2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

On 4/27/2023 at 9:36 PM, Old School Fool said:

The 2003 uniforms had a shiny fabric and it's what made the silver work. Nike can still do it too as evidenced by the Celtics and Lakers 1940's throwbacks from the last few years but they won't do it with regular uniforms for some stupid reason. The shiny fabric was great for teams like the Rockets and Nuggets.

houston-rockets-forward-ron-artest-c-los

Both great sets that got murdered by the material switch. I don't know why the Rockets not only stood pat afterward but even kept the general template through another material change. This crap is the turd in the punch bowl of that 65 win season.

Not gonna quote the other post, but that mid-10s Denver set (both iterations) reminds me of that ghost-piping mid-00s Orlando set, I guess you could call it the Steve Francis era. So unremarkable and easy to forget about until someone posts a pic and reminds you it existed.

On 4/29/2023 at 10:23 PM, Germanshepherd said:

Boston in black vs Philly in red for Game 1 and 3

Boston in green vs Philly in white for Game 2

Philly in blue vs Boston in white for Game 4

*throws boiling hot water in Nike's face*

• Like 6

2 hours ago, who do you think said:

Both great sets that got murdered by the material switch. I don't know why the Rockets not only stood pat afterward but even kept the general template through another material change. This crap is the turd in the punch bowl of that 65 win season.

Not gonna quote the other post, but that mid-10s Denver set (both iterations) reminds me of that ghost-piping mid-00s Orlando set, I guess you could call it the Steve Francis era. So unremarkable and easy to forget about until someone posts a pic and reminds you it existed.

*throws boiling hot water in Nike's face*

There needs to be a limit on how many times a team can wear its alternate uniforms in the playoffs. Icon and Association are the “regular” ones, right? No more than once per series or three times overall, whichever is less, for each of the other two. I actually looked at the set matchups at the start of the first round, and over half the games (at least in games 1-4) were a team in white against a team in black. We need more color!

• Like 7

I loved the Melo era baby blue Nuggets' color scheme, but the one they have now also has some interesting colors to work with. It's that if only they distributed them differently, making a bigger emphasis on the lighter shade of blue and the maroon, like they had done on one of the Earned uniforms with the axe logo on the chest which was white, and their current blue Statement. I also liked the maroon alternate.

The court is rather boring indeed.

• Like 2

I never liked the Melo era Nuggets the way others did. I appreciate the attempt at something different but there were too many flaws at once -- color scheme leaning too light without enough navy for balance, an overwhelming number of outlines, Aachen Bold as font. All that together made the whole thing feel very washed out and mushy, despite the light colors in dazzle fabric. They made steps toward the end of that era toward rectifying some of those issues, only to eventually start over anyway.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

There needs to be a limit on how many times a team can wear its alternate uniforms in the playoffs. Icon and Association are the “regular” ones, right? No more than once per series or three times overall, whichever is less, for each of the other two. I actually looked at the set matchups at the start of the first round, and over half the games (at least in games 1-4) were a team in white against a team in black. We need more color!

its hard because theres teams like the grizzlies, wizards, pelicans, magic, heat, jazz etc. who have statement jerseys that blend in just fine with the main two jerseys. like i would actually prefer if the grizzlies wore more light blue than navy. and i definitely would prefer the jazz to wear more black than they do neon yellow (why are their jersey categories flipped to begin with?? whos idea was it to categorize the neon yellow jersey as an icon jersey?) anyways, you then have teams like the suns, knicks, bucks, kings, pistons, etc. who have statement jerseys that stick out like a sore thumb. like i dont even wanna see the knicks wear their navy jerseys given that their brand is barely centered around navy at all and that their home floor doesnt match whatsoever. same for the suns. 

but then.... this brings up teams who happen to have city jerseys that almost look like rotational jerseys. like the nuggets this year

NBA: Denver llegó a 4 triunfos al hilo de la mano de Nikola Jokic 

9 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I agree. City and Classic Editions shouldn't be used. Stick to the Association, Icon and Statement Editions. Road teams should never wear their Association jerseys on the road. If a team wears color at home ... color vs. color should be the rule. 

• Like 7

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Mello-era colors with the alt wordmark from the navy jersey could have been their forever jersey.  

The current ones are nice enough, but not "strong" for lack of a better term.  I'd find it hard to be inspired while wearing navy and dark red.  It looks fine on merch, but I think the bright light blue and yellow makes for a better sports uniform.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

34 minutes ago, tscuzzy said:

Warriors in black at home, lakers in yellow on the road, warriors fans in yellow t shirts. I’m gonna have an aneurysm 

Like watching any Winnipeg Jets home playoff game. 

