NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

Player numbers will be added to the front forehead (centered) location of all player helmets at the start of this season.

Front numbers are not required to be placed on goaltenders headgear.

Numbers on the front and back of helmets will measure no less than 1.25? and no more than 2? in height

The new number placement is designed to aid on-ice officials, broadcasters, et al. by providing an additional point of player identification

Normally I would agree that I would get used to the front numbers after a couple games/weeks, but this rule seems to state that the back numbers are remaining there as well. That's just far too much clutter in several already cluttered designs. I'm all for eliminating front numbers on the sweaters themselves, but this seems like too much. Put 'em on the sides like the Chargers and put the logo where the back numbers are currently if two sets are REALLY needed.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just means they're on the front of the helmet rather than the back of the helmet. Might look fine. They're high enough that it's not like it's straight-on, you know?

What doesn't look fine is that Minnesota seems to have two hockey teams.

Looks fine on the Easton S19 helmet, but the design of that lid is a little different from the other, more traditionally built helmets. It's a strange departure from what we're all used to, but I'm sure I'll accept it sooner or later.

Yeah, that is a concept by me. So definitely not official. But I did do my best to guess what they are going to wear.

For the flyers, ppl close to the source have confirmed that the Flyers will wear orange with vintage white included. Also they have said that it will not be the current jerseys nor any previous jersey including the orange ones from the 80's and 90's. They also said it they will be unlike any jersey that the flyers have ever worn before.

For the rangers, Based on their logo that was unveiled. I took the only jersey from that time period that they wore that logo and inverted it.

(it was blue w/ red & white stripes & rangers arch across the front.

No outrage over the Flyers using vintage white? I was kind of expecting one after the hubbub over the Rangers using it. Perhaps when used as a trim it's tolerable?

No outrage over the Flyers using vintage white? I was kind of expecting one after the hubbub over the Rangers using it. Perhaps when used as a trim it's tolerable?

Vintage white looks good with some colours, with others it looks terrible.

Good Examples: Sabres new Alt, Boston Bruins Winter Classic, Blackhawks Winter Classic

Bad Examples: Columbus Blue Jackets Alt, Pittsburgh Penguins Winter Classic 2011, Rangers Heritage Jersey

The Flyers will probably be in the former category

So to review, vintage white only looks good with jerseys people agree look good anyway, and bad on jerseys that people agree don't look good anyway.

Got it.

Not exactly. In my not so humble opinion, vintage white seems more desirable with warm colours like the Bruin's Yellow, The Senators Red, and yes the Flyers Orange.

On cool colours like the Penguins and Jacket's navy, it looks off. Sabres alt works because it's used so sparingly.

But I think you're forgetting one of the primary tenets of mens' fashion, which is, "beige goes with anything."

Waiting for Oxford blue jerseys and khaki breezers to come out of Columbus or Pittsburgh.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Minor point of order, the not-white on the Blackhawks' ugly thirds was not the "vintage white" everyone else is using but just a plain old beige or tan. Quite a bit darker, I believe.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was at least hoping the numbers would cover up the manufacturer's mark, but what was I thinking? The NHL would never shy away from logo creep

Having the numbers that low would look worse than just about any logo creep.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Archived