Pepsi changing their logo (again)

Pharos04

On 3/29/2023 at 11:18 AM, gosioux76 said:

A little side story.

I have a sister-in-law who is convinced aspartame is pronounced "aspart-a-mee" instead of the correct pronunciation of "ass-per-tame." So whenever I'm around her, I like to refer to the "Great Apartame, the Greek God of artificial sweeteners." 

You'd think it'd be Spartan, not Greek.  I'll show myself out.

Ass-part-Tammy signing off.

5 hours ago, IceCap said:

Despite using the same artificial sweetener they taste differently. Usually the ZERO stuff tastes closer to the regular version while Diet is a bit more of its own thing.

It started with Diet Coke. Diet Coke is actually the no calorie version of New Coke. New Coke died but Diet Coke stayed. Coke Zero is the no calorie version of Coca-Cola.

For Coke it makes more sense.

Diet Pepsi has always tried to emulate Pepsi.

Pepsi Zero Sugar does but has a different flavor profile, and does try to come closer to Pepsi.

I still like Diet Pepsi more.

5 hours ago, IceCap said:

Despite using the same artificial sweetener they taste differently. Usually the ZERO stuff tastes closer to the regular version while Diet is a bit more of its own thing.

It started with Diet Coke. Diet Coke is actually the no calorie version of New Coke. New Coke died but Diet Coke stayed. Coke Zero is the no calorie version of Coca-Cola.

That's an interesting historical quirk, and explains a lot.

• Like 2

spacer.png

1 hour ago, burgundy said:

That's an interesting historical quirk, and explains a lot.

Yeah, Coke Zero's original pitch was zero calorie but closer to Coca-Cola Classic's taste. Diet Coke's difference in flavour isn't down to just using artificial sweetener, it's actually a totally different  thing.

With Pepsi it's harder to figure out since as @BadSeed84 points out Diet Pepsi has always just been the no calorie version of Pepsi. My best guess is that Pepsi saw Coke succeed with both Diet Coke and Coke Zero and figured if Coke could double up on diet cola so could they. So they just tweaked Diet Pepsi a bit and called it "Pepsi Zero"

• Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 6:31 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Speaking of companies that modernized their logos

spacer.png

I didnt know bp brought the Amoco brand back. My mom worked for Amoco/bp for 20 years so we always had tons of Amoco gear around the house

As far as the modernization of this logo....ehhhhhh. The gradients are very unnecessary.

Back on the original topic. I think the new pepsi logo is an improvement in that it brings back the style of logo that most people associate with the brand while trying to capitalize on the 80's nostalgia that is going on with many brands. The black works for me as it makes the wordmark stand out and catch your eye when walking past it on a shelf.

It's legitimately ugly. Firstly, we need BFBS....why? Pepsi hasn't used black in their logo going on 3 generations. Now, it's arguably the most prominent color in the logo. Also, because it hasn't been posted yet here on its own, here's a good look at the HIDEOUS black outline they slapped on:

spacer.png

It sucks. It's not as bad as the outline on this Pepsi logo, so congrats on clearing the bar that was laying on the floor. That doesn't mean this outline isn't bad. None of this even mentions the horrid font they decided on. It's like they wanted to continue the diagonal motif of the last logo somehow and then slapped it into sharp angles in the "P"s and "S" where it doesn't fit at all. 

I think what is disappointing this update, too, is that they could've just straight up restored an old logo, and it would've been much, much better. And yes, Pepsi needed a better logo, but nothing about this logo says "Pepsi" other than it being a circle with some wavy red and blue blobs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Am I the only one who really likes the rebrand? Font and all? It feels like a fitting, modern update with a throwback-y touch.

I'm not a huge fan of the typeface or the black outline, and the red and blue segments of the wave ball could be a bit more prominent, but those are all the issues I see with it. I don't dislike it, and it's definitely a major upgrade, but I feel like there are some pretty simple fixes and ideas that could make it a lot better. It's a solid look, but when designing a rebrand for one of the most recognizable products in the world, anything other than spectacular is a bit of a disappointment.

• Like 4

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

On 3/29/2023 at 12:16 PM, gosioux76 said:

This logo is so recognizable that it really doesn't need the word Pepsi in it. 

Easy to draw too. I tried sketching the Pepsi logo from my own memory for the first time in forever and I still got it accurately.

The 2008 logo? Never mastered sketching it from memory. Not even once. Always needed to grab a PNG from Google search just to sketch it.

On 3/29/2023 at 1:18 PM, gosioux76 said:

A little side story.

I have a sister-in-law who is convinced aspartame is pronounced "aspart-a-mee" instead of the correct pronunciation of "ass-per-tame." So whenever I'm around her, I like to refer to the "Great Apartame, the Greek God of artificial sweeteners." 

He battles against Dee-obba-tees!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/31/2023 at 1:13 PM, DTConcepts said:

Am I the only one who really likes the rebrand? Font and all? It feels like a fitting, modern update with a throwback-y touch.

I adore it. I've read every post in this thread and really don't understand the hate. The "I" isn't great. Otherwise it's solid. People will always complain.

• Like 2