2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kimball

The highlighter decision just scream Hawks of the prior rebrand, a look equally destined for a short shelf life. I can't believe they didn't learn from the baby blue and navy era trainwreck. If you misjudge your brand that drastically you might as well move on from Jazz entirely.

• Like 1

People remember the Cavs rebrand a while back right? To me this new jazz set is this but a completely new color scheme for the franchise. There have been a lot of jerseys that are simple/clean. Some people hate it, some love it. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SCL said:

The highlighter decision just scream Hawks of the prior rebrand, as know as a look destined for a short shelf life. I can't believe they didn't learn from the baby blue and navy era trainwreck. If you misjudge your brand that drastically you might as well move on from Jazz entirely.

Not to mention their last color pallette was a perfect blend of their past and present. They still looked like the same team Stockton and Malone played for. 

These say neither "Utah" nor "Jazz" to me. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, NicDB said:

Not to mention their last color pallette was a perfect blend of their past and present. They still looked like the same team Stockton and Malone played for. 

These say neither "Utah" nor "Jazz" to me. 

Maybe it's the color and not the font, or maybe it's the lack of any trim elements:

jazz.png

12 hours ago, DJT said:

People remember the Cavs rebrand a while back right? To me this new jazz set is this but a completely new color scheme for the franchise. There have been a lot of jerseys that are simple/clean. Some people hate it, some love it. 

spacer.png

I don't think the issue with those Jazz leaks is the simplicity of the design. Unfussy design should be the standard. I'm a big fan of what the Hawks did with their 50s- and 60s-inspired look two years ago. I like the simplicity of the Nets uniforms, though they're already growing a little tired. Some do it better than others, clearly (I find both the Wolves and Raptors to be uninteresting), but I'm all for simple as a default.

What these Cavs uniforms have (as does @sayahh's mockup above) is simplicity but with identity-re-enforcing character. A super clean and simple design can be a knockout if it also helps to reenforce the identifiable traits of your historic brand, much like the wine, gold and navy colors do for this Cavs example. 

The fact that the Jazz might take this simple approach while emphasizing two colors that, at best, are tertiary elements of their historic looks, is what makes the entire strategy a bad decision. 

• Like 9

19 hours ago, DJT said:

spacer.png

I loved this Cleveland set. Even the Navy jersey. What they wear now is somewhere between meh and garbage and the forcing of black into because of a championship won in tshirts that should have never existed makes it worse.

The stripes on the shoulder and shorts trim alone give it more life than those Jazz practice jerseys. Also I think wine and gold lends itself to stand out on it's own more than generic black or retina burning yellow does.

When it comes to the Jazz I'll always been one for the Purple/Sky mountain set but I thought the current scheme worked too, even if I preferred purple to navy. But they ruined those when they decided to cut the side panels in half diagonally for some reason.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, VikWings said:

the forcing of black into because of a championship won in tshirts that should have never existed makes it worse.

It peeves me for the same reason that the Bucks won their chip in those terrible black jerseys when they had so many other timeless options. 

Granted, compared to Cleveland we got off pretty easy.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

^ yep, i gave that a RT. it's true, but I'm not too enamored with what's replacing it. kind of a lateral move, maybe a slight upgrade.

Hopefully it's not the "dark gray" one from your teaser post. But I don't see how it could be worse. Baby steps, I suppose. We'll get that red jersey back someday.

19 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

^ yep, i gave that a RT. it's true, but I'm not too enamored with what's replacing it. kind of a lateral move, maybe a slight upgrade.

it can’t be that bad, can it? it could only be another blue or white,  or a new red jersey.

16 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

it can’t be that bad, can it? it could only be another blue or white,  or a new red jersey.

Unfortunately Conrad has said it’s not a red jersey. From the teaser list he posted, that leaves dark gray, royal, or navy as possibilities IMO. Hopefully it’s not dark gray (ditching one gray for another doesn’t sound likely). I’m not sure which route they’d go with a 2nd royal jersey, I wouldn’t want them to have some wildly differing design aesthetic from their traditional side panels look.

Navy has been used by the team previously, although it was officially removed from their color scheme in 2017 with the new primary logo.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:25 PM, DJT said:

And yet...

spacer.png

On 4/23/2022 at 7:47 PM, DustDevil61 said:

zgEMyEWz2QRKg8ZSz4pITeanKIY=.gif

22 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

So is Utah stuck with these for 2 years? Can they at least tweak them next season?

Is there any clarification on this @Conrad., or is this just some kind of damage control?