2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kimball

8 hours ago, tBBP said:

I've history been to San Antonio a few times, but is legit the first time I've seen or heard of SATX, as a thing or otherwise...

...now that I'm far more familiar with.

I suppose it ain't the worst thing in the world for the Spurs to try to market themselves to ATX as well, being that the two locals are what, 80 miles from each other? For their sake, I hope it works out for them.

But Austin already has a Spurs team?

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

13 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

They're planning 3 games in Austin and one in Mexico so it should help. It'll probably be the lower attended games at first.

Spurs are also returning to the Alamodome for one game which I assume is for the 50th Anniversary. Here's hoping they go with full throwback look for that one.

• Like 2

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

Spurs are also returning to the Alamodome for one game which I assume is for the 50th Anniversary. Here's hoping they go with full throwback look for that one.

Maybe they opt for the '96 all star game inspired city jerseys. The 70s/80s throwbacks that are on tap for next season don't really feel era appropriate for the Alamodome.

21 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I just feel like these were made for the sake of having them. They have a few different alternative marks they’ve used for thier La Cultura lifestyle brand that have never been official marks, I feel like these (if they really had to have them, poorly done as they are) could’ve fallen into that category instead. Teams in the NBA especially really need to start simplifying things, it’s getting out hand when the Spurs of all teams start throwing junk at the wall like this.

I agree on this that, at first glance, they're unnecessary. My first instinct was that these were designed primarily because of an upcoming City Edition design. But then some of you smartly pointed out that the SATX could be an amalgam of San Antonio and Austin, rather than the standard airport code abbreviation elsewhere. 

Now it all makes a lot more sense. New secondary marks on their own might be unnecessary, but knowing they're likely part of a brand extension designed to make a claim to the Austin market makes a lot more sense. 

The Austin metro area already nearly rivals the size of the San Antonio metro area in terms of population, and since it's likely to keep growing at a rapid pace, the physical dividing lines between the two will continue to edge closer. It's not unreasonable to think that, one day in the near future, it could evolve into some form of joint MSA -- maybe not exactly like Dallas-Ft. Worth due to the greater distance between them, but for marketing purposes, something treated as a single media market. 

So how's this for a nutty prediction: Within 10 years, we won't have the San Antonio Spurs anymore. We'll have the Texas Spurs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

1 hour ago, fortunat1 said:

Maybe they opt for the '96 all star game inspired city jerseys. The 70s/80s throwbacks that are on tap for next season don't really feel era appropriate for the Alamodome.

I think the 1996 City inspired jerseys may be what they go with. Their current uniform isn't much different from what they wore when they won their first NBA Championships, save for the logos on the shorts and the wordmark. The current Fiesta court is somewhat based on that court design, but I think this would be a great idea as well.

http://i.imgur.com/QmdeJx9.png

NLSC Forum • Downloads - 1996 NBA All-Star Court in San Antonio

1996 Eastern Conference All-Star Team Was Unbeatable: Michael Jordan Won  The MVP, While Shaquille O'Neal Dominated With 25 Points And 10 Rebounds -  Fadeaway World

I also hope they go with this seating configuration instead of the NCAA setup. Granted I can't see them getting 50,000 people into the Alamodome for a one off unless they hand out a few thousand free tickets for the nosebleeds. 

