2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

37 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

Click through that image to see a new logo on the very top-left of that screenshot.

Cleveland is known for their mashups of eras (they were doing CavFantics before it was cool), so it seems like that’s what they’re going for.

• Early ‘80s/early ‘00s color scheme
  • Late 80’s logo combined with current wordmark
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Cleveland is known for their mashups of eras (they were doing CavFantics before it was cool), so it seems like that’s what they’re going for.

• Early ‘80s/early ‘00s color scheme
  • Late 80’s logo combined with current wordmark

Even so, there's a real visual disconnect between that V-net logo and the re-colored Lebron-era C that @Conrad. shared earlier and is showcased on this team shop page. Like, if that was meant as a permanent wordmark, how would that "C" fit in with it?

I have to wonder whether that CAVS-with-a-net logo isn't another City Edition era mashup like we saw last year.  

• Like 5

I hope that new CAVS with a net is only an alternate logo, didn't feel it needed a comeback at all. The sword has been an excellent symbol for the Cavaliers and they'd be wise to keep it.

Also the C mark really works with a flattened single-color gold "drop shadow". Weird to see a team go back to a bleaker shade in an era of vibrant colors, but then again, I never was fully onboard with the recent bright yellow, and this sets them well apart from the Nuggets and makes their identity more unique.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, truepg said:

I hope that new CAVS with a net is only an alternate logo, didn't feel it needed a comeback at all. The sword has been an excellent symbol for the Cavaliers and they'd be wise to keep it.

Also the C mark really works with a flattened single-color gold "drop shadow". Weird to see a team go back to a bleaker shade in an era of vibrant colors, but then again, I never was fully onboard with the recent bright yellow, and this sets them well apart from the Nuggets and makes their identity more unique.

The Cavs should stick with the original gold, IMO, but I like the logo update a lot and I think the new identity will be an upgrade. The extra accents of navy and black have muddied the look for years and the simplified logo will be a superior mark. 

The team has been using the single outline black & white logo for a while and I saw that C logo on the NBA Live mobile game weeks ago, glad to see it's official.

Even though the two-color C is an improvement, I've never really felt the drop shadow was necessary. It always seemed clunky and awkward. I prefer the simpler 2D C used on the championship black sleeved jerseys. 

As for the colors, I think switching the gold took away a nice "pop" of color. Old gold, wine and black are all a bit dull together.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Yeah no sword is very disappointing, and the 3 colors work better with the C, something about the gold touching wine looks off. 

But that new Cavsketball wordmark slaps

I'm holding onto hope that the sword C is still part of the set.

• Like 3

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Obviously it'll all come down to how they use these elements and how the brand lives and breathes every day, but seeing stylistic inconsistencies in the first 3 leaked elements does scare me a bit. There's 2 logos with no black, then a logo that's very heavily black. There's flat text, inline text, and 3D drop shadows.  Looking forward to the full package, as I do like the colors (hoping for a more metallic gold on fabrics) and I think they can own them.

• Like 4

That shield logo is atrocious. I honestly don’t remember seeing the last one much after the first year or so after it was introduced. The C logo will be the de facto primary, which I’m fine with, but something certainly gets lost in the logo when it’s only two colors and keeps the drop shadow. IMO, the drop shadow worked better with a third color, but I think this is the best bet because introducing black to the C logo would’ve muddied an already dull logo. 

Holding out for my final opinion until we see them formally unveiled and the new jersey’s. 

• Like 4

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, mattb6 said:

That shield logo is atrocious. I honestly don’t remember seeing the last one much after the first year or so after it was introduced. The C logo will be the de facto primary, which I’m fine with, but something certainly gets lost in the logo when it’s only two colors and keeps the drop shadow. IMO, the drop shadow worked better with a third color, but I think this is the best bet because introducing black to the C logo would’ve muddied an already dull logo. 

Holding out for my final opinion until we see them formally unveiled and the new jersey’s. 

I don't know who they hired to draw that shield. It had to be someone who just opened Adobe Illustrator for the first time ever or a live trace of something. Those top 3 points drive me insane. What's even crazier is that the alternate shield, with basketball lines, is actually drawn fine and has sharp lines. Both need to go regardless. 

• Like 7

I’m getting confused about this supposed new shield. The mother site article says it’s on the team site and/or team shop site, but I’m not seeing it anywhere on either page. Am I just missing it in plain sight, or are we sure it’s actually a thing somewhere? 

The new “C” and the “CAVS” word mark are definitely still there, though. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

I don't know who they hired to draw that shield. It had to be someone who just opened Adobe Illustrator for the first time ever or a live trace of something. Those top 3 points drive me insane. What's even crazier is that the alternate shield, with basketball lines, is actually drawn fine and has sharp lines. Both need to go regardless. 

Well…..Not exactly.

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/daniel-arsham-cleveland-cavaliers-nba-1924041/amp-page