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Mello-era colors with the alt wordmark from the navy jersey could have been their forever jersey.  

The current ones are nice enough, but not "strong" for lack of a better term.  I'd find it hard to be inspired while wearing navy and dark red.  It looks fine on merch, but I think the bright light blue and yellow makes for a better sports uniform.

I think the current nuggets identity is pretty terrible, especially when the Melo set was universally loved. The NBA feels like the only sport teams consistently change their primary colors.  NFL you will see shade changed ie the Chargers but never like the NBA where teams like the Jazz, Nuggets, Hawks, and Cavs have changed their overall identity multiple times. It also seems like outside of the Knicks almost all playoff teams are going color at home.  First NHL now the NBA? Plus in baseball half the time teams are wearing their colored softball tops at home.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

I think the current nuggets identity is pretty terrible, especially when the Melo set was universally loved. The NBA feels like the only sport teams consistently change their primary colors.  NFL you will see shade changed ie the Chargers but never like the NBA where teams like the Jazz, Nuggets, Hawks, and Cavs have changed their overall identity multiple times. It also seems like outside of the Knicks almost all playoff teams are going color at home.  First NHL now the NBA? Plus in baseball half the time teams are wearing their colored softball tops at home.

You're absolutely right. And there's that additional oddity of a team like the Pistons, which will spend five years masquerading as a teal expansion team before coming to their senses and remembering who they actually are. 

The thing I find odd about the Nuggets current uniforms is that I can't really get a sense of what their actual colors are. Are they a primarily navy+yellow team? Navy + white with touches of yellow and maroon? Navy with imbalanced amounts of dark red/yellow/white? And then for good measure, they thrown in a royal blue alt that doesn't fit in at all. 

It's one thing for a team to be schizophrenic with its color schemes across decades. The Nuggets seem to be doing it across every uniform all at once. 

Personally, I was always fond of the Dan Issel-era wordmark, even though I found the uniforms of the pre-rainbow guts era a little lifeless, much like they are today. That's why I really liked their mixtape uniforms from last year (minus the rainbow stripes on the shorts.) Much like with the Timberwolves, I felt that Nike and the team put together something with character that could be the foundation of a permanent new look. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

You're absolutely right. And there's that additional oddity of a team like the Pistons, which will spend five years masquerading as a teal expansion team before coming to their senses and remembering who they actually are. 

The thing I find odd about the Nuggets current uniforms is that I can't really get a sense of what their actual colors are. Are they a primarily navy+yellow team? Navy + white with touches of yellow and maroon? Navy with imbalanced amounts of dark red/yellow/white? And then for good measure, they thrown in a royal blue alt that doesn't fit in at all. 

It's one thing for a team to be schizophrenic with its color schemes across decades. The Nuggets seem to be doing it across every uniform all at once. 

Personally, I was always fond of the Dan Issel-era wordmark, even though I found the uniforms of the pre-rainbow guts era a little lifeless, much like they are today. That's why I really liked their mixtape uniforms from last year (minus the rainbow stripes on the shorts.) Much like with the Timberwolves, I felt that Nike and the team put together something with character that could be the foundation of a permanent new look. 

spacer.png

I would love a new set built around that. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cujo said:

Alts should be forbidden from series clinching games and the entire Finals.

EXHIBIT A:

Kevin Love needed to step up in Game 7, and he did

Someday, we’ll look back at v-neck t-shirts on the basketball court the same way we do the Chicago White Sox when they busted out shorts and long socks on the baseball diamond.  

• Like 1

As long as we're all sharing our Nuggets wishlists:

I loved their statement uniform from a couple years ago, before it was changed to a Harlem Globe Trotters jersey.

AP20244113984231.jpg?w=525

I'd simplify the color scheme a bit and remove the circular lettering setup then build a set around it.  Add some topographic lines into the navy part on the shorts if it feels boring, or make them more mountain-like. Done.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, eRay said:

As long as we're all sharing our Nuggets wishlists:

I loved their statement uniform from a couple years ago, before it was changed to a Harlem Globe Trotters jersey.

AP20244113984231.jpg?w=525

I'd simplify the color scheme a bit and remove the circular lettering setup then build a set around it.  Add some topographic lines into the navy part on the shorts if it feels boring, or make them more mountain-like. Done.

I need to see these side by side ... I didn't even realize they changed them. Huh.

4492bb0803cc4aeaaf97bdab95fd8f5c.jpg?w=1timberwolves-nuggets-basketball.jpeg

And, yeah, the older versions are better. The red on the shorts is too gaudy and the red outline on the gold print is too much. 

Dumb change.

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin