2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

40 minutes ago, tBBP said:

For what I have to say about it, their entire identity, save for the typeface of their *primary* uniforms, is about as forgettable as it gets. That said, those 2023 city sets are probably a decent base to build from—or would be if either the Nuggets organization or the NBA/Nike cared anything about building/preserving brand equity.

Anyway, I've never really paid much mind to the City sets to know what was going on with them, so I went back and looked again at their "story" and, well...

Reveal hidden contents

The Denver Nuggets 22-23 City Edition uniform is inspired by our hometown of Denver which continues to evolve and change: a city proud of its past but always driving forward. This uniform derives its design from the city’s iconic architecture including Union Station. The Nuggets will dedicate this season’s City Edition uniform to recognize civic organizations that contribute to making our city an even better place to call home.

Elements of Union Station are embodied in this season’s City Edition uniform. “Denver” displayed on the chest, represents the iconic “Union Station” font and arc. The uniform color of pure platinum and unique burgundy side trim on the jersey and shorts is inspired by the color and design of Union Station’s stonework. Lastly, the strings of lights that adorn many restaurants and streets in our fair city are reflected in the burgundy trim that includes gold dots on the collar and arm trim of the jersey. 

This season, every time the Nuggets wear their 2022-23 City Edition uniform, Kroenke Sports Charities Signature Community Partners will be honored.  Each of these organizations works to provide Colorado citizens with opportunities to use sports as a platform to enhance education, recreation, inclusion, and fitness. Please see below the Nuggets 2022-23 City Edition schedule and community partners to who we will pay tribute.

First of all, teams/organizations throw the word "iconic" around WAY too much. I've been to Denver's Union Station several times and I don't think even Denverites think of that signage as "iconic". That said, regarding the actual inspiration, let's let the pictorial comparison do the talking here:

9.20.22_Nuggets_Ellwood_274.jpg

9.20.22_Nuggets_Ellwood_301.jpg

9.20.22_Nuggets_Ellwood_264.jpg

travel-by-train.jpg?w=1200&h=-1&s=1

I'd say that's a pretty great match...specifically in how the gradient effect of the side panels mimics both the color and the lighting effects on the brick facades of Union Station as pictured above.

Now, I want someone to explain that random black swatch off-centered to the right on that waistband...and that little random "NUGGETS" wordmark on the side panels is completely unnecessary (and yet a recent hallmark of Nike "modern" design language—reference the same type of thing on the new Cardinals uniforms). That to the side, it seems as if this set's design inspiration was based around and extrapolated from the railroad station itself/railroads in general...which I can actually get with considering the history of gold mining (or any kind of mining for that matter) involving rail cars. I like the overall idea, and if they were to base a new *primary* set on this idea, with the current *primary* font and a navy/dark blue base with the same burgundy trim—which by the way would sync nicely with the Avalanche, by the way—I think the Nuggets might be close to establishing a present-day (ahem *cough*) "iconic" and at any rate distinguishing look of their own.

I see a lot more light blue and barely any red in those pics.  

They focus more on blue and red and not on GOLD, which is what they are named after. 🙄  Congratulations, Denver Wizards.

spacer.png

Last updated 5/23

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

For what I have to say about it, their entire identity, save for the typeface of their *primary* uniforms, is about as forgettable as it gets. That said, those 2023 city sets are probably a decent base to build from—or would be if either the Nuggets organization or the NBA/Nike cared anything about building/preserving brand equity.

Anyway, I've never really paid much mind to the City sets to know what was going on with them, so I went back and looked again at their "story" and, well...

Reveal hidden contents

The Denver Nuggets 22-23 City Edition uniform is inspired by our hometown of Denver which continues to evolve and change: a city proud of its past but always driving forward. This uniform derives its design from the city’s iconic architecture including Union Station. The Nuggets will dedicate this season’s City Edition uniform to recognize civic organizations that contribute to making our city an even better place to call home.

Elements of Union Station are embodied in this season’s City Edition uniform. “Denver” displayed on the chest, represents the iconic “Union Station” font and arc. The uniform color of pure platinum and unique burgundy side trim on the jersey and shorts is inspired by the color and design of Union Station’s stonework. Lastly, the strings of lights that adorn many restaurants and streets in our fair city are reflected in the burgundy trim that includes gold dots on the collar and arm trim of the jersey. 

This season, every time the Nuggets wear their 2022-23 City Edition uniform, Kroenke Sports Charities Signature Community Partners will be honored.  Each of these organizations works to provide Colorado citizens with opportunities to use sports as a platform to enhance education, recreation, inclusion, and fitness. Please see below the Nuggets 2022-23 City Edition schedule and community partners to who we will pay tribute.

First of all, teams/organizations throw the word "iconic" around WAY too much. I've been to Denver's Union Station several times and I don't think even Denverites think of that signage as "iconic". That said, regarding the actual inspiration, let's let the pictorial comparison do the talking here:

9.20.22_Nuggets_Ellwood_274.jpg

9.20.22_Nuggets_Ellwood_301.jpg

9.20.22_Nuggets_Ellwood_264.jpg

I'd say that's a pretty great match...specifically in how the gradient effect of the side panels mimics both the color and the lighting effects on the brick facades of Union Station as pictured above.

Now, I want someone to explain that random black swatch off-centered to the right on that waistband...and that little random "NUGGETS" wordmark on the side panels is completely unnecessary (and yet a recent hallmark of Nike "modern" design language—reference the same type of thing on the new Cardinals uniforms). That to the side, it seems as if this set's design inspiration was based around and extrapolated from the railroad station itself/railroads in general...which I can actually get with considering the history of gold mining (or any kind of mining for that matter) involving rail cars. I like the overall idea, and if they were to base a new *primary* set on this idea, with the current *primary* font and a navy/dark blue base with the same burgundy trim—which by the way would sync nicely with the Avalanche, by the way—I think the Nuggets might be close to establishing a present-day (ahem *cough*) "iconic" and at any rate distinguishing look of their own.

The black swatch off-centered is the inside of the waistband...it's been a thing the last five years or so in NBA and college where players fold over the waistband. Normally, the strings are on the inside of the shorts, not the outside.  The size tag on the back side is also folded over and on the outside when it should be hidden from view. 

I never made the connection of the Nuggets' City unis to Union Station...but with your post, I think they're far better than I thought (and I really liked them). I waited to buy one in April and May and missed out. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I was meh on the Nuggets city uniforms all season. I like them but didn't feel the need to buy one until they wore them way too much and had several of the franchise's most iconic moments in them. 

Hopefully the Nuggets will strong arm Nike and bring them back for next year.

With all of that said I thought they were loosely based off of the old Denver Rockets uniforms this whole time and never made the Union Station connection. 

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

1 hour ago, TaylorMade said:

I genuinely like the logo and I think its clever...

That said, is the official 35th Anniversary logo of the Orlando Magic actually 'sponsored?'  Like the official logo is actually sponsored? Because if so, that's further proof of unending ad-creep.

Anyways, cool logo. Will they be rocking the classic jerseys this coming year?

• Like 4

Here I go, about to contradict myself AND sound like a broken record at the same time but in this instance, I don't care, because...

903568036.jpeg

PSYOSQJVPBHJVP6JSMNNGAKMMY.jpg?w=535

orlando-magic-v-sacramento-kings.jpg?s=6

...Those are the ONLY sets of uniforms the Magic need and have ever needed—nothing they've unveiled since has been better or even came close. For my two one-hundredths of a dollar, those were/are every bit as quintessential NBA classic as the Bulls' and Celtics' primaries. (I'd include the Lakers too but they feel the need to keep tinkering with what was a quintessential NBA classic.) Until they reclaim these in all their quirky pinstriped glory, they'll never look "right".

"This is my word...and as such is beyond contestation."

• Like 17
  • Applause 5
  • Meh 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, JuicedSportsNow said:

I genuinely like the logo and I think its clever...

That said, is the official 35th Anniversary logo of the Orlando Magic actually 'sponsored?'  Like the official logo is actually sponsored? Because if so, that's further proof of unending ad-creep.

Anyways, cool logo. Will they be rocking the classic jerseys this coming year?

It's the modern NBA **EVERYTHING** is sponsored.

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

something that’s crossed my mind: i wouldn’t mind if the suns did a little rebrand revolving the gradient pixels look. i bring this up because after beal got traded all i’ve been seeing across instagram and twitter is him photoshopped only in the suns statement jerseys. like you can check the @suns page on instagram and look at their tagged posts. it’s mostly all pictures of him and the other players in the statement unis

35-F2222-B-C540-4102-A5-B7-0-F74-ADB3288

i think it’s pretty obvious people during these past 2 years people have been associating the suns mostly with that pixel gradient look. and i honestly wouldn’t hate it if they go full time with that theme. it’s better than the leaked jerseys we’ve seen which just looks like a failed modernization of the throwback jerseys.  

sure the pixels can be a little tacky to some but there’s no denying that it sells like crazy. it’s very modern and still captures the spirit of the old sunburst days. my only thing though is that i still have no idea what the suns and phoenix have to do with pixels..

95-E5076-D-4-D53-4-C60-A360-EA9-DA8-AEB4

• Like 10
  • Love 2

On 6/13/2023 at 9:22 AM, tBBP said:

I lived in Denver, and in that white building behind Union Station for 2 years. Considering Denver as a city is... boring, I'd say that signage is recognizable enough to use. Everyone who visits Denver takes a picture of that damn thing, it's a great visual. There's not much else to pull from, it's either the mountains (too easy), parking lots, or the Capitol/Civic Center Park, which looks like every other capitol in the country give or take, and it's not really an area anybody in Denver visits on purpose.

Just learning the side stripes are supposed to mimic the station itself, nice touch - bit of a Nike force, but still nice.

4 hours ago, speedy said:

I lived in Denver, and in that white building behind Union Station for 2 years. Considering Denver as a city is... boring, I'd say that signage is recognizable enough to use. Everyone who visits Denver takes a picture of that damn thing, it's a great visual. There's not much else to pull from, it's either the mountains (too easy), parking lots, or the Capitol/Civic Center Park, which looks like every other capitol in the country give or take, and it's not really an area anybody in Denver visits on purpose.

Just learning the side stripes are supposed to mimic the station itself, nice touch - bit of a Nike force, but still nice.

There is also the demon horse

• Like 1