2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

They are replacing a team that wore black jerseys at home, so it pretty much evens out. And given that we're getting generic 'UTAH' jerseys next season, I'd expect them to be black.

I mean the Indiana Pacers are a basketball team who's brand is based around auto racing.

Half-right. The Pacers nickname was inspired by both auto and horse racing. But for reasons unknown to mankind they've never really emphasized either one, so...yeah.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

15 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Yetis is gonna win so fans can have a big fuzzy yeti mascot dancing around the arena.

Bring back howler : r/ColoradoAvalanche

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Let's go REALLY out there with Utah's team name. They need something unique, something different, something you'd never associate with Utah otherwise. Hmm...

...ooh, music might work. Pop...nah, Rockers...eh, don't want to piss off any older Mormons...hmm...

...EUREKA! I've got it! 

Let's call them the Jazz!

Jazz in Utah? Now THAT's different! It makes no sense whatsoever! No one would EVER expect that! 

Right?

Right?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 3

Posted (edited)

Some AWFUL names in there.

Utah Glaciers - "We're coming for you! (pause for a few thousand years) "We're, uh. STILL coming for you! Stay right there - don't move! We'll get to you!"

Utah Canyons "Yah - when Utah made their offer I realized I really want to be a Canyon".

Utah Frost "We'll attack you like little sparkly drops of frozen water that appear overnight - watch out!"

Utah Swarm - love the bee symbol, but 'Swarm' just does not roll off the tongue. "Let's go Swa-arrrm let's go!"

What's with the lack of plurals for Mammoth, Yeti etc. too?

I seriously think a six year old thought up these names. 

Love Caribou, though. 

Edited by BenLaine

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

They are replacing a team that wore black jerseys at home, so it pretty much evens out. And given that we're getting generic 'UTAH' jerseys next season, I'd expect them to be black.

Perhaps.  But Arizona's black jerseys were really unique.  5 colours, a logo in a unique art style and unconventional striping.  IMO it would take something just as novel to convince me that the league needs another black team.  Guess well have to wait and see.

31 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Perhaps.  But Arizona's black jerseys were really unique.  5 colours, a logo in a unique art style and unconventional striping.  IMO it would take something just as novel to convince me that the league needs another black team.  Guess well have to wait and see.

Yeah, if it were up to me they wouldn't wear black, but there would be potential to make a unique look with the secondary colours. Maybe some purple & copper like the '90s Jazz alternates, perhaps with some powder blue thrown in.

spacer.png

• Like 2

It's very disappointing that despite all the snow related names in the contest, apparently no one in the organization has the cojones to push for the Utah Gnar. Or the plural, Utah Gnar Gnar. What a bunch of clowns!

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

I voted Swarm, Outlaws, Mountaineers, and Mammoth.

Three of those are already pro lacrosse team names, and one is a college football name, so I guess they work.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Most of those names aren't very good, but I'm guessing it's intentional so they can act as filler for the better/popular names to beat out. I'm sure that it's suppose to contribute to some interest in the bracket method.

I noticed a few could have potential trademark issues (like with Mountaineers/WVU and Black Diamonds/Black Diamond Equipment, for example). Some have been saying that Yeti(s) would clash with the Avalanche, but as far as I know, Colorado got rid of the Bigfoot logo and no longer use their yeti mascot anymore (I pretty sure it's a dog now), so I don't see the issue there.

11 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Most of those names aren't very good, but I'm guessing it's intentional so they can act as filler for the better/popular names to beat out. I'm sure that it's suppose to contribute to some interest in the bracket method.

I noticed a few could have potential trademark issues (like with Mountaineers/WVU and Black Diamonds/Black Diamond Equipment, for example). Some have been saying that Yeti(s) would clash with the Avalanche, but as far as I know, Colorado got rid of the Bigfoot logo and no longer use their yeti mascot anymore (I pretty sure it's a dog now), so I don't see the issue there.

Neither of those are professional hockey teams, so this isn't an issue.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

It's very disappointing that despite all the snow related names in the contest, apparently no one in the organization has the cojones to push for the Utah Gnar. Or the plural, Utah Gnar Gnar. What a bunch of clowns!

That's the Sea Captain's favorite

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26