2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

26 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

Maybe TBL will use their RR uniform in that game.

But it's not even the logo used on the Lightning RR. The Panthers used the Lightning's Edge/late 00's logo for some reason. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

This just dawned on me regarding the Sabres RR uniform: The reason there is no shoulder yoke on the jersey is because it is NOT a “reverse” of the 96 white uniform, it is a “reverse” of the 96 black uniform. Therefore, I would expect an ALL-WHITE uniform (pants, gloves, etc) because the white is replacing black 

• Hurl 1

30 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

But it's not even the logo used on the Lightning RR. The Panthers used the Lightning's Edge/late 00's logo for some reason. 

Simple mistake I guess. Still it's gonna be RR vs RR.

BTW I'd like to see a concepts for Red Wings. I hope they didn't add black in "last minute" like Bruins switched from black (better) cuffs to white (worse) in previous RR.

4r2eer.png

21 hours ago, loholt said:

I don't understand what the Blue Jackets are doing here. Black isn't even remotely a team color to reverse it to. There's a rumor that there was a white one with the cannon that the team shot down which sounds cool. 

Two things:

1. rumblings are that they're going to be going with the cannon look full time with a matching white sweater in the next season or two so that might be why they didn't do that. 

2. The original third jersey used black* so that's how they got away with it here.

*and it looked dynamite

darryl-sydor-of-the-columbus-blue-jacket

I was hoping they would just flip around the navy and black parts, but nope, too easy. It's a let down. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 minutes ago, Sport said:

Two things:

1. rumblings are that they're going to be going with the cannon look full time with a matching white sweater in the next season or two so that might be why they didn't do that. 

2. The original third jersey used black* so that's how they got away with it here.

*and it looked dynamite

I was hoping they would just flip around the navy and black parts, but nope, too easy. It's a let down. 

I had no clue they had matching socks with this look. Kind of surprising they instead went with the disjointed look for so long when they made this the primary uniform. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Sport said:

Two things:

*and it looked dynamite

I genuinely want to believe this is happening in the next couple seasons, have you heard it from sources closer to the team or just from the community?

19 hours ago, spearson said:

The Wild have swung and missed again.

The current away jersey is already a nod to a classic, and so is the old green alternate with "Minnesota" on the front.  

spacer.png

That seems like a bit of a stretch. The shade of green isn't the same, the sleeve/hem striping is completely different from anything the North Stars wore, the green jersey uses a phantom yoke instead of a white one, and the Stars never wore lace-up collars.

I'm sure the decision to wear green was meant to be a nod to the North Stars history, but the Wild brand has always felt like its own thing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, buckeye said:

I genuinely want to believe this is happening in the next couple seasons, have you heard it from sources closer to the team or just from the community?

Haven't confirmed it with anyone with the team. Just keep seeing it repeated in online circles. They do really seem to like the cannon, though, don't they? Every time they wear it they make it an organizational point to change over everything that isn't nailed down into the cannon stuff. I'm talking social media avatars, coaches practice sweats, video graphics, etc. Not sure of another team that takes that much care to fully change over the entire brand every game they wear an alternate.

Neither sticking with the C flag logo or going cannon full-time would surprise me. But my ear to the ground it feels like a greater than 50% of the fans would welcome the change. 

11 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

I had no clue they had matching socks with this look. Kind of surprising they instead went with the disjointed look for so long when they made this the primary uniform. 

Yeah it was weird that the 2007 EDGE change was clearly based on the OG third jersey, but they made that weird decision on the socks that matched nothing else and then wore that for ten years. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, Sport said:

Two things:

*and it looked dynamite

If Columbus was well and truly stuck with respect to what to do based on their upcoming plans, it seems unfathomable that they wouldn't look to adapt some aspect of a Cleveland Barons jersey for RR 2.0. Complete missed opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Francis10 said:

If Columbus was well and truly stuck with respect to what to do based on their upcoming plans, it seems unfathomable that they wouldn't look to adapt some aspect of a Cleveland Barons jersey for RR 2.0. Complete missed opportunity.

A franchise they have no ties to from a city they don't play in? Maybe in 10 years when we've reached NBA levels of scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas then we can try that. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

So many of these are excellent.  I'm shocked by how many I actually love.  A few are total stinkers, but definitely the minority.

