2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kimball

22 hours ago, Digby said:

The Heat are, at worst, a top-five franchise in the entire NBA this century, since they've had this brand. How on earth is that "mid"?

Gotta respect the Heat, even if I don't like them (beating  the Pistons in '06 and then I was not at all a fan of the whole superteam thing). They've always been a very well run organization, with a great brand and look. As has been mentioned, Vice is fine in a vacuum and it could probably even work if they were starting as a new expansion team, but throwing out the brand equity they've built up is unthinkable. I certainly can't see that happening as long as Pat Riley is still around.

Tangentially related - maybe I'm somehow making this up, but I'd swear I remember reading somewhere LeBron James wanted the Heat to switch to crew neck jerseys as a condition to sign there in free agency in 2010 and Pat Riley pretty much told him to pound sand. Seems like it could be true, considering the Lakers conveniently did just that when he signed there (there's just the whole 2-year notice on jersey change thing.)

• Like 1

my opinion on the heat going full time vice: 

i don't think they *need* to rebrand , but i definitely wouldn't mind if they did. i know some people say that it could get old quick but i genuinely do think it's a timeless look. it matches the city well and isn't too "gimmicky" like how the purple raptors and teal pistons looked. (not saying they were bad looks but they definitely weren't meant to last.)

they made a nice simple court design. the jerseys design wise were simple and fit right with the modern nba. and that script wordmark just looks like it was built to last. 

• Like 4

IMG-7122.gif

9 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Sure it’s a trend, in so much as teams embracing novelty uniforms is a trend. The trend doesn’t need to be the look; it can be the act of creating them at all.

Weren't they (and every team, even the Spurs) pretty much forced to create a statement/city/earned sort of jersey?  Sure, it didn't have to be Miami Vice, but like the MLB wearing city connect unis or wearing Fathers' Dad-stylized caps, isn't that less of a trend as it was required, albeit gimmicky in a good or bad way?

Didn't check the timeline, but maybe it's less of a chasing trend and just a straight up cashgrab.  I mean like a Pickachu Lakers uni would be a cashgrab IMO.

12 hours ago, sayahh said:

Weren't they (and every team, even the Spurs) pretty much forced to create a statement/city/earned sort of jersey?  Sure, it didn't have to be Miami Vice, but like the MLB wearing city connect unis or wearing Fathers' Dad-stylized caps, isn't that less of a trend as it was required, albeit gimmicky in a good or bad way?

Didn't check the timeline, but maybe it's less of a chasing trend and just a straight up cashgrab.  I mean like a Pickachu Lakers uni would be a cashgrab IMO.

I get what you’re saying, but the Jazz and Suns opting out of the 75th anniversary city themes and sticking with past city designs has led me to believe teams are in a bit more control than we’d think. Sure, they’re probably forced to fill all four uniform slots in general, but I don’t think there’s anything stopping a team like say, the Pelicans for example, from simply wearing red and gold versions of thier home jersey and calling them the “statement” and “city” respectively. At least, I would think nothing’s stopping them; nobody’s seemed to want to try that yet, probably because every team branching off with wackier alternates has created the want for teams to keep up with each other. 

Teams have the final say in what they wear, and what they choose to do with the uniform slots they have to fill is what can ultimately chase trends, not the action of having alternates at all. I really don’t think teams have to go as off-the-rails as they choose to. There’s plenty of ways to keep an alternate on-brand and close to the core of the team’s identity if a team wants to do so.

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

4 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I get what you’re saying, but the Jazz and Suns opting out of the 75th anniversary city themes and sticking with past city designs has led me to believe teams are in a bit more control than we’d think. Sure, they’re probably forced to fill all four uniform slots in general, but I don’t think there’s anything stopping a team like say, the Pelicans for example, from simply wearing red and gold versions of thier home jersey and calling them the “statement” and “city” respectively. At least, I would think nothing’s stopping them; nobody’s seemed to want to try that yet, probably because every team branching off with wackier alternates has created the want for teams to keep up with each other. 

Teams have the final say in what they wear, and what they choose to do with the uniform slots they have to fill is what can ultimately chase trends, not the action of having alternates at all. I really don’t think teams have to go as off-the-rails as they choose to. There’s plenty of ways to keep an alternate on-brand and close to the core of the team’s identity if a team wants to do so.

On the other hand, you have Miami's ransom note uniform.  It's technically so on-brand, it's got all of their brands!  

All joking aside, people wanted Miami Vice since before the Heat name was officially chosen but I doubt that NBC would have sold it to the NBA, at least cheaply.  

It's funny how Utah is going through all the colors seeing how Denver was the one who had the rainbow bricks at one time.

From https://www.nba.com/heat/team/history

"It was October 1986, and while the wheels were turning to build your favorite basketball team a home in South Florida, we were still missing a name.

So we did what they did back before the internet. We held a write-in contest to name our fledgling franchise — and we received more than 5,000 entries."

"The contest winner was Stephanie Freed, who could feel the HEAT down in her soul all the way back then. For her trouble, we blessed her with a pair of season tickets and a place in the HEAT History Books (which are definitely real things). Thanks, Stephanie!"

"Want to know what could've been? We dug through the archives and picked out some of our favorites:

Alligators, Cobras, Rattlers, Serpents, Vipers, Bagels, Bagel Dunkers, Stone Crabs, Buns, Riots, Cannons, Guerillas, Machos, Maniacs, Metros, Mermen, Shores, Suntrotters, Sunsetters, Sunspots, Sunbathers, Sunbelts, Moon Walkers, Moon Beams, Moondogs, Armadillos, Bees, Men O'War, Groupers, Sharks, Barracudas, Blue Runners, Black Mullets, Hammerheads, Kingfish, Red Snappers, Sailfish, Wahoos, and of course, Vice."

I like that they're experimenting with the caps – it's a one-off that really doesn't hold that much significance and allows to do that – but it's not really home runs they're hitting, especially with a white base color. Every cap should represent the identity of the respective team strongly and that way be clearly distinguishable from one another.

• Like 2

Pelicans brand is really good overall. I'm okay with the NOLA, but the normal white-blue-red uniforms are a fantasic set. Unique and not overly gimmicky. Pelicans is a great great name, and they did a solid job in their original set

• Like 3

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On 5/10/2022 at 1:01 PM, tBBP said:

I personally would have liked to see Memphis adopt black/yellow with some trim of either silver/charcoal or their current light blue (the way they currently use their yellow). To me that colorway fits "Grit & Grind" moreso than their current one...

They kind did something like that a few years ago. Not exactly a rebrand but they sure played around with that scheme before.

• Like 1