The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've read, Torii Hunter's been recruiting Carl Crawford to come to Anaheim since the All-Star Break. Personally, I'd love to see Crawford as an Angel. It'd be nice if they signed Crawford, then traded Torii Hunter for prospects. I can live with another year of Bobby Abreu/Juan Rivera if it means a year to get Mike Trout ready. I don't think the Angels are really in the market for another starter right now. Unfortunately, there's still a year of Kazmir in Anaheim. With Weaver, Haren, Piniero, Santana and Kazmir, the rotation is pretty well set right now. Plus, Trevor Bell and Matt Palmer will probably compete for a spot in the rotation.

I really don't see the Halos making too much of splash in the FA market, other than bringing in someone like Crawford or Werth, either of whom I'd be completely happy with.

Exactly.

I expect a HUGE push for Crawford, and then some retooling in the pen. Hopefully some people that can actually pitch effectively and get guys off balance rather than their newfound love for the POWER ARM. And an efficient closer, because they got rid of the inefficient closer in Fuentes and replaced him with the not much better Fernando Rodney. Possibly Rafael Soriano of the Rays? That'd be nice.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

WHY IN THE BLUE HELL DID THE CUBS NOT PROMOTE SANDBERG?

He'll be somewhere else by Opening Day. This is a bad, bad move on the Cubs' part, but then again, all things considered, par for the course.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

He'll be somewhere else by Opening Day. This is a bad, bad move on the Cubs' part, but then again, all things considered, par for the course.

Sandberg is disappointed as well.

"From my standpoint, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed," Sandberg said Tuesday on WMVP, 1000 AM. "I got the call [this morning], and they told me it went down to the wire, and obviously I was one of the last two guys standing, and they made their decision. That's it in a nutshell. It's a disappointing day for sure."

Sandberg was not offered a job on Quade's staff, and said he was "digesting" the news and deciding which direction to go.

So it came down to the wire between Sandberg (who'd been in the system for years now & is one of the most beloved Cubs in history) & the interim guy, and they picked the interim guy. Cubs. :lol:

In homer news, the Braves have embarked on another quest to fix the mess that is their outfield. They started today by releasing Melky Cabrera, who was just all sorts of bad.

Sandberg is disappointed as well.

"From my standpoint, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed," Sandberg said Tuesday on WMVP, 1000 AM. "I got the call [this morning], and they told me it went down to the wire, and obviously I was one of the last two guys standing, and they made their decision. That's it in a nutshell. It's a disappointing day for sure."

Sandberg was not offered a job on Quade's staff, and said he was "digesting" the news and deciding which direction to go.

So it came down to the wire between Sandberg (who'd been in the system for years now & is one of the most beloved Cubs in history) & the interim guy, and they picked the interim guy. Cubs. :lol:

In homer news, the Braves have embarked on another quest to fix the mess that is their outfield. They started today by releasing Melky Cabrera, who was just all sorts of bad.

Watch him go to Florida and lead the Marlins to a division title. That's just the Cub's luck these days this century. Can we fire Jim Hendry now? He's been given plenty of chances to fix our team, but he's made it worse. No we're stuck with all these :censored: ty contracts (Soriano, Fukudome, Zambrano) so we can't play our young guys, like Colvin.

25yzwqg.png

I agree with the talk about Crawford heading to Anaheim, it's something I think is bound to happen. He'd fit in well with Scocia's style of play.

And about Cliff Lee, I know alot of people are talking about him going to the Yankees, but something tells me he won't do it. Keep in mind, the playoffs aren't over yet - if Texas comes away with a ring (which I hope they do), he could very well stay. Could. We'll just have to see how it all turns out.

Personally, I view Cliff Lee as a "Yankee Killer". In the World Series last year and evidently in game three last night, he has a knack for taking the bombers down, and with authority. It'd be weird for me to see him wear the pinstripes rather than beat them.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The Cubs take the interim tag off Mike Quade, name him manager.

Mike Quade? Are you for real?? With all the fine candidates out there, the Cubs and their payroll go with him?? Ugh. They could've at least gone with Iowa manager, and Cubs legend, Ryne Sandberg. Watch him have success with a team like the Brewers, while the Cubs are re-hiring by 2012.

Yep. I'm pretty disgusted with this hire. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Was this you hanging around Auburn when Gene Chizik got hired, booing his arrival?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8dxvwG5BVY

Ladies and gentlemen, the "new" manager of your Chicago Cubbies:

Mr-Clean.jpg

Nah, Mr. Clean has eyebrows. Our new manager is Ed Begley Jr.'s character from Arrested Development. Guy can't even grow his own hair, COME ON!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

From what I've read, Torii Hunter's been recruiting Carl Crawford to come to Anaheim since the All-Star Break. Personally, I'd love to see Crawford as an Angel. It'd be nice if they signed Crawford, then traded Torii Hunter for prospects. I can live with another year of Bobby Abreu/Juan Rivera if it means a year to get Mike Trout ready. I don't think the Angels are really in the market for another starter right now. Unfortunately, there's still a year of Kazmir in Anaheim. With Weaver, Haren, Piniero, Santana and Kazmir, the rotation is pretty well set right now. Plus, Trevor Bell and Matt Palmer will probably compete for a spot in the rotation.

I really don't see the Halos making too much of splash in the FA market, other than bringing in someone like Crawford or Werth, either of whom I'd be completely happy with.