Alamodome Final Four Renovations - Marmon Mok Architecture

pSXYTF1PULkSF5XU9NmcYJz85UTgJxIKOjAMA4yZd15ALVCNaIy7XuvnhR1XOWRSd7MtoDJT8jfyqzUuOl1Vs8Dpu0Yz8NdS3-LonI-pa3h4uYGOubh57uUbeYK7Lcx6lDDlqxoRwE15HIHAG8Aa_vVSUkKjEVcdW1YJFn91OtfUj7vzdAvcBftBVwYc3AJwRERA4qoR1PbPD-Gm3MdOih3prJs3kcVMVprgCgEpk7lAgcvDflFnzWGR32Qd_MG30K8wYOW1SvK5jOwfF1uzP4tNHkXTxJ_fmduewWUPEsfPXLj4K9aDjK8lkQG4cpsr6oCdol2d9R9Os1YaQJ5ootAgn4e5CfrQs0MVWOXdIqMjttkmgluaa68aASl1Hr7lnTGNg5ZgLwtHYJPWkZFOeJlCRSYbGCz9SXCLMu9fh5yK96TuYAvati3iq4OcvhjRfRtj22HdfMo0S3hZ17QbYeYn7NcNLyFC9zm0A_u9rwt3hQbGAAbCjKD8I3Jbj5eD2aVvT1GIQTLNpQp3BJIjB_r-h6ARDG3LfHKjXgVsMHsBy9vNAVtLYNZML9tL7uE2ffMiKRhTFVIgFS9Nn9m0LGXLOrYIEcHCVxS6BrniRjnD6KPPD9RNRmrwcW9jVQ0vcOux69_VHKWXaNmXFEzdY5Wnrgs-FftKILKhiGkBBtAXo3jwzWEVKNvBUE0wUItytUpLME_6eoTX1HAfII5aqlL2KC8Ya5i-KrUwrDkax6JNMR3utydRlphXdlqb=w1238-h928-no?authuser=0

AM-JKLVoA1EoAHzrsC41L4LItPMM_WXa_XEfPs_vSOcNSy2Pm7F_5O7-paAMBsZO_luzo1HP53IRAjZ1Z5cLtp4YnytduoL0h7lJBFvgV0HKE91XPC-PhMvN5MwIzVDTfoK0QwWWpemBSyNNOt74VzxxA2CiQ4wleXvKFBBTbwW6X8JzC-p8Ky2Rvr0s2JoNTi4U7FOYX_2iw54r-w95qAzAsfEhhBo015j-f98yWPHbPuwFHm9lZEfmOn4ZIgCtyK6nfgNmIFryMMUzIHaSKHZ24VP7gHse_G4hcL83xqtSJ7AeubVYPnVCWKELWxEwgGa_SkcrL3drjNHvl8RzKVU-CEKDiqUfU7Mtca4_WLAWNme9V0qOFD61sQ_tKJhNDE61-GsAPWo_xYKj0Z2LymxjPPFQIfBpwwdZfX2OSItRFWAYQGvJ36ETFsp55NjeNyvSXYZdpdY1qaGiKcjcFPIGF3UXBpe0nJrFCQ5prjzwgtxw5RycV-3gSO332SLW13ZEg4Ecw0ir-PiwKcFS-pelswrJM9Kfe5_zKitlvKYnRAF_l9tWksKjePfRtr0t80wMzKKoptoEGst18tZ85QCjJzSyDBcLGzjuezL8ndoTQD9gF7Kmw7DcfqcRaMl-Zn7My1VbRpz9ZAagO2cSmSzhQskI6vnSHh8b_dUyB0uNzy1EbMPyc00J5zPrngfK5OVEG0V68a4sdkk5Y3vRYe0kwwyj1KSVf8MH1Minb9wRMw7ln_-YJ1ASsINxgVm9vHcZoso1DllUaaOmkJkXMvg=w1238-h928-no?authuser=0&authuser=0

The last two are from the Women's Final Four and that's the configuration I'd expect them to go with. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 5/23/2022 at 10:51 AM, bowld said:

spacer.png

I'm trying to understand how a basketball with an abbreviated wordmark slapped on it "adds some local edge. As for the wordmark, it seems a bit sloppy with too many jagged edges/corners. They should've had the spur coming off of the bottom left of the X and/or the A at an angle similar to the primary logo.

The Texas outline logo is pretty amateur-looking as well. It almost looks like someone pasted the main logo on top of a clip-art state outline, then just erased the top part with the U.

• Like 2

Honestly, if the alternates were used only on a SATX City jersey for one year, i’d be okay with it. The only one of these that could fit with the Spurs main branding it the Texas one.

