2022 NFL regular season through Super Bowl LVII

I attended the Bengals-Titans clash in Nashville on Sunday.

Thoughts:

- Bengals won! I'm 2-0 all time when attending road games. The other was week one 2018 when the Bengals upset the Colts. 

- Not to be dramatic, but realistically a loss there would've probably been the end of their season. They'd be 6-5 going into games against KC and Cleveland (who they can't seem to beat) and then at Tampa, at New England, Buffalo, and Baltimore. It's a gauntlet, but being 7-4 gives them way more of a fighting chance. Chasing down the Ravens for the division is not out of the question (thanks, Jaguars!), though neither is missing the playoffs altogether. 

- Joe Burrow is great and everything I hoped for. Keep him safe and he's our guy for the next decade. Watching him without Chase the last 4 games has made this even more clear. 

- Bengals beat the Titans at their own game, which was not surprising to me, but may have been to national pundits. 

- Burrow got sacked 9 times in the playoff game at Tennessee last year. I think he got sacked twice on Sunday. The new o-line is gelling and Burrow has figured out the ways to play behind them. Any Titans fan who expected another sack parade must've been disappointed. 

- I get why they're trying to replace that stadium, but it's not nearly as awful as I was expecting. 

- I was supposed to go to the Blue Jackets - Predators game on Saturday night, but a water main break in the arena on Friday morning flooded everything and the game was cancelled. My dad said, "I've never seen a hockey game get rained out before." Was a bummer, but there's worse places to be when plans get changed - Nashville is a rip-roaring good time.

- Titans fans were a bit more surly than I expected. I guess that's what happens when you actually beat someone in the playoffs. Forgive us, we're new at this whole 'Being Good' thing. When we got to our seats the whole section groaned and booed and I said "Sorry sorry. I'm the best behaved visiting fan you'll ever meet." which is true. I followed that with "I've dealt with too many Steelers in Cincinnati so I know how it feels" and the Titans fans around us all chimed in with how awful Steelers fans are. It's my experience that everyone can agree that Steelers fans are the worst people alive and it can be a useful bonding exercise. 

- Seeing all the Bengals fans down there was a blast. I like being the tiger stripe team. It makes for some fun fan attire. 

• Like 6

PvO6ZWJ.png

Aaron Rodgers speedrunning a "what it means to be a dip💩 in 2022" achievement. There's still time for him to blame everything on the Jews by the end of the year! 

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/former-nfl-qb-claims-aaron-rodgers-pushed-9-11-conspiracy-theories-he-told-me-i-should-read-up-on-them/

• Like 2
  • Hurl 1
  • Yawn 1

The "road fan" thing is weird.  I've been one maybe eight times, and often my expectations don't meet reality...going both ways.  Had some mild ribbing as a Cowboys fan at the Giants and Jets games, but generally friendly.  Atlanta fans were cool.  Saints fans were cool. Tampa fans were surprisingly obnoxious (and this is WAY before their current quasi-success). Houston ?  Well, let's just leave that for another time.  Being the home fan is a strange thing too.  I've been lucky enough to see a ton of Dallas games over the last 20+ years, and it still is really interesting to me how different fanbases act. 

newsig.jpg

On 11/29/2022 at 11:38 AM, IceCap said:

Aaron Rodgers speedrunning a "what it means to be a dip💩 in 2022" achievement. There's still time for him to blame everything on the Jews by the end of the year! 

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/former-nfl-qb-claims-aaron-rodgers-pushed-9-11-conspiracy-theories-he-told-me-i-should-read-up-on-them/

The biggest issue with 9-11 conspiracies is thinking Dubya was competent enough to pull it off.

But seriously, I’m wondering how long Aaron Rodgers shows up at a Kanye concert talking about the evils of (((((((them))))))

• LOL 1

8 hours ago, Red Comet said:

But seriously, I’m wondering how long Aaron Rodgers shows up at a Kanye concert talking about the evils of (((((((them))))))

The law of bat :censored: insane conspiracy theories says "soon"

I don't know if people know this, but Al Michaels is not good anymore.

I was listening to the game because I couldn't safely watch it and, man, he's just kind of reacting out there. Lots of "woah!" and "there he goes" during the course of play without an idea of what's actually happening.

You get a sense of down and distance between plays and that's really about it. Not even enthusiasm for scoring plays; just a perfunctory "and he's in for the score" after the ref blows the whistle.

I don't get why he took the job if he doesn't care anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Out coached. Out matched. Yuck.

However, two silver linings. One, another horrible game for Amazon to have to present. Two, there is a sliver of hope it gets Matt Patricia and Joe Judge fired.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Yeah, I've seen enough at this point. Judge & Patricia need to be thrown in the harbor. 