Exactly.

I expect a HUGE push for Crawford, and then some retooling in the pen. Hopefully some people that can actually pitch effectively and get guys off balance rather than their newfound love for the POWER ARM. And an efficient closer, because they got rid of the inefficient closer in Fuentes and replaced him with the not much better Fernando Rodney. Possibly Rafael Soriano of the Rays? That'd be nice.

I have a feeling Rodney'll be the closer for the Halos until someone (i.e. Kohn, Walden or Jepsen) takes his job. Soriano would be a great addition, without question, but all signs seem to be pointing at one of the youngsters to take the closer role. Then again, Jose Arredondo was all but guaranteed the closer role. On another note, there's been rumor of trading Napoli this offseason. To me, it makes more sense to try and dangle Rivera in the market in efforts to give Nappy more ABs as a DH or backup 1B. He's not a good fielder, obviously, but he's a legit power threat. His average is, well, average, but I'll take a 25-HR guy with a .260 average. Plus, if the guys in front of him in the lineup actually get on base next year, Nappy'll see better pitching and actually have a chance to drive in runs. If Napoli does go, I guess that officially makes it the Conger Era, which is obviously intriguing. He was pretty impressive in September, and he's apparently doing well in the Arizona League right now. Then again, Brandon Wood's having a pretty good Arizona Fall League currently, which once again leaves me cautiously optimistic. At least the Angels will have a full year of Callaspo and a hopefully healthy Izzy to pick up Wood's slack if he repeats last year. Trumbo looks like he could be an option at some point this year, too. I haven't seen him in the field yet, so I don't know if he could make the move to third. He can't do worse than Wood did last year, can he?

Exactly.

I have a feeling Rodney'll be the closer for the Halos until someone (i.e. Kohn, Walden or Jepsen) takes his job. Soriano would be a great addition, without question, but all signs seem to be pointing at one of the youngsters to take the closer role. Then again, Jose Arredondo was all but guaranteed the closer role. On another note, there's been rumor of trading Napoli this offseason. To me, it makes more sense to try and dangle Rivera in the market in efforts to give Nappy more ABs as a DH or backup 1B. He's not a good fielder, obviously, but he's a legit power threat. His average is, well, average, but I'll take a 25-HR guy with a .260 average. Plus, if the guys in front of him in the lineup actually get on base next year, Nappy'll see better pitching and actually have a chance to drive in runs. If Napoli does go, I guess that officially makes it the Conger Era, which is obviously intriguing. He was pretty impressive in September, and he's apparently doing well in the Arizona League right now. Then again, Brandon Wood's having a pretty good Arizona Fall League currently, which once again leaves me cautiously optimistic. At least the Angels will have a full year of Callaspo and a hopefully healthy Izzy to pick up Wood's slack if he repeats last year. Trumbo looks like he could be an option at some point this year, too. I haven't seen him in the field yet, so I don't know if he could make the move to third. He can't do worse than Wood did last year, can he?

Nobody is worse that Brandon Wood, as a major leaguer. He's always good in the Fall League. He's good in AAA too. He just isn't a major leaguer.

And I'd be alright with trading Napoli, depending on what they could get for him. I just hope that Conger would really take the job full force. Because I don't want another year of Jeff "I'm really good at defense, but can't hit a beachball, but Scioscia loves my ability to catch a baseball" Mathis getting the majority of the games behind the plate. Plus if Trumbo can make the team, then he's our back-up first baseman.

I'd be good with trading Rivera too. Especially if they get Crawford. I wouldn't want another Gary Matthews Jr. Situation where he doesn't have a place to play. Because with Crawford in left, Bourjos in center, and Torii in Right, that leaves Abreu as the DH and back-up outfielder, and Rivera as the back-up DH and the back-up, back-up outfielder. It wouldn't work well.

I'm good with Callaspo starting at 3rd and Izzy platooning days off between 3rd/Short/2nd. I'd rather not see Brandon Wood ever again. Even in a back-up role. He's had more than his fair share of shots at this thing. He'll be nothing more than the JV All-Star. He just can't handle major league pitching. And even if the talent is there, he's not a major leaguer mentally. He can't handle it up here.

And I really don't want Rodney closing. I don't think Kohn really has the stuff either. And truthfully, unless a rookie is 2002 K-Rod, I don't want them closing either. I'd really like to see the Angels at least make a play for Soriano. They need a closer. They also need another Darren Oliver type reliever. A crafty vet lefty out of the pen. They need a changeup to all the power arms, because what's the use of replacing the power arm in trouble on the mound with another power arm from the pen? There isn't much.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Nobody is worse that Brandon Wood, as a major leaguer. He's always good in the Fall League. He's good in AAA too. He just isn't a major leaguer.

It's pretty funny, 5 years ago he was one of the hottest prospects in baseball after hitting 40 homeruns in A ball. Hard to believe he'd be so horrible when he reached the majors. You would think he'd at least make a power threat off the bench. I know alot of Orioles fans wanted to trade for him (I think he was rumored in a Bedard trade). Glad that didn't work out.

D-Backs hire Alan Trammell and Don Baylor, Trammell was the Cubs bench coach and I'm sad to see him go...

You may be sad to see him go, but to me this is a grea day, Trammell was my all time favorite baseball player and he is a main factor of becoming a season ticket holder for the first time since th 2007 season

Yeah, he'll be a great fit with Arizona.

25yzwqg.png

Archived