9 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think the 1996 City inspired jerseys may be what they go with. Their current uniform isn't much different from what they wore when they won their first NBA Championships, save for the logos on the shorts and the wordmark. The current Fiesta court is somewhat based on that court design, but I think this would be a great idea as well.

http://i.imgur.com/QmdeJx9.png

NLSC Forum • Downloads - 1996 NBA All-Star Court in San Antonio

1996 Eastern Conference All-Star Team Was Unbeatable: Michael Jordan Won  The MVP, While Shaquille O'Neal Dominated With 25 Points And 10 Rebounds -  Fadeaway World

I also hope they go with this seating configuration instead of the NCAA setup. Granted I can't see them getting 50,000 people into the Alamodome for a one off unless they hand out a few thousand free tickets for the nosebleeds. 

Alamodome Final Four Renovations - Marmon Mok Architecture

pSXYTF1PULkSF5XU9NmcYJz85UTgJxIKOjAMA4yZd15ALVCNaIy7XuvnhR1XOWRSd7MtoDJT8jfyqzUuOl1Vs8Dpu0Yz8NdS3-LonI-pa3h4uYGOubh57uUbeYK7Lcx6lDDlqxoRwE15HIHAG8Aa_vVSUkKjEVcdW1YJFn91OtfUj7vzdAvcBftBVwYc3AJwRERA4qoR1PbPD-Gm3MdOih3prJs3kcVMVprgCgEpk7lAgcvDflFnzWGR32Qd_MG30K8wYOW1SvK5jOwfF1uzP4tNHkXTxJ_fmduewWUPEsfPXLj4K9aDjK8lkQG4cpsr6oCdol2d9R9Os1YaQJ5ootAgn4e5CfrQs0MVWOXdIqMjttkmgluaa68aASl1Hr7lnTGNg5ZgLwtHYJPWkZFOeJlCRSYbGCz9SXCLMu9fh5yK96TuYAvati3iq4OcvhjRfRtj22HdfMo0S3hZ17QbYeYn7NcNLyFC9zm0A_u9rwt3hQbGAAbCjKD8I3Jbj5eD2aVvT1GIQTLNpQp3BJIjB_r-h6ARDG3LfHKjXgVsMHsBy9vNAVtLYNZML9tL7uE2ffMiKRhTFVIgFS9Nn9m0LGXLOrYIEcHCVxS6BrniRjnD6KPPD9RNRmrwcW9jVQ0vcOux69_VHKWXaNmXFEzdY5Wnrgs-FftKILKhiGkBBtAXo3jwzWEVKNvBUE0wUItytUpLME_6eoTX1HAfII5aqlL2KC8Ya5i-KrUwrDkax6JNMR3utydRlphXdlqb=w1238-h928-no?authuser=0

AM-JKLVoA1EoAHzrsC41L4LItPMM_WXa_XEfPs_vSOcNSy2Pm7F_5O7-paAMBsZO_luzo1HP53IRAjZ1Z5cLtp4YnytduoL0h7lJBFvgV0HKE91XPC-PhMvN5MwIzVDTfoK0QwWWpemBSyNNOt74VzxxA2CiQ4wleXvKFBBTbwW6X8JzC-p8Ky2Rvr0s2JoNTi4U7FOYX_2iw54r-w95qAzAsfEhhBo015j-f98yWPHbPuwFHm9lZEfmOn4ZIgCtyK6nfgNmIFryMMUzIHaSKHZ24VP7gHse_G4hcL83xqtSJ7AeubVYPnVCWKELWxEwgGa_SkcrL3drjNHvl8RzKVU-CEKDiqUfU7Mtca4_WLAWNme9V0qOFD61sQ_tKJhNDE61-GsAPWo_xYKj0Z2LymxjPPFQIfBpwwdZfX2OSItRFWAYQGvJ36ETFsp55NjeNyvSXYZdpdY1qaGiKcjcFPIGF3UXBpe0nJrFCQ5prjzwgtxw5RycV-3gSO332SLW13ZEg4Ecw0ir-PiwKcFS-pelswrJM9Kfe5_zKitlvKYnRAF_l9tWksKjePfRtr0t80wMzKKoptoEGst18tZ85QCjJzSyDBcLGzjuezL8ndoTQD9gF7Kmw7DcfqcRaMl-Zn7My1VbRpz9ZAagO2cSmSzhQskI6vnSHh8b_dUyB0uNzy1EbMPyc00J5zPrngfK5OVEG0V68a4sdkk5Y3vRYe0kwwyj1KSVf8MH1Minb9wRMw7ln_-YJ1ASsINxgVm9vHcZoso1DllUaaOmkJkXMvg=w1238-h928-no?authuser=0&authuser=0

