The Rite of Spring: 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Brass

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Great news. With a record like what Cassidy has, this has to be a move based on his relationship with the players. The way he’s talked during press conferences and about players doesn’t make that situation not plausible. He’s also failed to have his teams show up at really important times. That, in my humble opinion, falls on the coach.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

17 hours ago, Sport said:

Literally nobody thinks the Canadian cup drought means A Canadian hasn't won the cup since in 29 years. Everybody knows they're talking about the 7 teams based in Canada. We don't need to specifically explain that every time it comes up. 

Math and reality aren't a fabrication of the media. Why is "drought" in quotes? Are you saying 29 years without a team from Canada winning the cup isn't a drought? A fifth of the league is based in Canada yet they've collectively gone nearly three decades without any one of them winning the cup. In theory they should win one every 5 years. There's been more recent NBA and World Series parades in Canada. I'm sorry, but that's a drought. 

It's also been nearly 30 years since one of the Rangers, Islanders, Flyers, Sabres, Blue Jackets, Panthers, or Predators has won a Cup. In theory one of them should win every 5 years. Its just as arbitrary of a list of teams.

The media who emphasizes this drought is the same one that tries to declare the last Canadian team remaining in the playoffs is "Canada's team".

16 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

It's pretty noteworthy that fans from the country that invented hockey have not been able to celebrate their team winning a Cup in 30 years.

But the Stanley Cup has been brought back to Canada literally every summer. When Ottawa lost to Anaheim in the Finals the Ducks had more Canadians on their roster than the Sens did. We've gotten to see multiple Olympic golds, World Cups, World Championships, and World Juniors titles over that stretch.

16 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

But the Stanley Cup has been brought back to Canada literally every summer. When Ottawa lost to Anaheim in the Finals the Ducks had more Canadians on their roster than the Sens did.

I'm sure some 4th liner has brought the Cup to San Jose too but I doubt it's much of a consolation for Sharks fans

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

It's also been nearly 30 years since one of the Rangers, Islanders, Flyers, Sabres, Blue Jackets, Panthers, or Predators has won a Cup. In theory one of them should win every 5 years.

Yes correct. Sounds like those 7 randomly selected teams have a collective "drought" going. 

Its just as arbitrary of a list of teams.

No it is not. The 7 Canadian teams share a handful of challenges, both economic and environmental, that they have to overcome to win the cup that their counterparts based in America don't have to grapple with nearly as much. It's those factors caused by location that tie them together. It's not random. The Flames have more in common with the Oilers and Jets than they do with the Panthers and Rangers. They just do. 

Is your irritation that it keeps being brought up? I'm sorry, but it's notable.

The media who emphasizes this drought is the same one that tries to declare the last Canadian team remaining in the playoffs is "Canada's team".

Literally nobody believes that when one Canadian team is left it means that every single living Canadian is rooting for them. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

I popped into this thread to say "yahhh Colorado" (as one of those Canadians who didn't root for "Canada's team" lol)  just to see this debate and I'm very confused. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude but.....

An American franchise with Canadian players on it who bring the Stanley Cup to Canada on their day with the cup isn't the same as a Canadian franchise winning the cup at all.

Obviously the phrase "Canadian Cup drought" is talking about franchises not individual players. 

• Like 3

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

17 minutes ago, Sport said:

No it is not. The 7 Canadian teams share a handful of challenges, both economic and environmental, that they have to overcome to win the cup that their counterparts based in America don't have to grapple with nearly as much. It's those factors caused by location that tie them together. It's not random. The Flames have more in common with the Oilers and Jets than they do with the Panthers and Rangers. They just do. 

I'd say smaller market teams like the Jets or Oilers have more in common with a team like the Sabres than they do with the Leafs. The economics of Alberta vs. Ontario are just as different as Texas vs. California, so every team has its own unique challenges & benefits.

10 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

An American franchise with Canadian players on it who bring the Stanley Cup to Canada on their day with the cup isn't the same as a Canadian franchise winning the cup at all.

Obviously the phrase "Canadian Cup drought" is talking about franchises not individual players. 

I'm obviously aware that they are referring to the franchises, but my point is that the importance of a Canadian team winning the Cup is overblown. If Edmonton had won this year that would've been a big deal for the city of Edmonton, not the entire nation. I'm sure plenty of people living in Nova Scotia were happier to see MacKinnon move on than the Oilers.

13 hours ago, Brass said:

Great news. With a record like what Cassidy has, this has to be a move based on his relationship with the players. The way he’s talked during press conferences and about players doesn’t make that situation not plausible. He’s also failed to have his teams show up at really important times. That, in my humble opinion, falls on the coach.

I was never a huge Butch fan.  Despite his record he was routinely outcoached in the playoffs, he let Berube run all over him in that Final and didn't fire back.

With the veteran core the Bruins have, the leadership came from the locker room - not the coaches office. Cassidy getting fired really cements the fact, in my mind, that both Bergeron and Krecji return next season, and I sense a career year out of Debrusk who couldn't stand the guy.  Now just keep Claude Julien the hell away from New England in the coming months and I'll be happy. 

Now if Neely would just steal Sweeneys phone and delete the nudes or whatever dirt he has on him that's preventing him from being fired the Bruins will be in great shape. 

20 minutes ago, speedy said:

Now if Neely would just steal Sweeneys phone and delete the nudes or whatever dirt he has on him that's preventing him from being fired the Bruins will be in great shape. 

Your first mistake is assuming that Neely isn't the one who wants to keep Sweeney around in the first place lmao

33 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm obviously aware that they are referring to the franchises, but my point is that the importance of a Canadian team winning the Cup is overblown

All due respect: it wasn't obvious. 

Thanks for clarifying what you meant.  

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

54 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Your first mistake is assuming that Neely isn't the one who wants to keep Sweeney around in the first place lmao

It's just so unfathomable I can't even process that.