2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

2 minutes ago, aaa333bbb said:

Weird too that the NHL is marketing the Nov 2 PIT @ BUF game as a "reverse retro night" but Pittsburgh isn't scheduled to wear theirs. 

Yeah, since the Sabres' RR is white they could be wearing it against the opponent's RR in almost every case, but they probably won't.

Just now, Echo said:

Yeah, since the Sabres' RR is white they could be wearing it against the opponent's RR in almost every case, but they probably won't.

Actually, reading the Sabres press release just now, they say that Pittsburgh WILL be wearing their RR's on the 11/2 so maybe pitt just forgot it in their tweet? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

Interesting note, but I think the Leafs are the first team to use the faux-vintage Adidas collar on a non-Winter Classic jersey.

The Bruins current fauxback alt has that winter classic like collar. 

I actually like most of these. While some are not better than the previous versions, I think most look great. 

I really like the Ducks, Flames, Oilers, mostly the Panthers, LA, Minnesota, Nashville, the Rangers, I love Philly’s Cooperalls, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver, Vegas, and I absolutely love Toronto. The fauxback collar, skinny shoulder yoke, and a felt crest and numbers??? I want one of these, and I don’t really care that much for the Leafs. Just a brilliant reverse and retro design. They nailed it. 

Things that drive me nuts tho? 
The Habs and Blue Jackets not including red in the striping anywhere. And the Panthers with plain navy and white numbers. They don’t really contrast well with the jersey. 

The Islanders striping now looks like the safety vest stripes. And why would the ditch the lighthouse patches?? 

Detroit is also another very confusing decision. Carolina’s is also ridiculous. I guess we have a full set now for them. And no primary logo 🙄

Every other one is just kinda meh, but it works…

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Again the Ducks jersey is exactly what I expected, but all things considered I'm pretty happy with i-

oh

They went with white again and they're only wearing them at home twice, which is odd to me.

Also both times, they had a minor change for the worse. Last time with the dark socks with the white jerseys and now the orange pants instead of black. That doesn't fit the colour swap and is going to extend the bottom of the jersey going from orange into orange pants instead of stopping at the hem like with the old Mighty Ducks set. Watch them break out the dark socks again this time too.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

3 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Interesting note, but I think the Leafs are the first team to use the faux-vintage Adidas collar on a non-Winter Classic jersey.

The double hem stripes look so much better than what they're currently wearing.  I really hope they eventually go back to this look.  The shoulder yokes would be a nice touch too.  So basically this jersey with the current logo.  😀

• Like 2

zzPEfBm.png

2 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Bruins use it on their carryover 3rds from last year:
David Pastrnak Boston Bruins Fanatics Branded Alternate Premier Breakaway Player Jersey - Black

Edited by Beantown33
Missed the post above

The Wild have swung and missed again.

The current away jersey is already a nod to a classic, and so is the old green alternate with "Minnesota" on the front.  

If they were going to stick with the Stars theme, then I think they should have gone in the direction of the beauties from their Stanley Cup appearance.  Maybe next time.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Bill0813 said:

3 hours ago, bowld said:

Caps looks incredible (minus sponsor patch)-

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

yes-yas.gif

I love it. Everything about it. I want it to come back permanently...ALL of it. I don't think y'all understand just how much I love this...that era of Capitals branding is what even got me into all this logo/uniform stuff in the first place! I loved it then as a young middle-schooler, still love it to this day. My favorite NHL team back then, still to this day (as I've said MANY times) my single favorite identity/uniform set in sports history, bar none.

2 hours ago, bowld said:

Love the detail on the Star

spacer.png

Details like that (added to what we've seen from Vegas' and Seattle's brand identities) are exactly why the hockey design team at adidas is the absolute best team in the business. Y'all please fight to keep the NHL contract beyond 2024!!!

17 minutes ago, Bill0813 said:

I don't know if I wanna like this or hate this. I know if it came out today it'd be among the most garish things I've ever seen, so... 🤷🏿‍♂️

• Like 6

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

43 minutes ago, spearson said:

The Wild have swung and missed again.

The current away jersey is already a nod to a classic, and so is the old green alternate with "Minnesota" on the front.  

If they were going to stick with the Stars theme, then I think they should have gone in the direction of the beauties from their Stanley Cup appearance.  Maybe next time.

Actually, the jersey is a pretty good nod to the 1981 (Stanley Cup Finalist year) jersey.

https://content.sportslogos.net/logos/1/34/full/kk66gzpfphejvjsjfma1cf0e4.gif

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, loholt said:

I don't understand what the Blue Jackets are doing here. Black isn't even remotely a team color to reverse it to. There's a rumor that there was a white one with the cannon that the team shot down which sounds cool. 

Its a reverse of the original C-flag alternate.

Overall, this batch of RR is better than the first time around.  Nothing too terrible like Dallas' all white look.  However, that isn't to say there aren't a few disappointments.  

Islanders: Close enough I guess.  If they weren't going to go all in with the fisherman, then why not use the orange alternate from 2002 or take their original jersey and make it orange?

Wild:  Would have liked to seen a red version of their original green jersey.  They are not the Northstars, after all.

Hurricanes: Can a current road jersey be considered retro?  Whalers jersey in Hurricane colours would have made much more sense.

Senators:  I think the sash part should have been either white, or red outlined in white.  

Canucks:  So close to perfection and then it's ruined by the numbers on the chest, but none on the left sleeve?  Might have been that way in 1962, but doesn't mean they had to repeat the mistake.

Some general thoughts of mine from the release:

-The Avalanche look is great in a vacuum, but I can't help but feel a bit jaded from all of the over-enthusiastic Colorado imagery we've been getting across all of our teams over the past year. I would have loved to see this uniform, but with the original logos and the steel/slate blue color. The Avs have only used it as the base color for a jersey once, and I think it would have been just as popular a look as what they went with.

-Detroit is a pleasant surprise. I thought they would go for something more restrained like they did last time, so it's great to see a bit of a step outside their shell.

-The Panthers may have won this release. They fulfilled the theme very well, and they added enough of a SoFlo flair with the teal/blue color that I could easily see this being worn by Florida people who aren't necessarily hockey fans.

-I wish the Canadiens added some more red. The lack of the color dullens the look IMO.

-Flyers and Cooperalls. Even if they are only for pregame, I love it. Fully embracing the theme.

-I am very confused by Seattle's look. Surprised they didn't take on a specific team, and the result is trying too hard to be vintage with a modern brand. Vegas on the other hand, played their role nicely. The glow-in-the-dark elements are a nice Vegas touch without being too garish.

I like the release overall this year. I think most teams have a better hold of the Reverse Retro idea this team round. It's a shame this might be the last time we see this, given Adidas won't be making uniforms for the NHL much longer, this is one of the better league-wide special uniform initiatives we've seen over the past decade or so.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)