The last two are from the Women's Final Four and that's the configuration I'd expect them to go with. 

Super-super spreader event!

10 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I agree on this that, at first glance, they're unnecessary. My first instinct was that these were designed primarily because of an upcoming City Edition design. But then some of you smartly pointed out that the SATX could be an amalgam of San Antonio and Austin, rather than the standard airport code abbreviation elsewhere. 

Now it all makes a lot more sense. New secondary marks on their own might be unnecessary, but knowing they're likely part of a brand extension designed to make a claim to the Austin market makes a lot more sense. 

The Austin metro area already nearly rivals the size of the San Antonio metro area in terms of population, and since it's likely to keep growing at a rapid pace, the physical dividing lines between the two will continue to edge closer. It's not unreasonable to think that, one day in the near future, it could evolve into some form of joint MSA -- maybe not exactly like Dallas-Ft. Worth due to the greater distance between them, but for marketing purposes, something treated as a single media market. 

So how's this for a nutty prediction: Within 10 years, we won't have the San Antonio Spurs anymore. We'll have the Texas Spurs. 

The concept of a "Texas Spurs" rebrand to get that young/growing/super-rich metro into the fold does make sense to me, but I don't think this branding points toward it actually being in the works. SATX is just a nickname for San Antonio, that's all... and not something the Spurs newly made up. If the plan is to dump the San Antonio moniker, it'd be weird to double-down on it now, for kinda the first time in their history.

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

10 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

That's exactly what happened with Chicago and Milwaukee. 90 miles apart and their suburbs overlap in Kenosha County. 

But please no on the Texas Spurs. I still don't like that the San Francisco Warriors aren't called as such.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 5:17 PM, MJWalker45 said:

It's supposed to be gold. Could just be desaturation of the logo. It does look close to sand as opposed to old gold though. 

Spurs unveil new logo for 50th Anniversary season - Pounding The Rock

In facts they should celebrate 55th anniversary (same as Pacers, Nets and Nuggets) but look like Spurs prefer to cut whole history before moving to San Antonio.

4r2eer.png

18 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

In facts they should celebrate 55th anniversary (same as Pacers, Nets and Nuggets) but look like Spurs prefer to cut whole history before moving to San Antonio.

It's specific to their time in San Antonio. I'm not sure they had a 50th celebration previously counting their time in Dallas.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

It look like they never celebrate Chaps time except 2011/2012 season when it was 45th anniversary of founding an ABA.

BTW I never knew that after relocation to SA their first name were Gunslingers but they quickly changed it to Spurs before even played a game.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

On 5/25/2022 at 8:33 AM, gosioux76 said:

Not gonna happen, if only because it's completely unnecessary. The Spurs are already the default home team for (native) Austinites. Unlike Minneapolis vs. St. Paul or Phoenix vs. Not-Phoenix, there is no stupid, yokel-tier animosity between the two cities that would "require" the broader local designation.

• Like 1

Maybe it’s a subtle hint of what’s to come or maybe I’m just reading too much into it, but I think the shade of gold in the text of this AIM away message the Cavs posted before signing off for the holiday weekend doesn’t match their current palette. Hmm.

• Like 2