NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

Here's the first look of the Official NHL "Winter Classic 2012" logo, the patch the Rangers and Flyers will be wearing on Jan 2.

Like it, but I am never a fan of corporate names on a logo though from the Bowl games, to a tire company sponsoring a hockey game of a SuperBowl halftime show.

..what can ya do.

WC12_CROPPED.gif

So the top of the bell is straight-on but the bottom of the bell is clearly tilted as if it were ringing. Great job with the perspective, NHL!

It's pretty bad when I personally live in Philly, and at first glance wasn't sure what that texture was at first...then realizing its the wood handle of the Liberty Bell..lol

Flat 2D handle..with too much illustration on the wood grain, the bell is swinging forward. Exactly the perspective is way off.

Well it's official now, so there's no changing it now. :(

- I saw someone posted a fake St Louis Winter Classic 2012 logo..guess this was from a while back. (Mock up from "DC Arts Studio" - they have been mocking up jerseys) I have to say that logo looked pretty darn good.

The arch, text..simple and effective.

º º º º

gYFfCIp.pngPtJSay1.png

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at least hoping the numbers would cover up the manufacturer's mark, but what was I thinking? The NHL would never shy away from logo creep

Personally, I like the manufacturer marks on the front of the helmet. Whenever I see pictures without them, it looks weird.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Winter Classic leak?

317628_271800936176166_211686725520921_986932_2070103753_n.jpg

Yeah, that is a concept by me. So definitely not official. But I did do my best to guess what they are going to wear.

For the flyers, ppl close to the source have confirmed that the Flyers will wear orange with vintage white included. Also they have said that it will not be the current jerseys nor any previous jersey including the orange ones from the 80's and 90's. They also said it they will be unlike any jersey that the flyers have ever worn before.

For the rangers, Based on their logo that was unveiled. I took the only jersey from that time period that they wore that logo and inverted it.

(it was blue w/ red & white stripes & rangers arch across the front.

Now the number of every Dallas Stars player appears on 6 different places on the uniform.

EUREKA! The NHL should make it mandatory for all teams to add #s to the left hip on the pants. :wacko:

In all seriousness, that is so ugly, anytime I see something on the front of a helmet I always think it looks like a horn.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

EUREKA! The NHL should make it mandatory for all teams to add #s to the left hip on the pants. :wacko:

Watch yourself. The Islanders might be adding pants numbers to their black alternate set this season. Early drawings had 'em.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The equipment manager of the Wild just tweeted pictures of helmets with numbers on the front in effect day 1 of the regular season. He says its a new NHL rule to help with the media and refs... are you serious? Can't link to it on my phone but look up @styleswild on twitter to see them. A big phat wtf to the NHL.

See, years ago I read in my local paper "The Hamilton Spectator" that the front numbers that the Sabres, Sharks, Lightning ect. adopted was going to be league wide as mandated by the NHL to help on ice officials and sports writers properly identify players. The Spectator seemed to have it wrong or the plan was scrapped because it never spread to all teams. Lets see about this one, maybe it's the compromise?

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

The equipment manager of the Wild just tweeted pictures of helmets with numbers on the front in effect day 1 of the regular season. He says its a new NHL rule to help with the media and refs... are you serious? Can't link to it on my phone but look up @styleswild on twitter to see them. A big phat wtf to the NHL.

See, years ago I read in my local paper "The Hamilton Spectator" that the front numbers that the Sabres, Sharks, Lightning ect. adopted was going to be league wide as mandated by the NHL to help on ice officials and sports writers properly identify players. The Spectator seemed to have it wrong or the plan was scrapped because it never spread to all teams. Lets see about this one, maybe it's the compromise?

Reebok's initial plans for the EDGE system, IIRC, did include league-wide front numbers, along with tighter, tucked-in jerseys, with no hem striping.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Now the number of every Dallas Stars player appears on 6 different places on the uniform.

