NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

The Jets are in a really interesting situation with their branding and what they should do going forward. Their current set is painfully mediocre and should be changed when they get the chance. The helmets are fine, but the ugly shoulder stripe reeks of the 2010's Nike disasterclass uniform rebrands. The BFBS is probably the worst BFBS set in the league since the shade of green they use isn't bright enough to actually contrast against the black, and instead it creates a horribly muddled look. 

In a vacuum, I'd say the Jets should revert back to a set inspired by their 1978-1989 look. I don't think there is any need for black in their branding. They've done it before, both in this historical example and also in their last set (albeit with a darker shade of green), and they pulled it off quite well. I'd also argue that it would preemptively differentiate them from the Eagles should they ever decide to return to a Kelly Green era-inspired set, although given their current success with the midnight green, I'm not convinced they would beyond their planned throwbacks.

Also, regardless of the uniforms, the Jets need to return to their classic logo as well. It was subtle yet clearly invoked the jet imagery they were going for. The current logo is an ugly oval. If it's supposed to be football-shaped...then why have another football IN the logo that tramples over the font?? No iteration of this logo has been very good, and it's time to let it die. 

• Like 17

47 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

The Jets are in a really interesting situation with their branding and what they should do going forward. Their current set is painfully mediocre and should be changed when they get the chance. The helmets are fine, but the ugly shoulder stripe reeks of the 2010's Nike disasterclass uniform rebrands. The BFBS is probably the worst BFBS set in the league since the shade of green they use isn't bright enough to actually contrast against the black, and instead it creates a horribly muddled look. 

In a vacuum, I'd say the Jets should revert back to a set inspired by their 1978-1989 look. I don't think there is any need for black in their branding. They've done it before, both in this historical example and also in their last set (albeit with a darker shade of green), and they pulled it off quite well. I'd also argue that it would preemptively differentiate them from the Eagles should they ever decide to return to a Kelly Green era-inspired set, although given their current success with the midnight green, I'm not convinced they would beyond their planned throwbacks.

Also, regardless of the uniforms, the Jets need to return to their classic logo as well. It was subtle yet clearly invoked the jet imagery they were going for. The current logo is an ugly oval. If it's supposed to be football-shaped...then why have another football IN the logo that tramples over the font?? No iteration of this logo has been very good, and it's time to let it die. 

The really blew it not using the logo with the actual jet in it. They had us all fooled in 2019 thinking it was coming lol 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, flyersfan said:

could be over analyzing but towards the end feels like they are really leaning into a red based look, and with the press conference helmet selection? 

Don't sweat the overanalyzing, bruh...that's what we do around here! I know I'm one of the worst ones about it.

Someone should capture some screenshots of some of those concepts...some of them looked not half-bad. (I ain't on Twitter so I can't download the video...)

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

A LOT of concepts with the horns on the helmet. Sure some of these are probably first page of Google searches, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are teasing the elements they are borrowing from these "concepts"

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BigDmo said:

A LOT of concepts with the horns on the helmet. Sure some of these are probably first page of Google searches, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are teasing the elements they are borrowing from these "concepts"

The horns definitely seemed prevalent.

Though that’s up there for most done thing with integrating the Arizona flag into concepts for the Cardinals.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, PERRIN said:

I'm not a fan of any horned helmet concept for the Texans. Their logo is too good to not use on the helmet. Hoping they just stick with their red helmets for their incoming redesign.

I can say from browsing some Houston sports forums, the horns on helmet is a close top mention behind luv ya blue and Oilers name return.  I agree the logo is too good to not use, though i admit the logo looks best with white background imo, but i don't want white helmets. (more on that below)

I could live with horns if it is tastefully done.  I don't even like the Eagles wings on their helmet. I think it's cartoony and tacky and outdated. I want them to go back to the kelly green with the silver wings with white outline which looks more professional to me vs the graphic wings with the bold outline and shading. Even the white helmet with kelly green wings.

