Brett Favre

Cujo

No bashing from me. I don't have playing experience (I won't get into the reason here). I will say this. Favre's mechanics work for him, but most coaches I've heard comment have said the man has bad mechanics for a QB. To say Brett hasn't had a positive impact on the Jets isn't true. After all, with him, they did get to 8-3. The problem is he hasn't done well in cold weather for the last few seasons, and this season is no exception. What happened this year isn't new, it is just on a bigger stage. Green Bay wanted to avoid a disruption in their plans for the team, and Brett's return would have done more harm than good. So with the trade, Brett instead derailed the plans of Mangini and his staff. People nationwide believed the Packers were fools for wanting to move on. I'm happy Brett was given a chance to play. However, I'm also happy that GB's management has been provided evidence to support their decision to let the legend go.

Once he retires, he'll come back to work for the Packers and all will be right in the world again.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm gonna say it. I have no problem with Favre. Actually I am a big fan. I believe he is still one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

I think people who say he is a bad player don't know anything about what makes a good player and quarterback mechanics.

Think about it. If you don't like him as a person that's fine. But as a player you can't honestly say he is bad. Favre didn't have his best year. But looking at him mechanically he is still there. He makes his throws with precision and brings a winning attitude to a team. The only part of the game you could knock him is the interceptions. And when your talking about interceptions your usually talking about mental mistakes not physical ones. If he wasn't playing for an inept offensive coordinator many of those wouldn't have happened.

I played quarterback for six years and I know a lot about QB play. I have spoke to many expert coaches and former pro players about what makes a good player. That is where I get the knowledge to make my argument. So lets hear the bashing.

I may not have played six years of quarterback :notworthy: , but isn't that a pretty big deal? I guess turnovers are overrated (if you're Brett Farve.) He puts too much pressure on his defense by putting them out there all the time after interceptions, and his own teammates resent his presence. A big part of being a quarterback (again, I don't have six years of experience here) is being a leader. Favre has failed both in his physical / mental ability, and his leadership ability. There's not too many other ways a guy can fail.

But I don't have six years of quarterbacking under my belt, so what do I know?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also, there were a ton of times where Rodgers would toss a ball up and JUST miss his target where I would think to myself, Brett probably would've made that throw.

Maybe a year or two ago. I'm in AFC East tv territory, I've seen a lot of Bret Farve, NYJ edition. The accuracy he's known for just wasn't there this season.

The only part of the game you could knock him is the interceptions.

Um, what? 9 interceptions down the stretch is a pretty big deal. That's like saying Andrew Raycroft had a great stint in Toronto. After all, the only thing you could knock him for were all the goals he let in.

I may not have played six years of quarterback :notworthy: , but isn't that a pretty big deal? I guess turnovers are overrated (if you're Brett Farve.) He puts too much pressure on his defense by putting them out there all the time after interceptions, and his own teammates resent his presence. A big part of being a quarterback (again, I don't have six years of experience here) is being a leader. Favre has failed both in his physical / mental ability, and his leadership ability. There's not too many other ways a guy can fail.

No I definitely understand what your saying. Interceptions are never good. But I think with him interceptions aren't as big of a deal because he can make up for it right away. He did throw too many pics this year but when you look at them relatively its not that much. Look at his career stats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/1025/c...hnxsTSBjpj.uLYF

He already has had a few years where he threw more than the 22 pics he threw this year. In 98 and 99 when he threw 23 int's each year, people weren't saying he's told old and can't throw anymore.

I really think he had a good year considering the play calling was horrid and he still doesn't know the system exactly. Believe me that is the most important thing. If you don't know where everyone is on the field that is also what leads to int's.

The media and sportswriters who don't know anything about their sport blow everything out of proportion.

I watched every Jet game and from what I saw he still can throw the rock. What makes anyone believe he can't?

yankees-1.png

no bones about it. anybody who thinks the Packers would have done any differently if Favre was under center instead of Rodgers is a damn fool. It's not like Rodgers got hurt and they had to thrust Flynn or *shudder* Brohm out there. Can't say the same for the defense, but if you lose that many key defenders, you're gonna struggle to sustain good D. Hell, the Pack's last saving grace was that the Lions traded Roy Williams away...I mean, the D looked tired in the 4th too many times to count.

I will say one thing in defense of those Wisconsinites who still are convinced Brett Favre would've gotten them to the playoffs. I watched nearly every Packers game this season and there were a TON of games they lost by 4 or less points. From what I remember, Favre was/is one of the best QBs in the league in close games like that. Also, there were a ton of times where Rodgers would toss a ball up and JUST miss his target where I would think to myself, Brett probably would've made that throw. No knock on Rodgers at all, he was put into a terrible situation and did fantastic, I have all the respect in the world for him. I also feel that even with Brett the Pack would still miss the playoffs, but I still have to wonder just how many games out they would've been.

Rodgers tossed those picks out of frustration... and who can blame him? Off the top of the dome, I can think of at least 4 situations (Carolina, Houston, Minnesota, Chicago) where Rodgers put the Packers in a position where all that needed to happen was for the defense to make a stop or the special teams to make a field goal... they lost all 4 games. IIRC, both the Carolina and Houston games were closed out by Rodgers interceptions when he shouldn't have even been on the field to begin with (other than to take a couple kneel downs)

And that, my friends, is the difference between a 10-6 and 6-10 season.

