Pepsi changing their logo (again)

Pharos04

Upgrade, I think?

I'm glad they went back to the wavy ball in its usual form, but going with BFBS is a shame.  The font choice is very bland.

• Like 14
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 minute ago, CS85 said:

I'm glad they went back to the wavy ball in its usual form, but going with BFBS is a shame.  The font choice is very bland.

In fairness, the current Zero Sugar can has been black for a while. 

I like this redesign! It's a nice combination of their 1965-69 and 1971-1991 logos. Personally, though, I think the really bold move would have been to rebrand the product back to "Brad's Drink."

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

I was hoping for them to follow the good example of Burger King, and just go back to the best-known logo.  But if this is as close as we are going to get to the real Pepsi logo, then I guess it'll have to do.  It's definitely an improvement over what came before.  Still, the flaws in the font would be so much less irritating if the lettering were in blue instead of black.

• Like 5

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Unpopular opinion: I like the current Pepsi brand. I don't prefer the 'smile' over the wave but I like the brighter blue and the overall clean look of it all.

New logo is alright, but the black text and outline around is a bit much. It fits better on the Zero can than it does on the regular - and that was a deliberate choice:

“We think that the non-sugar segment of colas will continue to grow very fast in this country. We’re seeing consumers pivoting,” Laguarta said, noting that zero had already been a “strategic” product in Europe and elsewhere.

To that end, “zero sugar is going to be the protagonist of our communication strategy,” Porcini told CNN.

To highlight the zero line, the new logo uses black font and a black border, a nod to Pepsi Zero’s black can and label.

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The font choice is... well, a choice.  One that I wouldn't have made.  The Ps and I are really awkward looking, and there really needs to be more whitespace in the wave.  I know that it's similar to the whitespace in previous versions of the logo, but this doesn't seem to be either classic or contemporary.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I was hoping for them to follow the good example of Burger King, and just go back to the best-known logo.  But if this is as close as we are going to get to the real Pepsi logo, then I guess it'll have to do.  It's definitely an improvement over what came before.  Still, the flaws in the font would be so much less irritating if the lettering were in blue instead of black.

Burger King didn't go back to their old logo either, but they did a much better job of making it feel like they went back to the old logo. The font in the new Pepsi logo is just so obviously wrong, and the black looks out of place.

• Like 5

spacer.png

45 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Burger King didn't go back to their old logo either, but they did a much better job of making it feel like they went back to the old logo.

Wow, thanks for pointing that out!

Burger King logo evolution

So Burger King sort of pulled a Blue Jays / Phillies manoeuvre, bringing out a new logo that feels like a natural update of the original logo.  I try to pay attention to these things, and I didn't notice the difference.   I was just so happy to have a logo update that had no downside to it, as so many of them have some good stuff and some bad stuff.

45 minutes ago, burgundy said:

The font in the new Pepsi logo is just so obviously wrong, and the black looks out of place.

Yes.  I think the bigger misstep is the font colour.  But that's not to say that I like the font itself!

• Like 7

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, burgundy said:

Burger King didn't go back to their old logo either, but they did a much better job of making it feel like they went back to the old logo. The font in the new Pepsi logo is just so obviously wrong, and the black looks out of place.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Burger King logo evolution

So Burger King sort of pulled a Blue Jays / Phillies manoeuvre, bringing out a new logo that feels like a natural update of the original logo. 

Actually the new Burger King logo more closely resembles the 1994 logo that updated the 1968 logo.

200px-Burger_King_1969_logo.svg.png200px-Burger_King_1994_logo.svg.png150px-Burger_King_2020.svg.png

1969-99                                                                      1994-99                                      2020-pre

As for the Pepsi change, the colors seem too dark for me. I do like that the better globe returned though. The font seems off to me to.

• Like 4

Signature intentionally left blank

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Actually the new Burger King logo more closely resembles the 1994 logo that updated the 1968 logo.

200px-Burger_King_1969_logo.svg.png200px-Burger_King_1994_logo.svg.png150px-Burger_King_2020.svg.png

1969-99                                                                      1994-99                                      2020-pre

As for the Pepsi change, the colors seem too dark for me. I do like that the better globe returned though. The font seems off to me to.

Either way, I liked what BK has done in recent years.

The 1999 BK logo I liked when it was used to sponsor sporting events on Fox.

Getting back to Pepsi, I kinda like that they're going back to the old globe.

Pepsi has always had a bit of an identity crisis for the last 40+ years. Ever since they dropped that beautiful script, they've struggled to find a good consistent combination of bottle cap / yin-yang / smile and name. Sometimes the name was inside the ballmark, other times on top of it, most recently next to it. And they've always tried to use trendy fonts. This version comes back a bit full-circle since the late 60s version, including the use of black for the name.

Is it great? No, but it's a much needed improvement for keep the brand consistent across all varieties. Coca-Cola got it right with their recent branding, and Pepsi was always playing catch-up to match a strong brand.

Doesn't make it taste better, though.

• Like 2

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016