NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

"0 allowed on jerseys: With the jersey number rules relaxed in recent years, the Eagles proposed a jersey modification that would allow the No. 0 on jerseys. The NFL allowed this number prior to the merger and the NCAA allowed the No. 0 on teams’ jerseys in 2020."

Rumor is that they're interested in some d-back in the draft that wears #0, so maybe this is in prep, or maybe it's just because there's not enough numbers anymore with everyone taking the good QB numbers.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 minutes ago, BBTV said:

"0 allowed on jerseys: With the jersey number rules relaxed in recent years, the Eagles proposed a jersey modification that would allow the No. 0 on jerseys. The NFL allowed this number prior to the merger and the NCAA allowed the No. 0 on teams’ jerseys in 2020."

Rumor is that they're interested in some d-back in the draft that wears #0, so maybe this is in prep, or maybe it's just because there's not enough numbers anymore with everyone taking the good QB numbers.

All the more reason the league should also allow QBs #s up to 49. Or at least up to 36. Spread the number freedom around...

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Hurl 1
  • Meh 1
  • Dislike 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

15 minutes ago, tBBP said:

All the more reason the league should also allow QBs #s up to 49.

Baker Mayfield was forced into  wearing #17 on the Rams because that was the only number 1-19 available when he was signed. 

NFL may have to dial back who can wear #1-19 or we could see a QB forced into #20+

• Like 3

6uXNWAo.png

33 minutes ago, tBBP said:

All the more reason the league should also allow QBs #s up to 49. Or at least up to 36. Spread the number freedom around...

Maybe it's because of the CFL fan in me and seeing way more relaxed jersey rules, I think the NFL letting more people wear different numbers is fine and not a crazy concept. CFL basically has no numbering rules, besides two criteria for players on the offence.

Eligible receivers will wear numbers from 0-49 and 70-00.

Ineligible receivers will wear numbers from 50-69.

There was a period in the 90s where the Stampeders quarterback was #20 (Flutie) and one the fan favourite receivers was #25.

• Like 4

IbjBaeE.png

54 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Some classic numbers should be reserved for QBs only.  12 should only ever be worn by QBs.  Same with several other legacy numbers.  There was no great reason to implement the change in the first place, but we're seeing the absurdity it creates when there's literally one and only one number available for a QB.  A QB wearing 35 should never be taking a snap and handing off to a RB wearing 7.

I'm honestly not sure what problem the recent number rule changes actually solved, other than to let players act like it's college again, which has lead to all kinds of other amateurish uniform mods.

• Like 9

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BBTV said:

Some classic numbers should be reserved for QBs only.  12 should only ever be worn by QBs.  Same with several other legacy numbers.  There was no great reason to implement the change in the first place, but we're seeing the absurdity it creates when there's literally one and only one number available for a QB.  A QB wearing 35 should never be taking a snap and handing off to a RB wearing 7.

I'm honestly not sure what problem the recent number rule changes actually solved, other than to let players act like it's college again, which has lead to all kinds of other amateurish uniform mods.

Added some flexibility, but yeah where they drew the lines seemed a bit of a partial measure.

Like why not broaden K/P numbers? DL numbers?

Adding 0 at this point is fine, it always looks a little goofy and I’m sure it will vary Team font to Team font. 

5 hours ago, Sport said:

Whoever made this concept is very smart and likely very handsome. 

Would this very smart and likely very handsome concept-maker like to share where another very smart and likely very handsome concept-maker might be able to download the template in .psd format?

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

They will need to tighten up this rule eventually, I think - and I hope.  I'm a Chiefs fan, so I'll use some of these guys as examples.

QBs should be limited to 0-19.  No NFL QB should ever have to wear something higher than #19.

RBs should be limited to 0-9, 20-49.   I love Isiah Pacheco.  But I hate him in #10.

WRs should be limited to 0-19, 80-89.  I like Skyy Moore, but a receiver wearing #24 looks stupid.

DL/LBs should be limited to 40-79, 90-99.  I appreciate what Carlos Dunlap did for the Chiefs this year, but he looked ridiculous wearing #8.  Nick Bolton looked better in #54 than he did in #32.

DBs should be limited to 0-9, 20-49.  No DB needs to wear a number in the teens.  Reserve those numbers for QBs, WRs, Ks, and Ps.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Volt said:

Except what you're referring to as "Anthracite" is not Anthracite.

This is Anthracite:

C9zKcviV0AAHfTc.jpg

This is Dark Steel Grey:
gettyimages-893933624-1.jpg?w=1000&h=600

If you can't tell the difference, here are both used in the same uniform:

DVDfWyjXcAAa4iT?format=jpg&name=900x900

Yea fair enough, I was just referring to anthracite in the general sense as a dark gray, but if you replace “anthracite” with “Dark Steel Gray” in my original post, the general point still stands.

12 hours ago, Volt said:

Patriots are still wearing the standard Silver/Grey.  You are correct in that it is light, which is most evident when the Seahawks wear their full Grey alternates or just Grey pants.  It's probably why Nike developed Dark Steel Grey 8 or so years ago.  I believe Colorado and Oregon were the first to wear it.  Colorado looks amazing when they wear it with their matching helmet.

