Arizona State Football - New unis?

uah8tr

Ran across this tonight..

asu-303.jpg

with this description:

ASU is sporting a new look for this year's football jersey!! This ASU Football Twill Jersey, by Nike, is 100% polyester (100% nylon neck) and features single layered tackle twill numbers on the front, back and sleeves. This is the perfect jersey to show that Sun Devil pride as your favorite team takes the field! Cactus Sports is independently owned and alumni operated!

No white at all on the jersey. Black outlines on the wordmark and numbers (black for black's sake), piping for piping's sake.. :mad:

Havent seen anything official yet, but there was talk about new unis being possible... Guess its gonna happen.

A shame too. Thought the look we had was one of the best in the country...

ASU Home Uni

ASU Away Uni

I liked when we actually wore the gold pants on the road more than the maroon pants they started wearing when Erickson came in..

ASU Away Uni w/ Gold Pants

I'll kinda hold off on judgement til i see the whole set, but i'm not liking what i'm seeing so far...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never really paid too much attention to ASU's look but your pics just made me realize that I like about everything that has to do with their current football identity. I like the colours and sharp unis of their current set. Maroon pants with the aways are probably the only thing that bothers me about the look.

This is one of the things that gets me about replica jerseys nowadays. The sleeves on the replica look bad, because the number's way down at the bottom. Now, we all know that, on the field, the number's going to be roughly equidistant between the shoulder and cuff piping. So, on the replica, either center the number between the two, or bump the bottom piping up to where the "sleeve" would end on a pro jersey, approximately.

Oh, and on another piss-and-whine note, I wish manufacturers would make replica jersey sleeves a bit shorter overall. Not cut like a pro jersey, mind you, just not covering my elbows.

As for the look - meh, decent. But not as good as what they've worn previously, and really dragged down by those black number outlines. Actually, replace "Arizona State" with "Minnesota", ship these up to the Twin Cities, and you've got yourself an upgrade on all fronts.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I am not a huge traditionalist or anything, in fact I like a lot of modern looks, but not a single change to this jersey was for the better. The black outlines make no sense, but the rest isn't terrible, it just isn't as good as what they have been using.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Tough to judge without seeing it modeled by an actual player, but other than the BFBS (which isn't even really that much), it doesn't look bad. Need to see the pants, and the white jersey though before making a judgment.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wouldnt mind seeing the AS logo on the helmet...that devil is just goofy

I disagree, there are two seperate identities that Arizona State University have in two different sports that are considered traditional. The "goofy devil" as you put it has been a staple of the football program for years and is built with winning for the last several decades, and I expect them to keep Sparky on the helmet for decades to come, and the interlocking AS logo is built within the baseball program for the same reason, winning and tradition. Reason why I would rather have them both seperate for both programs.

As far as the jersey, I wouldn't put too much into it as an alumni. No subtle changes to the color and no new helmets. The jerseys that Cactus Sports is from Ebay, and from what people have been talking to, this is not the actual look. Modernization of course, but right now I wouldn't rule out what the actual jerseys will actually look like myself, look for the unveiling mid-August. Also I will say that there will not be any black jerseys either.

This is one of the things that gets me about replica jerseys nowadays. The sleeves on the replica look bad, because the number's way down at the bottom. Now, we all know that, on the field, the number's going to be roughly equidistant between the shoulder and cuff piping. So, on the replica, either center the number between the two, or bump the bottom piping up to where the "sleeve" would end on a pro jersey, approximately.

I agree. Football uniforms have evolved to the point where 40 out of 45 guys wear short sleeves, usually tight at least around the band.

They don't put sleeves on basketball uniforms just to make fans more comfortable or stylish, so why not make replica football uniforms closer to what has become the predominant cut?

It's getting to the point where a lot of the newer designs, which are designed to work with the shorter sleeves, look really bad on the longer sleeved replicas.

The 49ers new design would be the prime example of this.

I love the jerseys they've been using. Downgrade.

Put me in the tiny minority that does not like the helmet. If they change the helmet, it'll almost be worth eliminating their great jerseys.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived