2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

This is the worst rebrand I have ever seen any sports team do. This is the cream of the crop. There is nothing in this look that is any good, absolutely nothing. The uniform is terrible. They put zero thought into it. No Jazz history, no city history, no state history, there is literally nothing here.

• Like 16

bSLCtu2.png

4 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

I’ve seen speculation that a full purple rebrand will come in 23-24 and they’ll never wear the yellows again. Is that even possible logistically?

One can hope. 🤞

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tBBP said:

Yeah...about that: in the late '90s/early 2000s there really was a lot of purple in the NBA: the Lakers, Jazz, Suns, Kings, Hornets (albeit not primarily), and until the Michael Redd days, the Bucks. Six squads of purple.

I always found that interesting, especially considering how lacking the color was/is in the other three big major pro leagues: the NFL has two, MLB one (unless Arizona is still doing the expansion-era alts; I haven't been paying attention), and unless I'm missing one, the NHL now has exactly zero...

Interesting how even between the 80's and 90s their palette wasn't consistent and in the 80s their colors were better used by the Lakers. I think it's the touch of green that made it their own and is why I like their recent identity as much as or more than any in their past.

But I want to see a red rock palette swap to black purple light blue yellow

• Like 1

This rebrand is unequivocal trash. Utah has had too much within their lineage of  uniform history to end up with a set that is worse than an AAU uniform set. This is something you can make in less than 20 minutes just using the basic tools in NBA2K's Team Creator. Like, they literally had the designer go in, pick colors they had no relation with, picked the preset black & white jazz note, and said, "slap a generic text and numeral font on," and rolled with it. This is as unforgettable as it gets, all while being blatantly terrible.

The wordmarks on the road & alternate are too big, the numerals seem even bigger and causes a look of disproportionate matters to my eye. The only redeemable jersey is the home (white) jersey.  The numeral/jazz note combo is clever enough to not need a wordmark, but I digress. I'll save judgment for the city? uniform until we see it in totality with the shorts, but looks nice so far.

The primary court is nice, but that really sums up all of the good I could say about this set. What a massacre.200.gif

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

I’ve seen speculation that a full purple rebrand will come in 23-24 and they’ll never wear the yellows again. Is that even possible logistically?

I wonder how much of this is coming down to different interpretations of the reveal’s language.

Specifically, there’s the part that revealed next season’s city and classic uniforms, followed by the year ticker going from 2024 upwards, indicating purple would be worn in some form indefinitely.

I personally took that to mean the city and/or classic uniform would be purple every year, but others seem to be interpreting that to mean purple will be primary after 2024. Honestly, I’m not sure which one is right at this point, especially with some indications (even from the Salt Lake Tribune) that the Jazz truly are in damage control mode over this. 2024 looks like it’ll be an interesting, telling year. 

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 6/8/2022 at 6:18 PM, monkeypower said:

As someone who decided to try to follow the NBA and become a Jazz fan a couple years ago (maybe four or five at this point) but did not really follow the league nor the Jazz at all this season, if these are the jerseys, I think I honestly might be done as a Jazz fan.

I can't say I really missed following the NBA this season due to everything else going on in my life (and it already was a distant fourth of the Big4 and then a distant sixth if you include the CFL and Junior hockey) and this might be the sign that I should be done with the NBA, plus with the Jazz recent on-court failures and whatever is going on behind the scenes, I don't know if I want to get more invested again.

These jerseys stink.

^^^^^^^

What an absolute gongshow this whole rebrand was. And it's abundantly clear, as pointed out by many people, that the Jazz realized how badly they screwed it up.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

16 hours ago, tBBP said:

Yeah...about that: in the late '90s/early 2000s there really was a lot of purple in the NBA: the Lakers, Jazz, Suns, Kings, Hornets (albeit not primarily), and until the Michael Redd days, the Bucks. Six squads of purple.

You forgot about the Raptors. 

4 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I wonder how much of this is coming down to different interpretations of the reveal’s language.

Specifically, there’s the part that revealed next season’s city and classic uniforms, followed by the year ticker going from 2024 upwards, indicating purple would be worn in some form indefinitely.

I personally took that to mean the city and/or classic uniform would be purple every year, but others seem to be interpreting that to mean purple will be primary after 2024. Honestly, I’m not sure which one is right at this point, especially with some indications (even from the Salt Lake Tribune) that the Jazz truly are in damage control mode over this. 2024 looks like it’ll be an interesting, telling year. 

My guess is the black & yellow will be around in some form for the next few years as it slowly gets phased out. The remixed purple jerseys will be alternates in 23-24, and maybe move to primary status the year after that, with one or two of the black/white/yellow being demoted to alternates. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Yes I did...I knew I was forgetting one. That'd make seven squads of purple back then.

(And yes I still believe Toronto should reinstate some purple into their current scheme, but I doubt they ever will except as throwback alternates.)

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

22 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

My guess is the black & yellow will be around in some form for the next few years as it slowly gets phased out. The remixed purple jerseys will be alternates in 23-24, and maybe move to primary status the year after that, with one or two of the black/white/yellow being demoted to alternates. 

I bet they just work the purple into the mix. Purple is light / lavender enough that it differentiates from black.  Big question is:

Black/purple/yellow

Purple/light blue/yellow

Or all 4?

13 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

One can hope. 🤞

I was listening to a Twitter Space after the reveal, and there was  a guy speaking that had been privy to the whole process. He said that per league rules, teams can rebrand only after using their new set for 5 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, synged said:

I was listening to a Twitter Space after the reveal, and there was  a guy speaking that had been privy to the whole process. He said that per league rules, teams can rebrand only after using their new set for 5 years.

At first I doubted this but it actually lines up. The Hawks' and Cavs' latest changes came exactly five years after the ones before them, and nothing was sooner than five years. Apparently the NBA has a five-year rule like the NFL. Who knew.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, synged said:

On the other hands (depends how rules looking at that cases) Nuggets changed uniforms in 17/18 and then in 18/19, Rockets 17/18 and 19/20 and Raptors 17/18 and 20/21. None of them had 5 year gap between.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

1 hour ago, pepis21 said:

On the other hands (depends how rules looking at that cases) Nuggets changed uniforms in 17/18 and then in 18/19, Rockets 17/18 and 19/20 and Raptors 17/18 and 20/21. None of them had 5 year gap between.

All of the 17/18 can be seen as template changes, as the actual design didn’t change, Nike just had to adjust some things. (Except for Denver. The swapped the emphasis on navy and powder.)

• Like 1