2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

It's interesting to me that they deemed the sword extraneous in that shield logo. I didn't love it, but it at least made it feel more substantive than it is now.

And I'll say it again: As much as I kind of like the CAVS-net logo, it feels completely out of place with the rest of the package. These could be logos for two different teams. 

• Like 6

The Cavs have officially reverted back to "Thunder/Clippers/Nets" branding. Where your identity is now completely void of any design elements that reference your team's name. They are now just a generic basketball team. You could literally switch the name from Cavaliers to anything else and these logos would still work. It's the same problem they had from 80s-2000s.

• Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

I like it a bit more than what they currently have, finally ditching the hideous blue/black combo for just black and adding the LeBron era gold, but c'mon! Can the Cavs EVER commit to a full rebrand for once? This is legit their 4th brand recoloring/refresh under this design.

• Like 5

Thank god they finally decided to not have both black & navy blue in the colour scheme, but that's the only element of this that is a clear upgrade. Removing the sword from their identity is an awful decision. A name like Cavaliers has lots of great design potential, but now they look completely generic.

The CAVS script is awful. They're trying to do way too much with it. Combining 3 different wordmarks from your history into 1 just makes for a disjointed mess. Having a logo that's supposed to look like the championship trophy is ridiculous, especially for a franchise that's only won 1 title in over 50 years.

I'm pretty indifferent on the athletic gold vs. metallic gold. It's strange though because on the new merch it looks a bit more yellow than it does on the press release.

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

3 hours ago, mattb6 said:

That shield logo is atrocious. I honestly don’t remember seeing the last one much after the first year or so after it was introduced. The C logo will be the de facto primary, which I’m fine with, but something certainly gets lost in the logo when it’s only two colors and keeps the drop shadow. IMO, the drop shadow worked better with a third color, but I think this is the best bet because introducing black to the C logo would’ve muddied an already dull logo. 

Holding out for my final opinion until we see them formally unveiled and the new jersey’s. 

The shield looks empty without the sword. Too much blank space there for it to warrant such a large shield.

Hopefully the uniforms look sharp. Maybe we'll see a return of older uniform elements as we already have with the "CAVS" wordmark

• Like 3

The minimalism of the "ball" in the new Cavs wordmark is really bothering me. It feels odd to me to have thin lines making up the net element, and the inner line in the text itself, but to not have any in a classic basketball stitching formation there.

• Like 8

It's a damn shame how Cleveland can't seem to find their footing with their identity, and instead of doing anything that ever feels comprehensive it rather feels like they are just every few years making impulse tweaks -- and tweaks that are not sound from a graphic design perspective, let alone a full branding perspective (for example: ambigiously transitioning from navy to black and just slapping logos on a shield and calling it a day).

This is just more of their bad habits they'e had -- the brand around the LeBron area could have been cleaned up a bit, but they really had something there. I get maybe trying to differentiate yourself from him by changing things up, but this is a bunch of meh.

Unfortunately it's just a problem across the NBA as well.

• Like 10

The new wordmark would've been good for the 75th Anniversary city uni since it references three different Cavs identities. It doesn't make sense for a full time look though. I especially agree about the minimalistic basketball sucking too. Let's hope the uniforms will at least be nice, but I doubt that's the case. 

• Like 4

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

My, oh my.

So, they took the poor primary logo and removed the one good and redeeming element from it, and kept everything else. 🤦‍♂️ 

Also removing the most interesting symbolic element that distinguishes this team from everyone else. I kinda see that you couldn't have had both the ball-net and the sword as the centerpiece of the identity, but we didn't need that net logo at all. That being said, however, in a vacuum, it is very well executed, and could've been used as an insignificant tertiary logo in the same manner of the Hornets' "Buzz City" logo, and make an appearance on an alternate jersey or something if they so badly wanted to.

Well, at least the transition to metallic gold  is the redeeming part of this change, but boy they failed to improve even on the previous update. Hoping the unis would make up for this considerably.

LeBron 1.0 era identity is still the best one of all its different forms we've seen.

P.S. What comes to comments on the ball lacking seams – there is enough intricate detailing in the letters' inlines and the net, so adding lines to the ball would be too much visually. Also, let's not pretend they were intending to design a Larry O'Brien trophy element – because it's not, it's just a net and a ball – they just came up with that notion afterwards. Then again, for a city that so much values its title after striving for it for so long and having finally won one, I don't see any harm done and totally appropriate.

• Like 3

On 5/23/2022 at 1:10 PM, Lights Out said:

As far as the draft hats are concerned, literally anything is better than the bootleg gas station hats that Adidas was putting out in the late 2000s.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm pretty sure the target audience for these things was the same demographic that only watches college basketball because "they play defense, unlike the NBA." 🙄

Gas station hats is a fantastic description of these clown shows. 

23 minutes ago, truepg said:

My, oh my.

So, they took the poor primary logo and removed the one good and redeeming element from it, and kept everything else. 🤦‍♂️ 

Also removing the most interesting symbolic element that distinguishes this team from everyone else. I kinda see that you couldn't have had both the ball-net and the sword as the centerpiece of the identity, but we didn't need that net logo at all. That being said, however, in a vacuum, it is very well executed, and could've been used as an insignificant tertiary logo in the same manner of the Hornets' "Buzz City" logo, and make an appearance on an alternate jersey or something if they so badly wanted to.

Well, at least the transition to metallic gold  is the redeeming part of this change, but boy they failed to improve even on the previous update. Hoping the unis would make up for this considerably.

LeBron 1.0 era identity is still the best one of all its different forms we've seen.

P.S. What comes to comments on the ball lacking seams – there is enough intricate detailing in the letters' inlines and the net, so adding lines to the ball would be too much visually. Also, let's not pretend they were intending to design a Larry O'Brien trophy element – because it's not, it's just a net and a ball – they just came up with that notion afterwards. Then again, for a city that so much values its title after striving for it for so long and having finally won one, I don't see any harm done and totally appropriate.

With the way this is going, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cavs+net+ball logo eventually becomes the main logo within the next 5 years. I wasn't around for the 80s teams and have absolutely no connection to the orange/blue era. Maybe some Cavs fans do, but the team is trying way too hard to combine as many eras as possible with every new set of logos.

• Like 1

While I’m generally disappointed that the sword is being phased out, I have no problem with removing it from the shield logo. It drove me nuts that the sword in that logo was broken apart without any sort of visual cue as to why, and if you remove the words “CLEVELAND CAVALIERS,” that sword is comically longer than the standalone version. It just didn’t work.

Whoa, mama. I don't care for most of this.

• The omission of the sword, the only element that screamed "cavalier." 
  • The unnecessary black in the shield
  • The weird, unmatching corners in the V of the CAVS logo
  • The mish mash of fonts

I guess the colors are fine. They're my high school colors and they're original to the NBA. The feathered C is fine but, again, was better with the sword.

• Like 8