The Rite of Spring: 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Brass

Blues stave off elimination with a huge comeback in the third to clinch out Game 5 in OT and now get to head home with a massive momentum boost.

If they win this series, that Thomas goal is going to be the iconic moment of it and the Avs are going to have to deal with the branding of being the new Capitals with how damn often they choke in the second round.

1 hour ago, DoctorWhom said:

Do people really think Ranger or Hurricanes can beat the Lightning? 

The Oilers can, if Mike Smith doesn't blow the series for his team. He's a former All-Star goalie. He needs to play his best game. If we get Edmonton vs Tampa in the final, the Oilers may have a much harder time tying the game over and over again, after repeated blunders. Vasy is a far superior goalie.

1 hour ago, DoctorWhom said:

Like I thought, Tampa - Toronto was the real conference Final. Both of those teams could have beaten any of the remaining teams.

Toronto was leading the series 3-2.

I consider their loss a choke.

8 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Toronto was leading the series 3-2.

I consider their loss a choke.

Choking is taking a sure victory and completely fumbling it, not losing a close series against the two-time champions. Just because it's Toronto doesn't mean it's always a choke. Sometimes teams just lose without choking.

If anybody choked in the Atlantic, it's Florida that did it. Struggled against Washington and then got bodied by the Lightning after looking damn-near unstoppable in the regular season? That's prime choking.

• Like 2

Leafs actually had expectations, and they were leading the series, so I consider that a choke. Especially when this was probably the best chance they would ever have of making a deep run. 

Oddly I don't consider the Panthers choking because as the President's trophy winners, they were expected to lose in the 1st or 2nd round.  

41 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

Leafs actually had expectations, and they were leading the series, so I consider that a choke. Especially when this was probably the best chance they would ever have of making a deep run. 

Oddly I don't consider the Panthers choking because as the President's trophy winners, they were expected to lose in the 1st or 2nd round.  

Bowing out in the second round by being completely and utterly declawed in a four-game asskicking as a team expected to make a ton of noise in the playoffs is absolutely a choke. Especially when they struggled to even win a series against the Caps.

Remember, choking in sports is a team failing to act as anticipated. People anticipated Florida would be a Cup finalist, and they got a team that struggled to beat an old man squad that limped into the postseason and then got absolutely mauled by the defending champions the next round.

People anticipated the Leafs losing in seven to Tampa because it's their running gag; and if it's anticipated, it's not a choke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Choking is taking a sure victory and completely fumbling it, not losing a close series against the two-time champions. Just because it's Toronto doesn't mean it's always a choke. Sometimes teams just lose without choking.

If anybody choked in the Atlantic, it's Florida that did it. Struggled against Washington and then got bodied by the Lightning after looking damn-near unstoppable in the regular season? That's prime choking.

The Leafs fell short and blew another lead.

Maybe by definition it's technically not a choke. But from an emotional standpoint, it's the Leafs, it's the first round, and they had a chance to end it but they didn't, opponent completes the comeback and wins. Their repeated history of failed attempts is probably why the word "choke" trended so much, during round 1.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

The Oilers can, if Mike Smith doesn't blow the series for his team. He's a former All-Star goalie. He needs to play his best game. If we get Edmonton vs Tampa in the final, the Oilers may have a much harder time tying the game over and over again, after repeated blunders. Vasy is a far superior goalie.

The Oilers have to get past Colorado/St. Louis first, which isn't going to be an easy task. I'm hoping we get a McDavid vs. MacKinnon battle.

I can't believe they called back that Flames goal at the end. I can see the argument for him kicking it in, but it was nowhere near distinct enough to overturn the call on the ice. They really just need to change the rule to allow any kicked in goals to count. That will get rid of any grey area around the interpretation of "distinct kicking motion". You're allowed to kick the puck to your teammate for an assist, why shouldn't you be able to kick it in? Guys aren't going to suddenly start winding up kicks like they're going for a field goal.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 11:23 PM, Ridleylash said:

Blues stave off elimination with a huge comeback in the third to clinch out Game 5 in OT and now get to head home with a massive momentum boost.

If they win this series, that Thomas goal is going to be the iconic moment of it and the Avs are going to have to deal with the branding of being the new Capitals with how damn often they choke in the second round.

The second round choking is a little over blown.

Last year against Vegas is a choke only because they lost 4 straight after being up 2-0. People forget Vegas tied the Avs for the president's trophy. 2020 against Dallas they were down to their 3rd string goalie. And 2019 against San Jose they were the 8 seed and barely made the playoffs.

• Like 1

jNTsTyQ.png

On 5/25/2022 at 11:23 PM, Ridleylash said:

To be fair, the Avs and Caps have both lost 6 series each in the Second Round or Semifinals since the 2001-2002 season.