NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

1 hour ago, hormone said:

Do you think the browns just may be doing an alternate helmet with numbers on the side again? I think any departure from an orange helmet will be too much of a culture shock. Their helmet logo is no logo and their graphics usually is the helmet. I mean how many people actually know they wore a white helmet? I can see them reviving their throwbacks cause the bengals had to revive their old color rush to use their white helmet. I don’t see so much a brown helmet, but who knows. Maybe they go brown with an orange grill.  The nfl made this helmet rule weird.  I think the saints and panthers both wanted a blackout, one got it and the other got a Franken-throwback 

If the Bears can wear orange helmets, nothing is off limits. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

If the Bears can wear orange helmets, nothing is off limits. 

I do not disagree, I guess the point I was trying to make was aside from the elf showing up at midfield this year, an orange helmet is what they’re known for on the field and on a graphic. The bears can use the bear face, the wishbone c and flip colors of the c on graphics or merchandise. 

• Like 1
KISSwall09.jpg

23 hours ago, hormone said:

I do not disagree, I guess the point I was trying to make was aside from the elf showing up at midfield this year, an orange helmet is what they’re known for on the field and on a graphic. The bears can use the bear face, the wishbone c and flip colors of the c on graphics or merchandise. 

Yeah I imagine it’ll just be the number helmet look.

I guess the biggest departure I could see would be them doing sorta the white tiger look the bengals did. Just white and brown.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

Icy white, here we go!

The article, via an Internet archive, makes it sound like the alternate helmet will go with the gray color rush (which IMO other than the all-white option is the worst uniform in the current set.)

https://archive.ph/DzSi9

For now, alternate helmets can be worn only with alternate uniforms, which for the Lions are their gray jerseys and pants.

Not sure if that is accurate or not. Beat writers often get these details wrong.

• Huh? 1

3 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/2/28/23618288/new-detroit-lions-uniforms-not-coming-until-2024

The Lions aren't switching until 2024 and now we have confirmation of an alternate helmet this year sadly.

If it’s an inverse of their current helmet, it’ll look good. But a full new set of uniforms? Yeah that can’t be good. Their current set is great other than the plain white pants.

• Like 6

Not sure how I feel about the Lions changing their uniforms. Their current set still feels new, and it was already an upgrade over the previous one. Really if they'd just remove the logo and initials from the sleeves and clean up the font they would have a uniform that'd have staying power. I can very easily see this change being a downgrade, I really don't understand why they feel the need to scrap their current set already.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, projectjohn said:

The article, via an Internet archive, makes it sound like the alternate helmet will go with the gray color rush (which IMO other than the all-white option is the worst uniform in the current set.)

https://archive.ph/DzSi9

Not sure if that is accurate or not. Beat writers often get these details wrong.

Alternate helmets are supposed to go with alternate uniforms, but the Panthers managed to use their home blacks with it by designating all-black our "Color Rush" alternate and wearing black helmets with that. I could see the Lions doing something similar with either their all-white or all-blue uniforms.

• Like 5

the user formerly known as cdclt

There's this interesting quote about the Lions alternate helmet.

“You maybe have three helmets because you have the (standard silver), then you take the logos off for the throwback, then we’ll have (the new helmet) for the grays,” Wood said. “Then, in 2024, we might have some additional uniforms, alternate, that we can wear with it.”

Sounds to me like this alternate could be their helmet for 2024 or it could easily fit into the uniforms for then.

By the way one of this site's very own dropped some interesting news.

Here comes the long awaited Browns white helmet and Elway throwback??

• Like 3

bSLCtu2.png

I'm preparing for a white helmet with chrome decals because there's no silver on the color rush uniforms (so a white helmet in a way matches the uniform better), but a blue or darker gray helmet would be better in general.

50bf5efc-45e1-49d3-9627-77d6c9e5612d-SI_ 

In reality, this is a needless thing to do in the first place and I have zero faith in the Lions or Nike's creative teams to pull off an "interesting" direction well.

• Like 9

“We’re not going to the Portsmouth colors,” Wood said. “No, it’ll still be within the blues and the grays. I think it’s too early to say exactly, but I would describe it at least initially as probably being more change than the last time we did it, ‘cause I think those were more subtle changes.

Looks like a switch from silver to dark grey in 2024 and that'd be absolutely awful. We're :censored:ed.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

Looks like a switch from silver to dark grey in 2024 and that'd be absolutely awful.

Let us all hope beyond hope that they don't even try (or that they haven't been trying behind closed doors) to pull off a Honolulu Blue and anthracite colorway in their next branding life...

...The colorway itself isn't bad; it just ain't right for the Lions

• Like 13

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Lions losing the silver would be a shame, almost like a full a concession to Nike not putting in the work to bring back metallics.

Hope the alt is just a color flipped helmet HBlue, silver stripes and silver lion, since they are doing it.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, GFB said:

50bf5efc-45e1-49d3-9627-77d6c9e5612d-SI_ 

This is gonna be a hot take, but judging by this picture, switching to the ‘anthracite’ wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

That’s not to say that I’d endorse it, I just think Nike’s silver that the Seahawks & Panthers wear, for example, has gotten way too light, to the point where it almost looks white. (Correct me if I’m wrong, but it looked to me like the Patriots’ new silver pants were a shade or two darker than the Brady era ones. Those were a nice shade.)

Don’t get me wrong, the anthracite has the opposite problem of being a bit too dark, but at least it’d be unmistakably gray. This is all assuming they don’t do something stupid like go with a matte-finish gray helmet, of course.

Overall, I can’t say I’m optimistic about a Lions redesign. I really think they’re just 1) a white outline on the home uniform, 2) dropping the white pants, & 3) changing anthracite to regular silver, away from having a pretty perfect set. I don’t see them going straight throwback, so another full redesign is pretty concerning.

• Like 8