Regarding the Flyers, I really wish they didn't add the outline to the crest.  Growing up, that outline was a sure-fire sign of a replica jersey vs authentic (and pretty much nobody had an authentic back then because of the whopping $60 price tag and that only one retailer was allowed to sell them.)

I recall getting a replica jersey as a 10 year old, and my uni-obsession caused me to get a pair of scissors and try to trim off the black outline.  It didn't end well.  I still have that little jersey somewhere... 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Sport said:

A franchise they have no ties to from a city they don't play in? Maybe in 10 years when we've reached NBA levels of scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas then we can try that. 

I mean if you want to get technical, that's precisely what the Sharks did this round.

The Barons branding was very Ohio-forward and the Blue Jackets seek to market to the entire state. It's not a massive stretch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Francis10 said:

I mean if you want to get technical, that's precisely what the Sharks did this round.

There's the weird Seals to Barons then the merge with the North Stars.

Then the North Stars have the dispersal draft for San Jose......so there is a very weak and weird link there but it's there. 

• Like 1

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

22 hours ago, M4One said:

Canucks:  So close to perfection and then it's ruined by the numbers on the chest, but none on the left sleeve?  Might have been that way in 1962, but doesn't mean they had to repeat the mistake.

More incentive for me to get the blank version. That colour balance is so good. The leaked photos really didn't do it justice. The green looked borderline grey/teal.

19 hours ago, M4One said:

Canucks have confirmed that their heritage third is dead.  With the team wearing the RR for 9 games, I would not be surprised if they wear the black skate for 3 or 4 games.

Good. That jersey was a great idea in concept but had so many inexplicably bad design decisions ruining it.

I feel like the Canucks are going to have to add left sleeve numbers. Broadcasters might have a hard time with that, even if they have the numbers on the left chest. I actually do like that look, because it adds to the 60’s-ness to the design, but I would imagine they’ll have to add left numbers anyways. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The Hurricanes entire uniform program is so disjointed and disappointing. Since changing from their original uniforms:

- Unveiled a mismatched home/road look in 2013, complete with the alternate from their old set

- Changed the home look in 2017, still not matching either the roads or the alternates, which were left unchanged

- Replaced the old alternate with a new black alternate in 2018, which still didn't match either the homes or aways.

- Replaced the roads in 2019 with yet another design that doesn't match either the homes or alternates (with all 3 literally having different logos)

- Inexplicably wore the black design in the playoffs while wearing red predominantly during the regular season from 2019-2022

- Wore Whalers jerseys in 2019-2022, which don't match designs, colors, logos, or cities to anything else they wear

- Changed the black jersey to primary in 2022, which still doesn't match the road set.

- Unveiled a throwback alternate in 2022, still matching no other uniform in the set.

- Released the first matching uniform they've had in 10 years with the RR - except it matches their least popular uniform and will only be worn for 2 games

- Will release a Stadium Series uniform in 2022 that will almost certainly match nothing else they've ever worn.

If you're counting at home, that's 4 different red designs, 2 different white designs, 2 different black, 1 green, 1 grey, and one unannounced Stadium set. Eleven uniforms. With ONE pair of jerseys matching designs between all of that. The one they're wearing for 2 games.

Has any other team in any sport treated each uniform as its own thing - instead of a set - more than the Hurricanes? They've changed each uniform at totally different times to totally different designs with totally different logos in most cases.

They should just promote their throwback alternate to primary, bring back the matching white and the matching black alternate (and never wear those in the playoffs). Three jerseys with the same design that form a cohesive brand. How hard is that?

Side note: I don't really understand the point of making teams wear the same uniform at home for the entire playoffs if you're gonna let them pick alternates for it. If they're gonna have the rule, they should make teams wear their designated primary. Otherwise, just let them swap in and out. I'd rather have the primaries for a couple home games than none at all.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

I feel like the Canucks are going to have to add left sleeve numbers. Broadcasters might have a hard time with that, even if they have the numbers on the left chest. I actually do like that look, because it adds to the 60’s-ness to the design, but I would imagine they’ll have to add left numbers anyways. 

Nope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwuascenario said:

Has any other team in any sport treated each uniform as its own thing - instead of a set - more than the Hurricanes?

The Wild and Canadiens both use different designs for their home and road jerseys rather than color swaps.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)