Nike Pro Combat Teams

BamaHater

My hasty, preliminary judgment:

Good: Florida State, TCU, Ohio State (With a few tweaks, I could see all of these being regular unis, although OSU would likely never go in that direction.)

Fair: Florida, Miami, Missouri (Not much to say here.)

Weak: LSU, Texas, Virginia Tech (I'm a lifelong Tiger fan, but not a staunch traditionalist. An alternate that breaks up the decades of monotony is fine with me. But this set needs more purple and, especially, gold. The high white socks on the model also look out of place.)

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok I'm pretty savy when it comes to product and promotion of products but I'm slightly confused on this one.

nike is obviously promoting new uniform design and technology which makes sense...my question is who is the target consumer?..obviously football teams but at what level?

my typical thinking was that nike's target market for their uniforms was high school sales but these uniforms are so ornate and complex I can't imagine reproducing these types of uniforms at the hs level would even be close to fitting into a hs budget...while the fabric and fit are "new and improved" it's the vast amount of customization, sublimation and team specific detail that would drive the cost through the roof...don't even get me started on the gloves...sure they're cool and ultra detailed but creating them must be an absolute bitch to create and costly to boot.

the only thing that I can think of is that nike has found a way to manufacture and reproduce these types of uniforms at a ridiculously low price...I know that sublimation can be done in unique designs very cheaply but some of these designs look very involved.

my other theory is that they are trying to market to other colleges and athletic departments have the budget to afford these.

can anyone elaborate?

I think what Nike is doing is more of a showcase of thier latest materials, equipment, abilties, etc. I think we're going to start seeing the "System of Dress" materials used alot more in many more teams next year, using the current design templates that those teams wear, I think this was just a showcase with 10 teams in a marketing showcase...

Anyone else find it funny that Nike is unveiling these against non-Nike teams? OU/Texas Tech (Under Armour), LSU/Arkansas (Adidas), Texas/Texas A&M (Adidas), TCU/Utah (Under Armour), Ohio State/Michigan (Adidas) and on and on...

UF is wearing theirs against FSU. Both are Nike schools.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Anyone else find it funny that Nike is unveiling these against non-Nike teams? OU/Texas Tech (Under Armour), LSU/Arkansas (Adidas), Texas/Texas A&M (Adidas), TCU/Utah (Under Armour), Ohio State/Michigan (Adidas) and on and on...

Miami against USF, who I think is Under Armour.

Yeah USF is Under Armour. Florida and FSU is the only game featuring the Pro Combat Uni's where it's nike vs nike. I'm actually suprised that they didn't make Florida's an away set so they could wear them at South Carolina (Under Armour) this saturday.

jNTsTyQ.png

Yeah USF is Under Armour. Florida and FSU is the only game featuring the Pro Combat Uni's where it's nike vs nike. I'm actually suprised that they didn't make Florida's an away set so they could wear them at South Carolina (Under Armour) this saturday.

So the Florida and FSU are both going to wear home jerseys with matching pants (all blue vs. all garnet)? I'm not sure I've ever seen an all monochrome football game before.

So the Florida and FSU are both going to wear home jerseys with matching pants (all blue vs. all garnet)? I'm not sure I've ever seen an all monochrome football game before.

Actually, FSU is wearing their set against Maryland in a week.

Actually, FSU is wearing their set against Maryland in a week.

And FSU is wearing their regular roads against Florida. Why is this concept so hard to understand?

And it makes a lot of sense to debut them against UA and Adidas Schools IMO.

6fQjS3M.png

The past few years I've soured on a lot of Nike's designs, but I am really enjoying most of these. The only things I don't really like it the white helmets for OSU, OK, FLA and VT. I know they are "inspired" by something they had worn historically, but they really don't fit at all. VT is the only decent one. Other than that, besides LSU looking like UW (also historical significance, I know, but it's not working for me), I think these are going to be pretty fun to see.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

yep i heard kansas. im really excited to see what is on the sides of the helmet. Like in missouris-there are grey and white stripes instead of gold now, so im hoping for a white M on the side. that would be awesome

Since their "motto" is Beast Mode, I'm wondering if it's going to be some kind of crazy and mean looking tiger.

Archived