2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

If the stadium series had proposed at least one good looking jersey, maybe i'd be taken seriously. But so far, not one single jersey can be considered good looking ( Yes i know the Flyers use their more recent one as an alternate, but it doesn't mean it looks good)

15 hours ago, pepis21 said:

We still didn't see an unused sweater for this logo, right?

The original slate of Stadium Series uniforms all used basically the same template, so we can probably take a good guess as to what it was gonna look like. I'd think it was similar to the Kings design with red instead of grey & green instead of black.

spacer.png

9 hours ago, ruttep said:

The original point of outdoor games is to celebrate hockey's origins, where games took place on frozen ponds. There's a heavy traditional feel to outdoor games, and throwbacks/fauxbacks translate perfectly to that vibe. When the Stadium Series introduces brash, loud, futuristic designs, it seems to run counter to the original purpose of playing games outdoors. 

It seems like the initial idea for the Stadium Series (aside from recouping revenue that was lost in the 12-13 lockout) was to have outdoor games in some less traditional markets. Since then, the lines have been a bit blurred a bit since teams like Vegas, Dallas, and Nashville have gotten included in the Winter Classic, so it does feel like they aren't always sure what direction to take the Stadium Series anymore.

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The original slate of Stadium Series uniforms all used basically the same template, so we can probably take a good guess as to what it was gonna look like. I'd think it was similar to the Kings design with red instead of grey & green instead of black.

spacer.png

It seems like the initial idea for the Stadium Series (aside from recouping revenue that was lost in the 12-13 lockout) was to have outdoor games in some less traditional markets. Since then, the lines have been a bit blurred a bit since teams like Vegas, Dallas, and Nashville have gotten included in the Winter Classic, so it does feel like they aren't always sure what direction to take the Stadium Series anymore.

Solely in terms of jersey design, I've seen both events as a what-if type deal. Recently the Winter Classic has become a bit of "What would a _____ jersey look like if it was from the past?" whereas the Stadium Series is more of a "What would a futuristic _______ jersey look like?". This is really the way I interpreted them as a bit of an outsider. I'm also not sure how much the league is going to prioritize sticking to classic markets if there is already a surplus of classic Bruins and Blackhawks jerseys.  If it turns out that teams like the Kraken and Stars show themselves as more profitable markets for the Winter Classic, then I'm sure they'll lean that way. I imagine that they can still build a game that seems retro and classic without using classic franchises.

Also, for the sake of fresh ideas, I'd almost like to see classic franchises get the futuristic jerseys and newer franchises get the classic ones. I think a good way to breed new ideas in these special event games is to apply experimental and unconventional design to more traditional franchises and apply a retro touch to teams with newer/modern identities. I totally get opposing opinions though, as this idea almost directly contradicts the initial idea behind these games.

• Like 1

Because then it wouldn't clash or read against the three giant letters? The NOB is single color and the number is 2-color drop shadow, so the effect is mirrored on the front and back.

• Like 7

Add a thick black outline to the numbers and a orange/white color swap to wear at home and that's what the Flyers should wear full-time forever.

The Rangers stadium series is much better than their new navy alternate.

Speaking of navy, I hate it for the Islanders. Even this same design in royal blue would've been much better. But still not great.

The Devils jersey is fine for this purpose. Works well here but glad we won't see it again.

The dumbest thing about the stadium series jerseys to me is this: They make the numbers huge to be able to be seen from far away - but then make the contrast horrendous. The Devils, Flyers, and Islanders have horrible contrast between jerseys and numbers. Alll of them are much worse in that regard than their primary uniforms. The Hurricanes were the same last year. There are definitely more that I'm missing that have used ghost numbers for a stadium game. Pick a lane.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

EA Sports has given us the first look at the full ASG uniforms.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'd have preferred black pants for the red & blue uniforms

Nice to see they're continuing the 3 stripes, 90s-esque stars motif for the pants. I mean, why fix it when you can embrace it?

8 hours ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

Captain's patch on the Rangers Stadium Series jersey looks bizarre. Why didn't they make it dropshadow??

Such a great sweater.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Hurl 1
  • Facepalm 1

Rangers05.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rangers, Devils, and Flyers helmet/pants/socks for the Stadium Series according to nhluniforms.com. They haven't posted any gear for the Islanders yet. I know the Flyers revealed the full uniform in their initial announcement, but did I miss the Rangers and Devils doing the same?

8 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Rangers05.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rangers, Devils, and Flyers helmet/pants/socks for the Stadium Series according to nhluniforms.com. They haven't posted any gear for the Islanders yet. I know the Flyers revealed the full uniform in their initial announcement, but did I miss the Rangers and Devils doing the same?

The Devils uniform is based on an image put out by Adidas. The Rangers' accessories are an educated guess on my part. And I have no information on the Islanders as of yet. Remember, my site is not official; like you, I'm merely a common fan with no inside information.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, AndrewG70 said:

The Devils uniform is based on an image put out by Adidas. The Rangers' accessories are an educated guess on my part. And I have no information on the Islanders as of yet. Remember, my site is not official; like you, I'm merely a common fan with no inside information.

Thanks for the info. By the way, love the site, thanks so much for maintaining it!

10 hours ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

They haven't posted any gear for the Islanders yet

There are no pants for the Islanders.  They're just gonna Donald Duck it.  Hope it isn't too chilly out.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6

12 hours ago, AndrewG70 said:

The NHL is selling this merch which seems to confirm the Devils & Rangers helmets. I couldn't find any Islanders shirts with this design.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

the breezers and helmet thing may be where lou does his lou thing and they just do something traditional.

i'm an islanders die-hard, and i get where we sort of stack up in terms of legacy franchises and national attention, so it's really disappointing to see the half-assed effort both stadium series designs have gotten. it's probably the closest thing we'll get to a winter classic, and the uniforms are always abysmal. unbelievable that this franchise just can't hit on an alternate jersey.

• Like 2

sig2024.png

21 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

EA Sports has given us the first look at the full ASG uniforms.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'd have preferred black pants for the red & blue uniforms

Oh, come on. They have to be intentionally screwing with us at this point. Why wouldn't they simply take the sleeve striping and put it on the socks? The inconsistency is killing me!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Brian E said:

the breezers and helmet thing may be where lou does his lou thing and they just do something traditional.

i'm an islanders die-hard, and i get where we sort of stack up in terms of legacy franchises and national attention, so it's really disappointing to see the half-assed effort both stadium series designs have gotten. it's probably the closest thing we'll get to a winter classic, and the uniforms are always abysmal. unbelievable that this franchise just can't hit on an alternate jersey.

For the Islanders I'd be shocked to see anything other than nondescript navy helmet, pants, and gloves. Helmet should have big Islanders logo in navy on one side, and the player number on the other.

The more I look at these SS jerseys, the more I feel like all four of them missed the mark, but the Rangers' missed it by the smallest amount followed shortly thereafter by the Devils'.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)