NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

22 hours ago, tBBP said:

It kinda sucks too because the Texans currently have one of the best team logos and name/NOB fonts in the league. I really believe that we're about to see all that tossed aside for something more "flavor of the moment" than enduring, which, colors aside, is the aesthetic the Texans currently have. And of course there's the merchandising revenue they can pull in (do doubt aided by the swoosh) by doing that, so... 🤷🏿

I don't dispute the idea of a brand, particularly one that doesn't resonate as it should, completely switching up its color scheme. But I wouldn't characterize the Texans' potential return to Oilers' colors as a "flavor of the moment" trend, at least not in the context of Houston football. 

I'd bet most people see this is a righting of a wrong moreso than jumping on any current trend. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't dispute the idea of a brand, particularly one that doesn't resonate as it should, completely switching up its color scheme. But I wouldn't characterize the Texans' potential return to Oilers' colors as a "flavor of the moment" trend, at least not in the context of Houston football. 

I'd bet most people see this is a righting of a wrong moreso than jumping on any current trend. 

Let me clarify. It wasn't so much the colors I referred to earlier as "flavor of the moment". It was/may be the art style/direction of the team logo, logotype (or script mark, whichever you prefer), and whatever number/NOB font they've cooked up or are still cooking up, along with some uniform design element or two. 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

10 hours ago, Lights Out said:

It's the Titans that are the problem here. Their whole brand from day one has been squatting on the Oilers' colors so Houston can't have them. It'd be a different story if they had kept the Oilers brand, but when they became the Titans, they should have changed the colors more drastically than they did.

I think it's an odd angle to phrase it as "squatting on the Oilers colors" when it was the Oilers organization itself that just incorporated navy blue and silver into their existing color scheme after a couple of seasons in their new home. Sure, the Titans current looks sucks, but that doesn't give the Texans a right to encroach on their brand. The Texans have now had decades to establish something memorable and new on their own, and while they have a great logo, the brand as a whole remains stale. It just feels super desperate and misguided for them to now try and backtrack to tap into this nostalgia.

• Like 5

spacer.png

17 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Even if it was a "flavor of the moment," the Texans as they are now have no flavor at all. 🤷‍♂️

The 90s may have been best known for the teal/purple/neon trend with the likes of the original Marlins, Rockies, Rays, Diamondbacks, Panthers, Jaguars, Raptors, Grizzlies,...

The Texans were among the teams in the next 'wave' where everything was navy, earthtones, dark,... and bland. Patriots rebrand, Texans, Rams rebrand, Seahawks rebrand, Broncos rebrand, D'back AND Rays rebrands, Blue Jackets, Wild, new Jets, Coyotes rebrand, Bucs rebrand, Eagles color shift, Bills first rebrand to the dark shades with gray, etc.

They feel dated, especially as the trend seems to be more primary colors, brighter contrasts and away from the dark era. Rams are bright blue and yellow, Broncos embracing the orange again,  VIkings going a brighter purple... The only one that really bucked the trend were the Titans going with the primarily dark colors while simultaneously embracing the Luv Ya Blue throwback/fauxback Chargers even brought back both the powder blues and the brighter Air Coryell  looks. Bucs haven't switched back the Bucco Bruce look is favorable now than in the past. Pats really going in on the red more than navy/blue as their alternates. Bills are in much brighter colors now.  Seahawks are still meandering along with the eye-bleeding green and the darker tones other times.

But to say Texans have some type of 'classic' look would be to say that the Kansas City Royals going blue away uniform is a 'classic look'. It's just dated, and nostalgia plays a role. Houston went navy/red instead of light blue/light red because of the Titans, not because they prefered that look. Going darker still, with a dirty white and burnt red and navy wouldn't help any.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

But to say Texans have some type of 'classic' look would be to say that the Kansas City Royals going blue away uniform is a 'classic look'. It's just dated, and nostalgia plays a role.

The Texans barely even have anything to be nostalgic about, that's the crazy part. These are glorified catalog-order uniforms for a franchise that's been chronically mediocre.

I don't agree with the Royals comparison. The powder blues bring back memories of George Brett, Bo, the '80 and '85 teams, etc. There's legitimate nostalgia and history there. I would compare the Texans more to the OKC Thunder branding-wise. The Texans have a way better logo, the Thunder have had more team success, but both will still always be in the shadow of the Oilers/Sonics and their more iconic brands.

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

3 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

How about this from @daveindc

My only gripe is the white helmets should be red, and also the point to where I believe the longhorn logo is finished and they need a new logo that looks better. Also how the stripes follow up similar to Seattle's god awful stripes.

1nzMSsH.jpg

Hey, this is mine! Made this when I was in high school, and I've been out of college for years now 🤣. Funny to see it again. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, henburg said:

The Texans have now had decades to establish something memorable and new on their own, and while they have a great logo, the brand as a whole remains stale. It just feels super desperate and misguided for them to now try and backtrack to tap into this nostalgia.

Yet nostalgia is marketable, and it happens that the biggest market for this specific strain of nostalgia happens to be Houston, their own market. So I wouldn't call it desperate or misguided. I think they're finally recognizing it's time to breathe some life into their brand and have undoubtedly witnessed an affinity for powder blue and red from their supporters. 

The Minnesota Wild have done the exact same thing with green and gold and, from what I can tell, it's immensely popular with their fan base. That seems to me as the opposite of desperate and misguided. 

• Like 8

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GBvcKieWUAA76tG?format=jpg&name=large

spacer.pngI would guess this other H Town font they’ve been using is more likely than the Old English one. 

this blue shown in the twitter mock up from @Nestagraphics might be what they go with. Some of the merch they’ve had is darker than Oiler blue and ownership has talked about some hurdles they’ve had with the shade.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

50 minutes ago, JustABallCoach said:

spacer.pngI would guess this other H Town font they’ve been using is more likely than the Old English one. 

this blue shown in the twitter mock up from @Nestagraphics might be what they go with. Some of the merch they’ve had is darker than Oiler blue and ownership has talked about some hurdles they’ve had with the shade.

High-tech Nike yet again struggling to reproduce a color? Wouldn’t surprise me. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

I believe the longhorn logo is finished and they need a new logo that looks better. 

Could not disagree more and think that would be a terrible mistake. You can't improve upon a perfect sports logo. Especially when the replacement logo would be tasked with the difficult rubric of representing the silly and abstract concept of "Texans" while also adding in the extra degree of difficulty in trying to distance itself from and outshine the original (perfect) logo. That's a near impossible target to hit and a rubric that even the original logo didn't have to contend with. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

• Like 11

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 hours ago, JustABallCoach said:

The Texans are going to be stupid and put H-Town on the front of the jersey in giant lettering like the Falcons. I bet they get a black helmet for an alternate with the H-Town script too. It's gonna get stupid.

• Like 3

bSLCtu2.png