Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Well this is silly. Keep in mind he means Jacksonville State here (the one in Alabama), and not regular Jacksonville who recently dropped football. As I understand it (and I don't totally), this allows the WAC to have an AQ spot for the FCS tournament, and also allows the three future ASUN/UAC teams to have an auto-bid for the season. So I guess we'll be waiting a bit on that sixth ASUN football member.

• Like 1

As a Stetson alum, it's interesting to me that they aren't joining the ASUN football league just yet. We have athletics scholarships for every sport except football (hence why we're in the Pioneer currently). Seeing the amount of money that was poured into improvements for our athletics facilities over my 4 years there, I find it hard to believe they don't have the money to offer the minimum number of scholarships to move out of the PFL. I could just be talking out of my ass though and they might have plans to join some time from 2022-24. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...

Did we miss this? The same day the news of the return of WAC football broke, league member UTRGV quietly started the process of adding FCS football.

They'd previously done feasibility studies on FBS football. I'm assuming they saw FBS wasn't really worth it but FCS wouldn't be bad. Add in that they have a built in landing place now, makes it way easier.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Having UTRGV with football helps the WAC land on their feet a little quicker then the ASUN will. The ASUN still has to find that sixth member to help reach that guideline for an automatic bid in the FCS playoffs.

17 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Having UTRGV with football helps the WAC land on their feet a little quicker then the ASUN will. The ASUN still has to find that sixth member to help reach that guideline for an automatic bid in the FCS playoffs.

On the plus side, they won't need to build their own football stadium.  They can use the stadium Rio Grande Valley FC is using.

• 4 weeks later...

Atlantic Hockey is looking to expand. They might add one, two, or three teams. For those who don't keep up with NCAA hockey, AHA has 11 teams including Air Force and Army. The leading candidates are Alabama-Huntsville (currently in the WCHA but being orphaned because the other 7 members decided they wanted to jetison the Chargers so they formed a new league), Long Island U (who were in their first season this year and had a scheduling agreement with AHA this year), and Navy (they were closing to announcing a move to varsity before the pandemic and who knows what's up now).

With 11 teams, I'd say one or three is more likely than two.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 8:25 PM, Geoff said:

Alabama-Huntsville (currently in the WCHA but being orphaned because the other 7 members decided they wanted to jetison the Chargers so they formed a new league)

Man...nobody wants the Chargers around. Not LA, not college hockey, nobody:hockeysmiley:

• Like 3

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 3/23/2021 at 6:25 PM, Geoff said:

Atlantic Hockey is looking to expand. They might add one, two, or three teams. For those who don't keep up with NCAA hockey, AHA has 11 teams including Air Force and Army. The leading candidates are Alabama-Huntsville (currently in the WCHA but being orphaned because the other 7 members decided they wanted to jetison the Chargers so they formed a new league), Long Island U (who were in their first season this year and had a scheduling agreement with AHA this year), and Navy (they were closing to announcing a move to varsity before the pandemic and who knows what's up now).

With 11 teams, I'd say one or three is more likely than two.

It's in their best interest for Atlantic Hockey to snatch up all three schools.

LIU had a scheduling agreement with Atlantic Hockey this season and it makes sense to upgrade to full membership.

Navy might be ready to move up and you can promote a Commander in Chief trophy for hockey since all three military schools are in this conference.

Alabama-Huntsville would need a home and they could be a great middle ground between Air Force and the other members.

• Like 3

I'm still hopeful that we'll see Loyola Chicago move up to the Big East someday...their rivalry with Marquette would be the stuff of legend.

In fact, I'm even willing to see the Big East make a trade with The Valley...they can have DePaul.

• Like 1

bYhYmxh.png

2 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Id love to see Dayton and Saint Louis in the Big East as well. Dayton and Xavier had a good rivalry in the A10 years plus the two teams seem a little lost in the A10.

Butler essentially parlayed back-to-back title game runs into Big East membership. If Dayton makes the Final Four last year, I assume they would've been invited to be the 12th Big East team.

They'd definitely be a fit when it comes to culture. The issue would be Gentile Arena would be the smallest arena in the conference. I don't know if they could go the St. John's/Nova route and play some games on-campus and big games at an off-campus arena. The United Center and Allstate Arena are both about 30 minutes from campus so it might be doable.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Granted a lot can happen in 10 years but before the last round of expansion, there wasn't anything requiring them to be in the same conference.

Now this is what I've been waiting for, FBS expansion shenanigans.

If this happens, what happens to the Big XII. Do they implode or do they go after some AAC teams to get back to 10 or even 12? 

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Granted a lot can happen in 10 years but before the last round of expansion, there wasn't anything requiring them to be in the same conference.

Now this is what I've been waiting for, FBS expansion shenanigans.

If this happens, what happens to the Big XII. Do they implode or do they go after some AAC teams to get back to 10 or even 12? 

I'm thinking implosion, because with the SEC going to 16 I don't see the other conferences being fine staying at 14. Kansas and Iowa State to the Big Ten (they fit geographically and are the only AAU members available for the taking), West Virginia to the ACC along with Notre Dame finally giving up and becoming a football member, and as for the other 5 who knows, maybe they poach a whole bunch of top G5 programs and start a constant debate on whether the "New Big 12" is a power conference or not. 

ExJworW.png

13 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I'm thinking implosion, because with the SEC going to 16 I don't see the other conferences being fine staying at 14. Kansas and Iowa State to the Big Ten (they fit geographically and are the only AAU members available for the taking), West Virginia to the ACC along with Notre Dame finally giving up and becoming a football member, and as for the other 5 who knows, maybe they poach a whole bunch of top G5 programs and start a constant debate on whether the "New Big 12" is a power conference or not. 

The Big Ten isn't going to add a school in a state they already have a member, so no ISU or Pitt.

Would the Big Ten look west? The PAC12's media deal is up in 2024 so no GOR holding schools down like the ACC targets, plus culturally the nine PAC12 AAU schools are more of a fit than the ACC schools,