans helmet would pair much better with the Color Rush navy pants plus the red jersey rather than the white pants, especially with the navy facemask. Helmet looks pretty good though, it'll be interesting to see the on-field product.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

The only thing holding  back the Texans’ identity is the Texans’ play on the field. The logo is excellent, they have strong colors and the proprietary font works. The uniform could use a tweak, but they still look good.  

The red helmet, in my opinion, is a step forward. 

Going to an Oilers look would be a step backward. 

• Like 1