2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kimball

5 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’d have much rather had that mashup for one season than redrock dark mode for another. I actually think the mashup is really good for what it is, and looks more “Jazz” to me than redrock ever has.

Meh. The mashup is underwhelming. However the Utah Basketball logo in Jazz colors is 🔥 

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 4/26/2022 at 8:36 PM, Chawls said:

I don’t see why Utah can’t just use their Red Rocks color scheme. 

My bet on the redesign and new colors was to tie the red rock colors better into the overall branding theme. Yellow and black are bees colors which is the state nickname and the colors are also a hot color on the slopes which ties northern and southern Utah together better. What does it say about JAZZ? Not much.

And there lays the dilemma trying to mesh Jazz and Utah together in branding. All the more reason they should have just gone with the Utah Saints when they moved here in ‘79.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 4/24/2022 at 11:22 PM, NicDB said:

Not to mention their last color pallette was a perfect blend of their past and present. They still looked like the same team Stockton and Malone played for. 

These say neither "Utah" nor "Jazz" to me. 

Really agree on this. Navy was close enough to purple IMO.  They looked "right" for the first time in years.   This is the double blue all over again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kimball said:

My bet on the redesign and new colors was to tie the red rock colors better into the overall branding theme. Yellow and black are bees colors which is the state nickname and the colors are also a hot color on the slopes which ties northern and southern Utah together better. What does it say about JAZZ? Not much.

And there lays the dilemma trying to mesh Jazz and Utah together in branding. All the more reason they should have just gone with the Utah Saints when they moved here in ‘79.

That would have made sense.

I've become more on board with teams having unrelated alt/clash sets.  Nets RWB vs BW.  Jazz Mardi Gras vs red rock.  Cavs wine/gold vs orange.  Heat black/red vs vice.  Some wholesale alt identities/brands work.  Still don't see a place for this apart from tie in to redrock.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 12:26 PM, gosioux76 said:

The Jazz aren't moving anywhere. I think someone mentioned it earlier, but this is akin to the Pistons switching to teal. It's completely unnecessary and is incongruous to its entire visual history. 

I like the phrase "apropos of nothing"

If Utah wanted to tie in to the red rock, why not base the identity off of it.

All they’d have to do is make a white jersey. They have the black for the road and the original red rock for the alt. They have logos and a court. Would have been so simple.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

All they’d have to do is make a white jersey. They have the black for the road and the original red rock for the alt. They have logos and a court. Would have been so simple.

I would have loved this

• Like 3

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

14 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

All they'd have to do is change the black to white and then the white lettering to black.

Utah Jazz unveil new city edition 'dark mode' uniforms | KUTV

• Like 5

16 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Logically that makes sense, but the fact that SLC is 200-250 miles from anything remotely red rock is the problem. If they did the current logos, jerseys and courts in black, yellow and white with the current alts. I'd be fine with that. The leaked jerseys are just too plain.

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

7 hours ago, McCall said:

All they'd have to do is change the black to white and then the white lettering to black.

Utah Jazz unveil new city edition 'dark mode' uniforms | KUTV

What about adding purple? Black gradient yo red almost suggests it already.  Probably a stretch to tie this into traditional palette, but...

28 minutes ago, chakfu said:

What about adding purple? Black gradient yo red almost suggests it already.  Probably a stretch to tie this into traditional palette, but...

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

• Applause 1

9 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Honestly, as a Utah Jazz fan, I have no idea why the team even feels the need to go through yet another rebranding process. The colors were perfect as is when the current uniforms were unveiled in 2016. That said, I do know how oxymoronic it is to have a pro sports team called the "Utah Jazz", since we all know there's no history of jazz music in Utah, and the team name dates back to when the team was founded in New Orleans in 1974. That also said, I wish the team's owner would be more willing and open to giving the team name back to New Orleans, and coming up with a new team name, logos, uniforms and overall brand process that most represents Utah.

• Dislike 1
  • Hate 1

14 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Between the owners comments on Twitter about Purple and the music note changing back, I'm starting to wonder if maybe they're pulling the plug on the rebrand.  I hope so because I didn't like what I was seeing and neither did anybody else.

Here's what the outside of the arena looked liked during the season.

DSC0323-scaled.jpg

• Like 3

bSLCtu2.png

19 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Capitulation?

FRw7tBkVgAAeBfZ?format=jpg&name=large

Jazz is a big mess right now. Gobert & Mitchell don't want to play with each other, rest of a team are burned out with some players get massive slump (Hi, Mike Conley) and ownership can't decide which brand they want to be (although throwing black-yellow into dumpster would be a good move). That team needs a very deep rebuilt.

9 hours ago, CATLogo1 said:

I wish the team's owner would be more willing and open to giving the team name back to New Orleans, and coming up with a new team name, logos, uniforms and overall brand process that most represents Utah.

No chance, it's too late for that and NOLA feels good with Pelicans.

4r2eer.png

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Between the owners comments on Twitter about Purple and the music note changing back, I'm starting to wonder if maybe they're pulling the plug on the rebrand.  I hope so because I didn't like what I was seeing and neither did anybody else.

Here's what the outside of the arena looked liked during the season.

DSC0323-scaled.jpg

Would that even be allowed? Isn't all design/gear already locked in for next season by this point? IIRC, there is a 2 year lead on new jerseys, although I suppose if a team wanted to scrap something and stay as is, that might be allowed?

18 minutes ago, projectjohn said:

Would that even be allowed? Isn't all design/gear already locked in for next season by this point? IIRC, there is a 2 year lead on new jerseys, although I suppose if a team wanted to scrap something and stay as is, that might be allowed?

I would assume, at this point, that they'd just stand pat with what they're already wearing. If they're this late in the game reacting to fan sentiment, it would be the only practical approach. The music note statue color switcheroo would seem like one tiny clue toward that conclusion. 

• Like 1