2023 NFL Regular Season Through Super Bowl LVIII

Just now, infrared41 said:

Hi, Cleveland Browns fan here. Perhaps you've heard of us. 

Yeah - and with Watson out, I'm the biggest Joe Flacco fan in the world! 

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sure, why not call a 60 yard pass to a 5th string receiver in the end zone when you need to take time off the clock.  Screw this guy.  I get getting caught up in the game, but maybe not everyone's cut out to be a play caller.  Seattle, after losing 4 straight, is going to beat 10-3 "lol championship lol contender" who is in a must-win game.  At this point, I hate Siriani for not having the fortitude to make a replacement.

Even if it was a blatantly not-called PI.  But can't expect the referees to make calls on either side.  They're complete trash.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

27 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Yeah - and with Watson out, I'm the biggest Joe Flacco fan in the world! 

Watson being out for the year has made this Browns team a whole lot more fun. Flacco taking the Browns to the Super Bowl would be hilarious. It won't happen, but if it did, it would be poetic justice.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, Unocal said:

would mariota have won this game?

Not sure he would have. I think that a lot of the Eagles' issues are defensive and in play-calling, neither of which would change with Mariota instead of Hurts. The bottom line is, an offense with that much skill and talent at every position should not be constantly coughing up the ball and scoring only 17 points against a banged-up Seattle defense.

I was putting around in the ESPN playoff machine last night and I discovered that the Lions and Vikings haven't played each other yet so their next game will be the first against one another and then they turn around two weeks later and play their second game. That should never happen! You know what else shouldn't happen? Playing divisional opponents week 1. 

I've said this before, but if I was King of Football* (and I should be!) the schedule would break down like this and I'll use the Bengals as an example because I have their schedule off the top of my head:

Weeks 1-4: Play your cross conference opponents in the division you're scheduled against that year. For the Bengals that's the NFC West. They're the least important games for tiebreakers and whatnot so this gives teams time to get their feet under them before they get to the games that matter the most. 

Weeks 5-8: Play the first game against your divisional opponents and bye week #1**. Two divisions get their bye in Week 5, two in 6, two in 7, and two in 8, but every team in the division gets their bye week in the same week. Keeps things tidy for scheduling and keeps things fair for teams in the same division. 

Weeks 9-11: Play the opponents who finished in the same slot in their division as you did in yours.  Using the Bengals, the Vikings, Chiefs, and Bills were those opponents. 

Weeks 12-16:  Play the in-conference out of division opponents and bye week #2. AFC South for the Bengals this year. 

Weeks 17-19: Finish with the second game against your three divisional opponents when the stakes are highest. 

*Also if I was King of Football the Pittsburgh Steelers would be fined 100 million dollars annually and every one of their fans would have to do 1,000 hours of community service every year for the rest of their lives as punishment for the countless atrocities they've committed over the last 50 years. And every one of their games would begin with them trailing 7-0. I think that's very benevolent considering that I, as King, could just end the entire franchise with the wave of my hand. 

**Week 1 starts a week earlier so we can add a 19th week so every team gets two bye weeks. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

48 minutes ago, Sport said:

I was putting around in the ESPN playoff machine last night and I discovered that the Lions and Vikings haven't played each other yet so their next game will be the first against one another and then they turn around two weeks later and play their second game. That should never happen! You know what else shouldn't happen? Playing divisional opponents week 1. 

I've said this before, but if I was King of Football* (and I should be!) the schedule would break down like this and I'll use the Bengals as an example because I have their schedule off the top of my head:

Weeks 1-4: Play your cross conference opponents in the division you're scheduled against that year. For the Bengals that's the NFC West. They're the least important games for tiebreakers and whatnot so this gives teams time to get their feet under them before they get to the games that matter the most. 

Weeks 5-8: Play the first game against your divisional opponents and bye week #1**. Two divisions get their bye in Week 5, two in 6, two in 7, and two in 8, but every team in the division gets their bye week in the same week. Keeps things tidy for scheduling and keeps things fair for teams in the same division. 

Weeks 9-11: Play the opponents who finished in the same slot in their division as you did in yours.  Using the Bengals, the Vikings, Chiefs, and Bills were those opponents. 

Weeks 12-16:  Play the in-conference out of division opponents and bye week #2. AFC South for the Bengals this year. 

Weeks 17-19: Finish with the second game against your three divisional opponents when the stakes are highest. 

*Also if I was King of Football the Pittsburgh Steelers would be fined 100 million dollars annually and every one of their fans would have to do 1,000 hours of community service every year for the rest of their lives as punishment for the countless atrocities they've committed over the last 50 years. And every one of their games would begin with them trailing 7-0. I think that's very benevolent considering that I, as King, could just end the entire franchise with the wave of my hand. 

**Week 1 starts a week earlier so we can add a 19th week so every team gets two bye weeks. 

In a perfect world, maybe. This assumes that stadia are available and other scheduling conflicts avoided (such as the Giants preference to avoid Jewish holy days in their home schedule). It's another solution in search of a problem.

Now, if as King of Football you are creating a stadium for the Jets and Chargers, then disregard this message 🙃

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

In a perfect world, maybe. This assumes that stadia are available and other scheduling conflicts avoided (such as the Giants preference to avoid Jewish holy days in their home schedule). It's another solution in search of a problem.

Now, if as King of Football you are creating a stadium for the Jets and Chargers, then disregard this message 🙃

The problem this solves for is teams like the Lions and Vikings playing each other twice in the last 3 weeks and the Bengals having to start their season with the Browns and Ravens. Also this makes the schedule more balanced for teams in your own division because you play common opponents around the same time rather than months apart. And yes if I was King of Football the availability dates would be sorted out, easily. 

Edit: Also, the Chargers would play their home games in San Diego. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 hours ago, ruttep said:

Not sure he would have. I think that a lot of the Eagles' issues are defensive and in play-calling, neither of which would change with Mariota instead of Hurts. The bottom line is, an offense with that much skill and talent at every position should not be constantly coughing up the ball and scoring only 17 points against a banged-up Seattle defense.

I don’t think Johnson is a particularly good  play caller and is a clear step down from Steichen (who is exceptional based on what he’s done in Indy) but both of those interceptions were on Hurts and if he has to be handheld to not make those throws, he’s every bit the problem.

IUe6Hvh.png