The Rite of Spring: 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Brass

I have never seen a league so committed to recycling the same coaches around the entire league quite like the NHL. I half expect that when DeBoer, Laviolette, Trotz, Gallant, Sutter, Vigneault, Torts, Yeo, Hitchcock, and Quenneville retire the NHL will just fold because they don’t know that other coaches exist. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

spacer.png

Rangers are probably done after that. 

Much as I don’t want to see the Lightning 3-peat, a Lightning v. Avalanche Cup Final would probably be glorious. 

spacer.png

The Rangers won Games 1 and 2 and gave me hope. But the 'Ning Dynasty is not to be stopped.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, Sport said:

https://theathletic.com/3353799/2022/06/10/canada-stanley-cup-drought/

Noted Canadian and Maple Leaf fan Sean McIndoe on the Canadian cup drought.

For those who don't subscribe to The Athletic, he essentially debunks all the theories for why it's gone on this long and concludes that's it's likely some sort of combination of factors.

This poll is a good indicator that this whole narrative is more important to the media than it actually is to Canadian hockey fans.

3 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

For those who don't subscribe to The Athletic, he essentially debunks all the theories for why it's gone on this long and concludes that's it's likely some sort of combination of factors.

I wouldn't say he's debunking them because he also provides the reasons why each cause makes sense. He's just laying out reasons to explain why this might be happening. 

He finishes with

"I don’t think we can settle on one answer. I’ve given you the eight best theories that are out there, and none of them stands out as being unassailable. But that doesn’t mean we’ve come up empty. Most complicated problems have more than one cause, so we can pick and choose from our options here.

Personally, put me down for a mix of theories 3 and 7, a little bit of theory 5, and a healthy dollop of theory 8. Your recipe might be different, and I’m open to hearing it, or any other theories you might want to share. "

And where have I seen this before? 

"There are seven Canadian franchises, nearly a full quarter of the NHL’s 32 teams. Those numbers have changed over the years, but the ratio has been roughly consistent, meaning you’d expect a Canadian team to win a Cup every four or five years. Instead, nothing."

3 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

This poll is a good indicator that this whole narrative is more important to the media than it actually is to Canadian hockey fans.

The extent to which people care is separate from your initial point that a Canadian cup drought doesn't even exist. It does. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

That poll is only a good indicator of what the respondents of that particular poll think. Unless it was designed to be an accurate representation of the population that is in question, it has no value. This goes for any online poll, call-in, anything.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

As an Islander fan this ECF is the worst of all worlds.  I hate the Rangers and want them to lose out but since the Lightning beat us in the last two ECF's can't exactly root for them either.  So I guess I'm rooting for the Avalanche from here out.

2 hours ago, Sport said:

And where have I seen this before? 

"There are seven Canadian franchises, nearly a full quarter of the NHL’s 32 teams. Those numbers have changed over the years, but the ratio has been roughly consistent, meaning you’d expect a Canadian team to win a Cup every four or five years. Instead, nothing."

The law of averages only works if it's a different team winning the Cup every year. In the 29 years since Montreal's last title only 14 different teams have won.

Also if you expand the sample size to the last 38 years (including this year), Canadian teams have won 8 Cups. That works out to just over 20%.

Don't really have a dog left here except wanting Tampa to lose because :censored: them being the NHL's Warriors and 3peateing in the East. 

If I had to choose, I guess I have pull for Colorado here since as a Bruins fan, they gave Ray Bourque the Cup the Bruins never could.   So I guess I have a soft spot for them. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

That poll is only a good indicator of what the respondents of that particular poll think. Unless it was designed to be an accurate representation of the population that is in question, it has no value. This goes for any online poll, call-in, anything.

AFAIC, the only thing useful about polls are trends. So you’d have to ask this same question repeatedly every few months or so to even get the one bit of data that would actually be of use to anyone.