I do like the Rams horns of course. I've seen some Titans concepts with the the flames of their logo large on the helmet from front to rear which looked good, but most Texans horn concepts haven't caught my eye.

I believe you would have to redesign the logo entirely for horns that lend themselves to that use on a football helmet. As they are, they don't work. 

As for the new Texans direction, I'm mostly on board with a red helmet given we stick with deep steel blue for primary and just find a way to use the columbia blue for alternates? New color rush rule, or maybe they make an exception? Not sure how it works, but some say it's not allowed and yet ownership is really pushing it. (For those who hate the 'H-Town' nickname, both Cal and his wife Hannah are non stop saying "H-Town" and throwing up the 'H' with their hands. They're really pushing for a more youth/street/urban connection with the team which might give an indication of what they want in the uniforms. I think they missed the memo that the youth just wants BFBS. )

My issue with the Battle Red helmet is the use of metallic red and not enough color separation. One way i've seen that helps a red helmet uses a color redesign of the logo. It still makes sense to the Texas flag, but i think really works with the red helmet and a solid deep steel blue center stripe like this logo concept done by Kyle Waters https://www.behance.net/gallery/104224679/NFL-ALTERNATE-HELMETS

Not sure about the red facemask, though.  

I think the logo looks really good done this way.

21 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

(For those who hate the 'H-Town' nickname, both Cal and his wife Hannah are non stop saying "H-Town" and throwing up the 'H' with their hands.

[MOD EDIT]

Edited by officeglenn
  • Like 1
  • WOAH 2
  • Dislike 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 2/8/2023 at 4:26 PM, ~Bear said:

This is the worst version of the "football in football" logo for being the most visually bland. They won't let it die since it's the logo that represents their greatest achievement. Not just their lone Super Bowl but their overall playoff accomplishments, as limited as they are. 

Whether they bring back the Namath or New York Sack Exchange era, I just need a change because last season was terrible. They wore green ONCE and it was mono on top of that. Even their endzones were black majority of the season. Green felt like an afterthought. That's a branding disaster to have your primary color seem less important. We went through all that trouble of fixing the damn color and they don't even wear it. BFBS needs to leave the Jets for good. It represents nothing but the lowest times of this already sorry franchise. 

• Like 3

XM4KeeA.png

On 2/11/2023 at 11:30 AM, flyersfan said:

could be over analyzing but towards the end feels like they are really leaning into a red based look, and with the press conference helmet selection? 

This has got to be the biggest promotion of uniform concepts by a professional team that we’ve seen, no? That’s pretty cool for the designers.

I don’t think any of the design choices, such as the horns on the helmet, will factor much into the actual redesign. Like @BigDmo said, most of them were likely first page Google searches. Plus, the social media team & the group actually designing the uniforms are two completely different entities.

One exception to that, however: I did find it interesting that some of the designs did include the “Luv Ya Blue.” They at least seem to be leaving that open as a possibility, as if it wasn’t, they likely would have stuck to concepts only pairing the red with navy.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2023 at 4:26 PM, ~Bear said:

2000's uniforms with current "Gotham Green" Call it a day.

• Like 4

Lost in all the commotion of yesterday was a debut of a new Fox score bug. Love the font for the score, and the focus on team color/logos. Hope they keep the same style for college games too. Overall solid and not too gimmicky.

• Like 1

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

2 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

Lost in all the commotion of yesterday was a debut of a new Fox score bug. Love the font for the score, and the focus on team color/logos. Hope they keep the same style for college games too. Overall solid and not too gimmicky.

Not lost.  Being discussed here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

From a reliable collectible site that has never let me down in the past:

Placeholders for "2023 Alternate helmets" are Broncos, Browns, Colts, Eagles, Lions. Maybe more to come (such as Seahawks and Bucs).  Have to assume Eagles is the throwback but no mention of that in the description.  Hoping the Broncos is the throwback and not a white or orange option. 

Mods can DM me to validate; just don't want to get this seller/company in trouble. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.