2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kimball

On 4/25/2022 at 6:04 PM, VikWings said:

I loved this Cleveland set. Even the Navy jersey. What they wear now is somewhere between meh and garbage and the forcing of black into because of a championship won in tshirts that should have never existed makes it worse.

The stripes on the shoulder and shorts trim alone give it more life than those Jazz practice jerseys. Also I think wine and gold lends itself to stand out on it's own more than generic black or retina burning yellow does.

When it comes to the Jazz I'll always been one for the Purple/Sky mountain set but I thought the current scheme worked too, even if I preferred purple to navy. But they ruined those when they decided to cut the side panels in half diagonally for some reason.

I agree with most of your Cavs take. That set (minus the blues, which confused the rest of it) is in my all-time NBA top-5.  The Jazz update is in my all-time bottom 5 (maybe all-time bottom 1). And I don't think that is inconsistent at all.

The Cavs simplified their color scheme but held onto their identity. The arched wordmarks are nice and the trim is pleasingly basic. I think of those uniforms as a newer uniform with a classic look (like, say, the Astros current uniforms). I understand why a lot of people didn't love those Cavs uniforms like I did, but their existence was not totally without sense.  The Jazz are almost simple just because it's a trend, but with little thought to the team's history. To me, these are not like the Cavs/Astros, but more like the Jaguars jerseys...just overly simplified for no apparent reason. Add to that the huge four-letter wordmark without so much as the arch that the Cavs used, the giant number, and the lack of trim and you get something that most of us could have made with a Wal-Mart tank top and some electrical tape. There's nothing interesting or appealing here.

Even the Nets, who use a more basic color scheme look better. Maybe it's the simple white trim or the more properly sized wordmark or numbers. I'm not a fan of the look, but I think moving to Brooklyn and doing this is somewhat understandable. Plus it's not ugly (just not pretty). Nothing makes sense about what Utah is doing.

Utah's primaries will be the only ones in the league in my memory that really look more like practice jerseys than game jerseys. I don't think that of the old Cleveland look or the current Nets look.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

Even the Nets, who use a more basic color scheme look better. Maybe it's the simple white trim or the more properly sized wordmark or numbers. I'm not a fan of the look, but I think moving to Brooklyn and doing this is somewhat understandable. Plus it's not ugly (just not pretty). Nothing makes sense about what Utah is doing.

I agree with all of this, so well said. The Nets, for all intents and purposes, was a wholesale rebrand predicated by a relocation. In my mind, that's fair game for making a whole new identity switch that eschews franchise history. And if anything, they've done a better job than most teams when it comes to embracing historic looks from both the Dr. J era and what I'll call the Drazen Petrovic era. 

The Jazz aren't moving anywhere. I think someone mentioned it earlier, but this is akin to the Pistons switching to teal. It's completely unnecessary and is incongruous to its entire visual history. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

And if anything, they've done a better job than most teams when it comes to embracing historic looks from both the Dr. J era and what I'll call the Drazen Petrovic era. 

On the whole I agree with your post, but on this point, we have to note that they tried like hell to forget about those eras for the first few years of the Brooklyn black/white (we hardly knew ye, recolored retired-number banners). Those throwback embraces only came once they realized they couldn't toss New Jersey and Nassau down the memory hole entirely.

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 minute ago, Digby said:

On the whole I agree with your post, but on this point, we have to note that they tried like hell to forget about those eras for the first few years of the Brooklyn black/white (we hardly knew ye, recolored retired-number banners). Those throwback embraces only came once they realized they couldn't toss New Jersey and Nassau down the memory hole entirely.

I didn't realize that. Is this because they intentionally wanted to distance themselves from it? I ask because it's not unheard of for a rebranded organization to want 100% of all focus on the new brand rather than muddying things up re-inserting the looks they've left behind, at least within the first few years under a new brand.

I'm not suggesting that's the right approach, but it wouldn't be surprise me if a lesson like that isn't imprinted in some Marketing 101 textbook out there in the universe. 

Maybe, I don't think we're all privy to it, but it was a lot of little things... not just skipping throwbacks for the first several years, but recoloring the historic banners to black, pretending the team establishment date was 2012 ...

It was a strange relocation/rebrand, not a wholesale change like Seattle/OKC but also not a simple rebrand a la the Jazz. So you could debate what the right move was. Regardless of that, though, clearly they changed pretty drastically with the jerseys and these recent years of cosplaying Barclays Center court as the Meadowlands and everything.

My personal read on that was the Brooklyn rebrand was really for its first couple years but ran out of steam pretty quickly, especially with no retro looks to re-embrace in a nostalgia-obsessed culture... couple that with the, shall we say, limp reception of actual fans in Brooklyn and suddenly embracing the New Jersey history and its on-trend early-90s gaudiness didn't seem like such a bad idea anymore.

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

49 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Not sure if legit or not?? @Conrad.??

They've carried that wordmark over 3 different identities and I'm baffled why it's not more prominent. It's the best word mark they've ever designed and it's ability to be seamlessly recolored proves it (imo)

• Like 3

On 4/28/2022 at 4:40 PM, insert name said:

Holy identity crisis Batman. What the hell do the Jazz want to be? 

75th anniversary mash up, IIRC these were more league projects than team and probably why the Jazz chose to go with Dark Mode again for their City editions

• Like 1