As far as the "Brett would have made that throw" argument... the media loves to romanticize his comebacks, but those who've seriously followed the Packers during that time know that he pissed away just about the same number of games by making boneheaded throws that would get a high school QB booted down to third string JV (last year's NFC Championship game immediately comes to mind).

No I definitely understand what your saying. Interceptions are never good. But I think with him interceptions aren't as big of a deal because he can make up for it right away.

No, he can't. If he could have made up for those 9 picks he would have had just as many (or more) TDs in the same stretch. He didn't. He was 2-9 IIRC in that final stretch. That's not "making up for it right away," that's "making crappy decisions that lose your team the ball game."

I watched every Jet game and from what I saw he still can throw the rock. What makes anyone believe he can't?

Farve neither had the zip nor the accuracy he's known for this season. He could still throw by broad NFL standards, but his skill has clearly diminished.

No I definitely understand what your saying. Interceptions are never good. But I think with him interceptions aren't as big of a deal because he can make up for it right away.

No, he can't. If he could have made up for those 9 picks he would have had just as many (or more) TDs in the same stretch. He didn't. He was 2-9 IIRC in that final stretch. That's not "making up for it right away," that's "making crappy decisions that lose your team the ball game."

Farve neither had the zip nor the accuracy he's known for this season. He could still throw by broad NFL standards, but his skill has clearly diminished.

Well not throwing TD passes doesn't necessarily mean your not leading scoring drives but your right he didn't play his best down the stretch. I'm saying I think that could be attributed to other factors though.

Also are you making that judgement based on what you heard on TV? Because I saw him throwing from very close up this year and he looked fine to me.

yankees-1.png

Well not throwing TD passes doesn't necessarily mean your not leading scoring drives but your right he didn't play his best down the stretch. I'm saying I think that could be attributed to other factors though.

My point is that if he was the same Brett Farve that we remember he wouldn't have thrown 9 picks and 2 TDs when it really mattered. Providing moral support doesn't mean much when you just handed the other team a win.

Also are you making that judgement based on what you heard on TV? Because I saw him throwing from very close up this year and he looked fine to me.

I'm making those judgements based on what I've seen. I haven't seen him in person, but I've gotten plenty of him on my tv. The only game where he looked like his old self was that Cardinals game when he threw for 6TDs.

Other then that I noticed his skill level decrease. He can still throw by NFL standards, but by Brett Farve standards he definitely took a turn for the worst. He's shown flashes of his former self, to be sure, but those have been the exception this year, not the norm.

His accuracy and power have definitely diminished.

no bones about it. anybody who thinks the Packers would have done any differently if Favre was under center instead of Rodgers is a damn fool. It's not like Rodgers got hurt and they had to thrust Flynn or *shudder* Brohm out there. Can't say the same for the defense, but if you lose that many key defenders, you're gonna struggle to sustain good D. Hell, the Pack's last saving grace was that the Lions traded Roy Williams away...I mean, the D looked tired in the 4th too many times to count.

I will say one thing in defense of those Wisconsinites who still are convinced Brett Favre would've gotten them to the playoffs. I watched nearly every Packers game this season and there were a TON of games they lost by 4 or less points. From what I remember, Favre was/is one of the best QBs in the league in close games like that. Also, there were a ton of times where Rodgers would toss a ball up and JUST miss his target where I would think to myself, Brett probably would've made that throw. No knock on Rodgers at all, he was put into a terrible situation and did fantastic, I have all the respect in the world for him. I also feel that even with Brett the Pack would still miss the playoffs, but I still have to wonder just how many games out they would've been.

Rodgers tossed those picks out of frustration... and who can blame him? Off the top of the dome, I can think of at least 4 situations (Carolina, Houston, Minnesota, Chicago) where Rodgers put the Packers in a position where all that needed to happen was for the defense to make a stop or the special teams to make a field goal... they lost all 4 games. IIRC, both the Carolina and Houston games were closed out by Rodgers interceptions when he shouldn't have even been on the field to begin with (other than to take a couple kneel downs)

And that, my friends, is the difference between a 10-6 and 6-10 season.

And that, my friends, is why the Packers sacked their defensive coaching staff. Good offense did enough to win the games, but the terrible defense blew them again and again.

Rodgers did admirably in his first season, enough so that I have great hopes for his career. And I was one of those who originally thought the Packers should have traded him and brought back Favre.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, not yet.

"Favre has instructed agent Bus Cook to inform the New York Jets today that he plans to retire."

But even if he goes through with it, he's done that before. Less likely he'll do an about-face on the Jets than it was with the Packers, but the man has a great deal of ambivalence about retiring.

Then again, looks like Peter King was right - Favre electing to skip surgery on his bicep indicates he isn't planning on using it to throw long anytime soon.

So....

How many draft picks will the Jets give New England for Cassel?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

IT'S OVER!

Brett Favre has informed the New York Jets that he is retiring from football.

And yet, is developing an affinity for the color combination of brown and orange...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived