Kansas -Big Ten

Kansas State-American

Oklahoma- SEC

Oklahoma State- Pac 12

TCU-American

Texas-SEC

Texas Tech- Pac 12

West Virginia-ACC

Disband the Big XII, give the American their automatic bid. The Big XII has been a joke ever since they got West Virginia to join.

My prediction if the Big XII dissolves:

- Kansas State, Baylor, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech to the PAC-12(ish). (Oklahoma, Ok State, Texas and Texas Tech were often thought to go to the PAC, so I could see simply subbing K-State and Baylor)

- Kansas and Iowa State to Big Ten

- West Virginia to ACC (along with maybe Cincinnati from the AAC unless they get Notre Dame to join for football)

- TCU ? (Probably American)

Are Oklahoma State or Texas Tech really THAT attractive to the PAC-12? I just don't see that happening. 

Now on the other hand, I could totally see a new conference emerge, perhaps a revived SWAC with a mix of XII and AAC members.

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

22 minutes ago, kimball said:

Are Oklahoma State or Texas Tech really THAT attractive to the PAC-12? I just don't see that happening. 

Texas Tech's attraction is derived solely from being in Texas. For that reason, I think it is more likely that a 16 team PAC would include TCU over KSU

• Like 1

I don't know how many of y'all subscribe to Extra Points, but in today's email he wrote about what he's heard about realignment. 

He mentioned that TCU might be more attractive to the PAC than TTU. Growing grad studies program, urban-ish campus (only one left in the Big XII), and, yes, it a religious private school but it's no where near the level of BYU or Baylor. When I was out in Texas, I spent a decent bit of time around TCU and it's not an overly religious outfit. My roommate was in grad school there for evolutionary psychology and knew quite a few fellow atheists. In the end, DFW is a helluva lot easier to get to than Lubbock.

• Like 3

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

5 hours ago, kimball said:

...perhaps a revived SWAC with a mix of XII and AAC members.

Just to clarify, the SWAC (Southwestern Athletic Conference) is an existing HBCU conference; including teams such as Grambling, Southern,  Prairie View A&M, etc. 

The SWC (Southwest Conference) was the primarily Texas-based conference that went away when four of its teams merged with the Big 8 to form  the Big XII...

It is what it is.

23 minutes ago, NormMacdonald said:

Kansas and Iowa State to the B1G feels right. Having Hawkeyes vs Cyclones as a conference rivalry game will just make it way more intense. Plus Kansas would really bolster the conferences basketball appeal. They at least make more sense than Maryland and Rutgers did from a cultural perspective

It's not about what feels right, though.  It's not about cultural fit and it's not about basketball appeal.   It's about football and, most importantly, money.  Admitting Rutgers and Maryland was about increasing the Big Ten's presence in the Washington D.C. and NYC markets to get the Big Ten network in more households and get a better television deal.  The Big Ten already has a presence in Iowa and the Kansas City market isn't worth it.

How do people not understand by now that this is about money.  The Big Ten isn't going to bring in two teams that don't bring in enough revenue to account for the two additional mouths to feed.  And considering the the Big Ten distributes $55m to its member schools while the Big XII distributes $37m with Oklahoma/Texas account for 50%-75% of the value of the Big 12's TV deals , it's a safe bet KU/ISU don't fit that criteria.  I will admit, I can't account for what impact adding two more AAU schools would do as far as how much research money the Big Ten brings in, though.

I get it... "but basketball!"  But UConn was coming off of a National Championship and has proximity to the Hartford and NYC markets and nobody wanted them.  I know UConn basketball isn't Kansas basketball, but still.

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

9 hours ago, See Red said:

*snipped for space*

I do understand it's not about culture or basketball appeal or what feels right. I was just stating my opinion as a guy who grew up on the edge of the great plains watching the Big 10. God forbid I give my opinion from a fans perspective on what I'd like the conference to do, even if I know it probably won't happen. Not everyone with an opinion is an idiot that doesn't understand what's going on if the opinion/hope isn't in line with what's probably gonna happen

• Like 2

10 hours ago, See Red said:

It's not about what feels right, though.  It's not about cultural fit and it's not about basketball appeal.   It's about football and, most importantly, money.  Admitting Rutgers and Maryland was about increasing the Big Ten's presence in the Washington D.C. and NYC markets to get the Big Ten network in more households and get a better television deal.  The Big Ten already has a presence in Iowa and the Kansas City market isn't worth it.

How do people not understand by now that this is about money.  The Big Ten isn't going to bring in two teams that don't bring in enough revenue to account for the two additional mouths to feed.  And considering the the Big Ten distributes $55m to its member schools while the Big XII distributes $37m with Oklahoma/Texas account for 50%-75% of the value of the Big 12's TV deals , it's a safe bet KU/ISU don't fit that criteria.  I will admit, I can't account for what impact adding two more AAU schools would do as far as how much research money the Big Ten brings in, though.

I get it... "but basketball!"  But UConn was coming off of a National Championship and has proximity to the Hartford and NYC markets and nobody wanted them.  I know UConn basketball isn't Kansas basketball, but still.

But at this point, it also seems to become about number of members. If it means getting to 16, there's not many other options outside of, perhaps, pillaging the ACC, which is a possibility. Bringing in Iowa State and Kansas may be an easier way to reach 16. Kansas (for reasons known only to the NCAA) counts as a quality education school, so that appeals to the "appearance" of the member institutions being good academic schools.

17 hours ago, Geoff said:

He mentioned that TCU might be more attractive to the PAC than TTU. Growing grad studies program, urban-ish campus (only one left in the Big XII), and, yes, it a religious private school but it's no where near the level of BYU or Baylor. When I was out in Texas, I spent a decent bit of time around TCU and it's not an overly religious outfit. My roommate was in grad school there for evolutionary psychology and knew quite a few fellow atheists. In the end, DFW is a helluva lot easier to get to than Lubbock.

I live down the street, I am a TCU supporter... can't tell you how many times I've been saying this to people.

TCU and Fort Worth fits in with "Pac 12 culture"  A LOT MORE than people think it would . . . 

• Like 2

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

My fantasy set-up for College Conferences
-------------------------------------------------------------
Five 16 team "Super Conferences"
========================
- "ACC" (ACC + Notre Dame & WVU)
- "American XVI" (Best 15 of the Go5 teams + one Big XII member)
- "B1G" (Big Sixteen; Big Ten + Two Big XII members)
- "Pac-16" (Pac-12 + 4 Big XII members)
- "SEC" (SEC + Texas and OU)
These 5 conferences play for the 12-team College Football Playoff with bowls.
8 C-USA members + 3 independents + 1 FCS call-up
- Central (14 teams)
10 MAC members + 2 C-USA members + 2 FCS call-ups
- Mountain (16 teams)
9 Mt. West members + 4 FCS Call-ups + 2 C-USA members +1 Independent
- South (16 teams)
8 Sun Belt members + 7 C-USA members + 1 FCS call-up
This would basically be four different conferences falling under one brand and having its own separate 4-team playoff.
E7gDXm_XMAgsRSw?format=jpg&name=small

E7gDdVbWEAAp7Fd?format=jpg&name=small

E7gDgJYXoAIaAuF?format=jpg&name=small

E7gDspXX0A0vAlb?format=jpg&name=small

E7gDwVpXIAot-YJ?format=jpg&name=small

E7gD0sWWYAIzNeJ?format=jpg&name=small

E7gD5JRWYAMuiL2?format=jpg&name=small

E7gD8-CXoAYbs7E?format=jpg&name=small

E7gEA75WUAEJYZI?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 3

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I just assume by 2030 the big money making programs will figure out a way to make a 30 or 32 team mega money making league and every other program will be left out in the cold. 

Looking at the leagues 29texan put together already shows the American 16 and CUSA will have a hard time attracting viewers outside hardcore college football fans or individual fans of those programs. A team like KState is not going to amount to anything nationally  in any conference it joins. 

If two high profile schools like OU and Texas can plot this SEC move in secret and have it finished and all wrapped in a bowtie within a week, imagine what a cabal including Ohio St, Michigan, Alabama and the other high rollers can accomplish once they figure out their best road forward when they see the pot of gold they can control for themselves. Ironically, I'm not even sure OU and Texas will ever play an SEC game, instead popping into the 2025 Super Conference.

4 hours ago, McCall said:

K-State brings the Kansas City market for TV.

The DFW market has three times the tv households of the KC market (according to Nielsen). I think the three Texas schools are the best three options for the PAC, but OSU beats out KSU on the strength of football success.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

The DFW market has three times the tv households of the KC market (according to Nielsen). I think the three Texas schools are the best three options for the PAC, but OSU beats out KSU on the strength of football success.

3 schools bring you 1 market...

OR...

2 schools bring you that market AND K-State brings you the KC market.

2 additional markets>1 additional market