2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kimball

I will never understand why they moved away from this logo. It was perfect in every single way. I'm a Lakers fan but this was probably my favorite logo in the league at the time and is still in my Top 10 all time NBA logos. I can just hear "They Reminisce Over You" playing as I stare at this logo and if you know what I'm talking about then you're really cool.

cleveland_cavaliers_logo_primary_2004612

• Like 13
  • Love 2

bSLCtu2.png

On 5/28/2022 at 8:30 AM, Old School Fool said:

I will never understand why they moved away from this logo. It was perfect in every single way. I'm a Lakers fan but this was probably my favorite logo in the league at the time and is still in my Top 10 all time NBA logos. I can just hear "They Reminisce Over You" playing as I stare at this logo and if you know what I'm talking about then you're really cool.

To me that logo was just okay, a little on the generic side. The first rendition of the court with that identity, though, had everything right in every way, and I don't get why they felt the need to mess around with it so many times after, resulting in not so good and considerably weaker looks.

eric-snow-of-the-cleveland-cavaliers-sho

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

3 hours ago, truepg said:

To me that logo was just okay, a little on the generic side. The first rendition of the court with that identity, though, had everything right in every way, and I don't get why they felt the need to mess around with it so many times after, resulting in not so good and considerably weaker looks.

eric-snow-of-the-cleveland-cavaliers-sho

A combination of maximizing merchandise sales with LeBron on the roster and the Dan Gilbert getting restless after a year or two effect.

I agree that the LeBron 1.0 era look and jerseys was something that should have stuck around longer than it did, although I guess I can understanding wanting to hit the reset button after “The Decision.” The endless tweaking of the 2010s, though, was not good.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, projectjohn said:

A combination of maximizing merchandise sales with LeBron on the roster and the Dan Gilbert getting restless after a year or two effect.

I agree that the LeBron 1.0 era look and jerseys was something that should have stuck around longer than it did, although I guess I can understanding wanting to hit the reset button after “The Decision.” The endless tweaking of the 2010s, though, was not good.

The jerseys were not intentionally changed after LBJ left. There’s typically a 2-year process in advance. You can’t just switch up uniforms 3 months after your star player leaves. It was just convenient timing.

• Like 3

My unpopular opinion is that the LeBron 1.0 jerseys weren’t very good. The red and gold were a dull, washed-out palette; that chunky number font is painfully early 00s. The navy alt of those years saved the entire set.

• Like 3
  • Huh? 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Looking back on the LeBron 1.0 set, I loved the white home uniform but felt the red and navy uniform had some problems.

On the red uniform, the navy trim on the collar seemed really out of place and stuck out like a sore thumb (as opposed to the white uniform, where the navy numbers and side panel trim balanced the colors out right). And on the navy uniform - unpopular opinion alert - the barberpole stripes were too chunky and distracting for my tastes. I’d have much rather them kept the same template as the white and wine uniforms.

I still prefer the whole set over anything else they’ve worn since, but it definitely wasn’t without its flaws.

As an aside, I believe I’ve said this before, but the Cavs are one of the few teams in sports where I have no clue what thier ideal uniform or identity is, or should be. They’ve had so many identities and looks over the course of thier history (and even within my own lifetime) that nothing stands out to me as the “right” thing for them to do. They could switch to brown and orange tomorrow and I don’t think it’d even phase me. I mean, I do think they need to finally just pick something and stick with it for once, but I don’t think I even care what that is, as long as it looks good. That’s not a very good brand history to look back on when “just pick something, I don’t care” is the response it prompts.

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Looking back on the LeBron 1.0 set, I loved the white home uniform but felt the red and navy uniform had some problems.

On the red uniform, the navy trim on the collar seemed really out of place and stuck out like a sore thumb (as opposed to the white uniform, where the navy numbers and side panel trim balanced the colors out right). And on the navy uniform - unpopular opinion alert - the barberpole stripes were too chunky and distracting for my tastes. I’d have much rather them kept the same template as the white and wine uniforms.

I still prefer the whole set over anything else they’ve worn since, but it definitely wasn’t without its flaws.

As an aside, I believe I’ve said this before, but the Cavs are one of the few teams in sports where I have no clue what thier ideal uniform or identity is, or should be. They’ve had so many identities and looks over the course of thier history (and even within my own lifetime) that nothing stands out to me as the “right” thing for them to do. They could switch to brown and orange tomorrow and I don’t think it’d even phase me. I mean, I do think they need to finally just pick something and stick with it for once, but I don’t think I even care what that is, as long as it looks good. That’s not a very good brand history to look back on when “just pick something, I don’t care” is the response it prompts.

For better or worse, getting beat by Jordan/all the LeBron drama *is* their identity at this point. The visual part of it is just along for the ride lol. I think they might be the worst offender in pro sports when it comes to building a signature visual brand.

• Like 3

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 5/28/2022 at 1:30 AM, Old School Fool said:

Their 2K League team's logo is better since it actually depicts a cavalier (and because "team name over basketball" logos are so played out in the NBA) but it is still better than the current logo.

For me, it's "The Second Coming" by Jewelz Santana. So glorious... victorious!

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

because "team name over basketball" logos are so played out in the NBA

Agreed, but I think that the league made having a basketball in the logo a requirement a few seasons back.

2 hours ago, sayahh said:

Agreed, but I think that the league made having a basketball in the logo a requirement a few seasons back.

That is a commonly spread myth around here. The Chicago Bulls and Portland Trail Blazers do not have a basketball in any of their logos, primary or alternate. The Bulls never had one (the court logo during the D-Rose years was never official) and the Blazers only had one with their rectangular logo set.

• Like 1

That's not myth but actual rule: https://news.sportslogos.net/2015/05/22/atlanta-hawks-trademark-new-logo/ and earlier a suggestion: https://uni-watch.com/2009/09/10/what-youd-prefer-that-they-use-a-puck/

Bulls are grandfathered until they decide to do a rebrand (which probably never happen), Blazers somehow are also grandfathered which I guess it because they only slightly retouch their logo not completely redesign.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

1 hour ago, pepis21 said:

That's not myth but actual rule: https://news.sportslogos.net/2015/05/22/atlanta-hawks-trademark-new-logo/ and earlier a suggestion: https://uni-watch.com/2009/09/10/what-youd-prefer-that-they-use-a-puck/

Bulls are grandfathered until they decide to do a rebrand (which probably never happen), Blazers somehow are also grandfathered which I guess it because they only slightly retouch their logo not completely redesign.

Bulls already had a basketball logo for years anyways so if the NBA forces them they already have it.

Bulls-court.jpg

Blazers could always go back to this stupid thing.

823.gif

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png