Belichick needs to stop being so stubborn and get  a real OC. Mac has regressed immeasurably. 

He certainly still has potential, but it's going to be wasted if they don't get someone that can run an offense. 

It just makes it even more baffling how someone like McDaniels can be such a :censored: head coach, yet be such a great offensive coordinator. 

Unless the Jets or Chargers completely collapse, Pats aren't making the playoffs either. Not that I'd really want them to, since that likely means they get massacred by the Chiefs or Bills(again).  

9 hours ago, Brass said:

Out coached. Out matched. Yuck.

However, two silver linings. One, another horrible game for Amazon to have to present. Two, there is a sliver of hope it gets Matt Patricia and Joe Judge fired.

Just curious - what makes that a silver lining? Is it because big bad company paid money to big bad NFL to increase NFL salary cap and force players to play an 'unsafe' Thursday game?

It's where I sit.

Not Brass, but I just don’t like Thursday night games period regardless if it’s Amazon or an inexplicably wealthy Mom and Pop store who paid for the rights. If anything, I think teams should have their bye before the Thursday night game so they aren’t playing 2 games in 5 days in order to downplay the risk of injury. That and I’d prefer football to be the last part of the weekend instead of happening right before the work week ends.

Thanksgiving should be the exception to that IMO but I still think the Lions, Cowboys and whoever else plays should have a bye the Sunday before.

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Not Brass, but I just don’t like Thursday night games period regardless if it’s Amazon or an inexplicably wealthy Mom and Pop store who paid for the rights. If anything, I think teams should have their bye before the Thursday night game so they aren’t playing 2 games in 5 days in order to downplay the risk of injury. That and I’d prefer football to be the last part of the weekend instead of happening right before the work week ends.

Thanksgiving should be the exception to that IMO but I still think the Lions, Cowboys and whoever else plays should have a bye the Sunday before.

Since the players had the opportunity to say no to this, but instead said yes because they realized there was more money to be made, I think the faux outrage is misguided. if the players were really concerned about safety, the money from a 17th game wouldn't have mattered. They weren't. I'm not either. If that makes me a bad guy, oh well.

It's where I sit.

15 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Since the players had the opportunity to say no to this, but instead said yes because they realized there was more money to be made, I think the faux outrage is misguided. if the players were really concerned about safety, the money from a 17th game wouldn't have mattered. They weren't. I'm not either. If that makes me a bad guy, oh well.

A lot of the players who agreed to it were backups and practice squad players and it was still a close run thing. I don’t blame them for exercising their own interests or really anyone for that matter, I just disagree with it and think it’s bad for the long-term future of the game. Doesn’t make you or anyone a bad person if they want more money because I know damn well I’d do the same thing in their position, I just think it’s shortsighted. 

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 4

As great as Bill Belichick has been, him naming Matt Patricia as offensive playcaller and Joe Judge as QB Coach are major coaching blunders on his part.  I don't think Bill will fire Patricia and Judge, more likely re-assign them and get someone with OC experience. It will be interesting to see who he gets.  

12 hours ago, Red Comet said:

A lot of the players who agreed to it were backups and practice squad players and it was still a close run thing. I don’t blame them for exercising their own interests or really anyone for that matter, I just disagree with it and think it’s bad for the long-term future of the game. Doesn’t make you or anyone a bad person if they want more money because I know damn well I’d do the same thing in their position, I just think it’s shortsighted. 

If anything those players are more concerned about player safety more than a star player is. If a star gets injured they get put on the IR and come back the next season. If the practice squad or back up gets injured their career is essentially over.

7 hours ago, dont care said:

If anything those players are more concerned about player safety more than a star player is. If a star gets injured they get put on the IR and come back the next season. If the practice squad or back up gets injured their career is essentially over.

While that much is true, I would counter that by saying that due to the longer season, said players are also more likely to see the field due to the longer season what with the risk of injury going up to the starters in particular. If they can get on the field, their potential for a bigger paycheck goes up quite a bit. 

On 12/1/2022 at 10:15 AM, Red Comet said:
On 11/29/2022 at 12:38 PM, IceCap said:

Expand  

The biggest issue with 9-11 conspiracies is thinking Dubya was competent enough to pull it off.

It's also entirely possible that he was just :censored:-ing with Deshone Kizer to get a reaction. If Rodgers is, in fact, a "9/11 was an inside job" type, I'm 99% positive we would have heard about it before now. It's not like the guy is known for keeping his controversial thoughts to himself.

BB52Big.jpg