The Rite of Spring: 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Brass

11 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I though Smith was going to rebound after last game?

He actually did play pretty well. The rest of his team either hung him out to dry or didn’t bother to show up though.

The first/third goal were because of terrible defense, and the fourth goal he was missing half his equipment. 

jNTsTyQ.png

This Rangers run has been impressive, but I got a feeling that Colorado is going to be rude awakening for those guys. If the Avalanche can buckle down more defensively so they don't get into shootouts with Edmonton, you got to like their chances against whoever comes out of the East. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

5 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

This Rangers run has been impressive, but I got a feeling that Colorado is going to be rude awakening for those guys. If the Avalanche can buckle down more defensively so they don't get into shootouts with Edmonton, you got to like their chances against whoever comes out of the East. 

Tampa still scares me.  Their defense and goalie matchup the best against the Avs.

jNTsTyQ.png

If the Oilers get swept, the one positive is that they could come back stronger next year without the neon jerseys, if they choose. They should just wear their regular home jerseys because the entire crowd is a massive sea of orange.

NHL teams when Mike Smith, consistently inconsistent goaltender known for conceding softies, concedes a softie at the worst possible time:

spacer.png

• Like 2

spacer.png

On 6/4/2022 at 8:12 PM, habsfan1 said:

If the Oilers get swept, the one positive is that they could come back stronger next year without the neon jerseys, if they choose. They should just wear their regular home jerseys because the entire crowd is a massive sea of orange.

Agreed. I’d rather see the Oilers in orange than that incomplete-looking, navy alternate they have going on. At least the pre-Edge  navy/copper/red look had enough white that gave it some pop.

(Of course, unpopular opinion time, I wouldn’t mind Edmonton sticking to orange primaries, even though indications are that they aren’t.)

On 6/4/2022 at 10:41 PM, DoctorWhom said:

It's honestly crazy how one year wonder bubble year Montreal is the closest any canadian team has gotten to a cup in over a decade. 

People talk about this "Canadian Cup drought" as if every Canadian player plays for one of the 7 teams. It's a completely arbitrary group of teams who just happen to all have home arenas north of the border.

Every single Stanley Cup winner has had several Canadians on their roster. The so-called "drought" is just a media fabrication.

34 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

People talk about this "Canadian Cup drought" as if every Canadian player plays for one of the 7 teams. It's a completely arbitrary group of teams who just happen to all have home arenas north of the border.

Literally nobody thinks the Canadian cup drought means A Canadian hasn't won the cup since in 29 years. Everybody knows they're talking about the 7 teams based in Canada. We don't need to specifically explain that every time it comes up. 

34 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Every single Stanley Cup winner has had several Canadians on their roster. The so-called "drought" is just a media fabrication.

Math and reality aren't a fabrication of the media. Why is "drought" in quotes? Are you saying 29 years without a team from Canada winning the cup isn't a drought? A fifth of the league is based in Canada yet they've collectively gone nearly three decades without any one of them winning the cup. In theory they should win one every 5 years. There's been more recent NBA and World Series parades in Canada. I'm sorry, but that's a drought. 

• Like 7

PvO6ZWJ.png

The last time a Canadian team won the Cup, the most recent expansion teams were Ottawa and Tampa Bay, both of which are celebrating their 30th anniversaries next season.

Anaheim, Florida, Dallas, Colorado, Arizona, Carolina, Nashville, Atlanta/Winnipeg, Minnesota, Columbus, Vegas and Seattle have all joined the league since then. I find it VERY difficult to argue that's not a drought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

It's pretty noteworthy that fans from the country that invented hockey have not been able to celebrate their team winning a Cup in 30 years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The last time a Canadian team won the Cup, the most recent expansion teams were Ottawa and Tampa Bay, both of which are celebrating their 30th anniversaries next season.

An American team won the Grey Cup more recently than a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup.

• Like 4
  • WOAH 1

the user formerly known as cdclt