2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

8 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

That is a commonly spread myth around here. The Chicago Bulls and Portland Trail Blazers do not have a basketball in any of their logos, primary or alternate. The Bulls never had one (the court logo during the D-Rose years was never official) and the Blazers only had one with their rectangular logo set.

3 hours ago, pepis21 said:

That's not myth but actual rule: https://news.sportslogos.net/2015/05/22/atlanta-hawks-trademark-new-logo/ and earlier a suggestion: https://uni-watch.com/2009/09/10/what-youd-prefer-that-they-use-a-puck/

Bulls are grandfathered until they decide to do a rebrand (which probably never happen), Blazers somehow are also grandfathered which I guess it because they only slightly retouch their logo not completely redesign.

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Blazers could always go back to this stupid thing.

The Blazers actually do have a logo with the suggestion of a basketball in it, but it’s not an official logo (i.e. not trademarked & not used on official merch). It’s been around since about 2015 or 2016 and is used in a few select capacities:

spacer.png

I think they came up with this logo to satisfy the rule, but the NBA likely grandfathered them in anyways since their identity has been pretty steadfast over the years and the pinwheel is a pretty iconic and immediately recognizable logo. If the Blazers were ever forced to introduce a logo that incorporated the suggestion of a basketball, I’m confident that this one would be it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

9 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

That is a commonly spread myth around here. The Chicago Bulls and Portland Trail Blazers do not have a basketball in any of their logos, primary or alternate. The Bulls never had one (the court logo during the D-Rose years was never official) and the Blazers only had one with their rectangular logo set.

Makes me feel old seeing someone associate the Bulls old center court logo with the D-Rose years instead of the Jordan years.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • WOAH 1

11 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Yeah, I thought it was obvious to ppl on this forum that it applied only to redesigns, meaning that Bulls and Spurs were grandfathered in. (Rockets were also grandfatheted in but they've since redesigned their logo and now includes a basketball.  I actually prefer their 1993-94 yellow and red logo which had a basketball.)  There is this old Deadspin article that quotes a 2009 Uni Watch piece supposedly quoting the NBA's apparel director at the time.  Link is at the bottom.  San Antonio has a secondary "SA" design with a basketball (or representation of a basketball), Utah has a secondary logo with a basketball roundel, Warriors has a circle which used to have an accompanying basketball marking secondary logo but not anymore (unless you count the "The Bay" logo), Pacers has a roundel and a basketball in its secondary logo, Grizzlies has a basketball in its secondary/alternate logo, the Bucks has a hint of a hidden basketball in the antlers as well as a secondary logo with a ball, and finally the Cavs has a basketball-striped shield as a secondary/alternate logo.

So the only teams that right now doesn't have any basketballs in any of their logos are the Bulls and the Blazers (unless you count the pinwheel logo as a ball rather than the representation of 5-on-5 basketball players, which the apparel director mentioned could count).

Incidentally, I found this Lakers logo usage style guide and check out item 8 on page 40, with its accompanying illustration on page 41.

https://www.nba.com/resources/static/team/v2/lakers/media/los-angeles-lakers-styleguide.pdf

https://deadspin.com/atlanta-hawks-unveil-new-logos-1708171200

In a 2009 Uni Watch post, the NBA’s apparel director made it sound like it’s less a hard rule and more of a “suggestion,” but indeed, 28 of 30 NBA teams do include a basketball in at least one of their logos—even if it’s in an alternate logo that rarely gets used. 

The Cavs have really never had a good logo. The 2010-2017 probably had the strongest set, yet it still felt a bit amateurish and with bland uniforms. Since then it's been an inconsistent mess. I'm assuming whatever they do next will be more of the same and disappointing. 

I always wanted to see what a modernized version of the original 70s logo would look like.

fh4wdzfefsmfcaxut0absohlk.gif

But that would add yet another roundel logo to the world. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, pepis21 said:

On the other hand they had best Nets logo which Nets never have.

It is funny that a team called the Cavaliers has had 2 primary logos featuring a net, but a team called the Nets hasn't ever had one.

• Like 3

More Jazz rumors. Guy on twitter (@davidkentclark) ran into the Jazz owner and asked about the yellow/black/white. 

The owner showed him a ton of pics on his phone. White and yellow jerseys basically confirmed. Said he saw a few iterations of black jerseys but the leak seems to be legit to me. 

He saw 2 court designs, 1 diagonal wood, gray/dull color to it with lots of black. 

Also said he saw some jerseys they are working on for the future that are purple mountains (but new mountains) and a new purple note jersey. 

Oh and the dark mode city jerseys will be back next season. So the full set will be white/yellow/black. 

39 minutes ago, DJT said:

More Jazz rumors. Guy on twitter (@davidkentclark) ran into the Jazz owner and asked about the yellow/black/white. 

The owner showed him a ton of pics on his phone. White and yellow jerseys basically confirmed. Said he saw a few iterations of black jerseys but the leak seems to be legit to me. 

He saw 2 court designs, 1 diagonal wood, gray/dull color to it with lots of black. 

Also said he saw some jerseys they are working on for the future that are purple mountains (but new mountains) and a new purple note jersey. 

Oh and the dark mode city jerseys will be back next season. So the full set will be white/yellow/black. 

So from what I am understanding, they will have purple for city uniforms in the future which I can assume will inevitably end up being the default Jazz look in 5 years once they get their little yellow/black nonsense out of their system. They know what they want except they don't.

I speculate that he must realize he made a mistake and can't reverse the course because he put time and resources into it and also was probably talked into it by D-Wade, so they have to just live with it for now, but there's nothing in the NBA rules about waiting it out like in the NFL.

• Like 4

bSLCtu2.png

19 minutes ago, dont care said:

So a random guy just bumps into the owner, and starts talking about the uniforms, and the owner just goes sure here’s my phone you can see them all. I’m very skeptical that’s a real story.

Go to his twitter haha. Seems outlandish but he got pictures with the owner and described in detail everything he said and saw more or less. 

Although it sounds like some of it was concepts to me but we will find out. 

And I think the jazz realize the black/yellow/white isn’t what people want. Although if the 2 year thing is accurate this would have been in the works before he even took over the team or maybe right when he took over. 

It’ll be interesting to see how long it lasts knowing they want to go back to purple already. 

Maybe the Jazz are playing a brilliant long game to tie purple mountains, red rocks, and gold note all together.  Got to clean the slate first and start with black and yellow.   Then add the purple back in

Maybe not

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

New logo being used on the top nav of Cavs.com:

Asset-4-3.svg

Looks eerily similar to LeBron 1.0 colors. Maybe not an exact replication, but it might be something along those lines.

Also looks kinda dull. Probably not a great idea to combine current wine with vegas gold, both colors that aren’t as vibrant.

• Like 5

I’m getting some Laimbeer Cavs vibes from that:

spacer.png

Also seems like the current wine and the LeBron 1.0 gold mashing up. I hope those are the only colors and no navy or black, because I think keeping it simple with those colors could look really good if used right.

• Like 4

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

36 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

current wine

31 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

1980-1983... gold

Based on TruColor's records, it looks like it is the current wine and almost the same gold used on the uniforms from 1980-81 through 1982-83.

3sBvImu.png

• Like 5

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."