What's confusing is that Nike sometimes calls Anthracite uniforms Dark Steel Grey, as they did with Pitt recently; the uniforms are obviously Anthracite, but because Pittsburgh was the "Steel City", I guess that didn't work as well for marketing.

I think it might’ve been in Madden where there was a noticeable difference between the two, but looking at more pictures, yea it’s probably the same “Wolf Gray” that other teams are wearing.

9 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Something kinda similar to keep in mind:

16780408.jpeg

Note the flat finish helmet.

Let’s hope not.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvEIYUfOhVUDLkfzB3szX

pittsburgh-steelers-qb-bobby-layne-in-ac

0ce309b7445d8bf1a15df2a9a9af1aba.jpg

I'm trying to see this again. Bump what y'all talkin' bout—I'm trying to see them 20s and then 30s come back. It's time.  Let's make it happen. (And yes I will pop the brakes on this hill.)

And if you wanna see some more of them 20s and them 30s slinging the rock, click here

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

23 minutes ago, tBBP said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvEIYUfOhVUDLkfzB3szX

pittsburgh-steelers-qb-bobby-layne-in-ac

0ce309b7445d8bf1a15df2a9a9af1aba.jpg

I'm trying to see this again. Bump what y'all talkin' bout—I'm trying to see them 20s and then 30s come back. It's time.  Let's make it happen. (And yes I will pop the brakes on this hill.)

And if you wanna see some more of them 20s and them 30s slinging the rock, click here

Sir, this is a Wendy’s.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Yawn 1

6 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Maybe it's because of the CFL fan in me and seeing way more relaxed jersey rules, I think the NFL letting more people wear different numbers is fine and not a crazy concept. CFL basically has no numbering rules, besides two criteria for players on the offence.

There was a period in the 90s where the Stampeders quarterback was #20 (Flutie) and one the fan favourite receivers was #25.

Ronnie Lancaster has his number (#23) retired and he was QB. I agree I see no issue with it. Along with the potential jersey ads, its fun to watch everyone panic over changes that will be seen as normal in a decade

• Dislike 1
  • Sad 1

yUTIIqk.png

9 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The fact that the Lions describe their last uniform update to be subtle and say this next one will be more significant is a very very very very bad omen.

Be afraid. 

As long as you have a fence or wall to block them, it should be okay.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Volt said:

Would this very smart and likely very handsome concept-maker like to share where another very smart and likely very handsome concept-maker might be able to download the template in .psd format?

It’s an ai file. I’ll look and see if I still have it. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

22 hours ago, Volt said:

While I'm on a heater here, can we talk about how insane it is that New Orleans hasn't updated their uniforms to have the Color Rush Gold made into their primary Gold, and why a White helmet to go with their CR White uniforms isn't the alternate instead of the horrific Black helmet they unveiled last year?

FiCen8kWYAIgc_5?format=jpg&name=small

Fp51gmzWYAIWaz7?format=jpg&name=small

Shout out to The Graphic God on Twitter who does these quality mock-ups.

Also, here's support for the argument that the NFL should allow Black helmet hardware & chinstraps:

new-orleans-saints-riddell-lunar-alterna

These sets are so good as long as they used striped socks.  The white helmet does look nice too!  Additionally, I would like to see the fleur-de-lis increased in size...just a bit. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Est1980 said:

These sets are so good as long as they used striped socks.  The white helmet does look nice too!  Additionally, I would like to see the fleur-de-lis increased in size...just a bit. 

I appreciate that the artist made the fleur-de-lis match the number font, but it does look odd, and removing an outline does make it look smaller.   Perhaps they should use this version if they ever use a White helmet:

lkjc8rhvanu5b882wn0w.jpg

The additional thick Black border keeps the original logo intact, and on a White helmet, the White outline wouldn't be lost next to the helmet, and it gives the logo back its weight.  I'd have to see it in real life to determine if it truly works, but it's a thought.

Check that:  it's what the Saints do when they use their logo on White, so that's what they'd have to do on a helmet, which looks great:

mens-nike-white-new-orleans-saints-sidel

On 3/1/2023 at 9:00 AM, Volt said:

While I'm on a heater here, can we talk about how insane it is that New Orleans hasn't updated their uniforms to have the Color Rush Gold made into their primary Gold, and why a White helmet to go with their CR White uniforms isn't the alternate

All they had to do was flip the helmet stripes from the primary helmet, but they copied the Seahawks instead. 

18 hours ago, Sport said:

Whoever made this concept is very smart and likely very handsome. 

That uniform should never be touched again.

Photos: Browns Uniforms Through the Years

If Cleveland is going with white helmets, they need to do something other than simply wearing a blank helmet.

Adidas Unveils 1939 Throwback for Texas A&M, Complete with Leather-Like  Helmets | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Going with this idea, but using pictures from  the early years of the team could add something to this other than just wearing a flipped stripe pattern or brown helmets that do that. Instead, copy these helmets and hydro dip them to have those vent holes as part of the design, and shadowing on the front where that ridge is. 

Cleveland Browns To Wear Alternate Uniform In 2021 For 75th Anniversary –  SportsLogos.Net News

Leather Composite Football Helmet MacGregor U.S.A. Model H612 - c. 1950

Leather Composite Football Helmet MacGregor U.S.A. Model H612 - c. 1950 |  eBay

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png