In all seriousness, that is so ugly, anytime I see something on the front of a helmet I always think it looks like a horn.

I say every team should just follow the Dallas route and eliminate the logo from the front and just go with a generic script logo with giant number underneath. It'll be even easier for the refs and media to identify the latest guy to get tossed from a game for a hit from behind or to the head.

I guess the Flyers will be the first team to go boldly into the future with their Winter Classic uniform since they really have had two sets of uniforms to cut and paste from and they look the same. They could, of course, take some elements from their orange alt.

Player numbers will be added to the front forehead (centered) location of all player helmets at the start of this season.

Front numbers are not required to be placed on goaltenders headgear.

Numbers on the front and back of helmets will measure no less than 1.25” and no more than 2” in height

The new number placement is designed to aid on-ice officials, broadcasters, et al. by providing an additional point of player identification

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Reebok's initial plans for the EDGE system, IIRC, did include league-wide front numbers, along with tighter, tucked-in jerseys, with no hem striping.

Wow... thank goodness this did not happen. That would make the Edge class of 2007/08, arguably the worst the league has ever looked, understated by comparision.

Just curious, where did hear about this? I remember hearing the Red Wings were going to use reflective piping and add black to their scheme.

Reebok or RBK as we were calling them then were trying to turn hockey uniforms into "future sport 3000" which would've sucked. It would've been like those one-piece skin tight futuristic NFL uniforms that people in 1994 thought football players in 2018 would look like, except for real.

The fact that so many teams have gone back to their classic uniforms or updated in the brief time since the edge takeover is proof that it was a good decision not to go ultra-modern.

Actually, if there's any sport where you don't mess with the jersey, it's hockey. Hockey fans seem more inclined to debate the merits of a uniform, and get more attached to their jerseys, than any other sports' fans I've ever met.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Reebok or RBK as we were calling them then were trying to turn hockey uniforms into "future sport 3000" which would've sucked. It would've been like those one-piece skin tight futuristic NFL uniforms that people in 1994 thought football players in 2018 would look like, except for real.

The fact that so many teams have gone back to their classic uniforms or updated in the brief time since the edge takeover is proof that it was a good decision not to go ultra-modern.

Actually, if there's any sport where you don't mess with the jersey, it's hockey. Hockey fans seem more inclined to debate the merits of a uniform, and get more attached to their jerseys, than any other sports' fans I've ever met.

Agreed, & I'll give a small example: Despite easily being the least supported team in town (as evidenced by them going up to Winnipeg to become Zombies :P), no other game in town had more fans wearing jerseys than Thrashers fans. And if that group could proudly rock those colors on a regular basis, just imagine what fans of teams with good-looking jerseys do? So yeah, that's definitely a good point, and it's good to see that teams are going back to what the fans see as popular, because most of the time, at least when it comes to hockey, it looks very good.

Agreed, & I'll give a small example: Despite easily being the least supported team in town (as evidenced by them going up to Winnipeg to become Zombies :P), no other game in town had more fans wearing jerseys than Thrashers fans. And if that group could proudly rock those colors on a regular basis, just imagine what fans of teams with good-looking jerseys do? So yeah, that's definitely a good point, and it's good to see that teams are going back to what the fans see as popular, because most of the time, at least when it comes to hockey, it looks very good.

I also think that there's a bit more leeway when it comes to designing a hockey uniform, as opposed to a football or baseball uniform. Basketball's uniforms can be a bit looser than baseball or football, but not as open as hockey.

Consider some classic NFL uniforms: (in design)--You have the classics, like the Original 6's Blackhawks, Red Wings, Rangers, etc.

Then there's also the uniforms that tweaked the classic design a bit, such as Quebec's fleur-de-lis pattern on their jerseys, Carolina's hurricane-warning flag pattern, or Phoenix's southwestern-patterned striping on their original set. You also have jerseys that had different patterns, such as Calgary's 1990s (and pre-Edge) uniforms, along with Colorado's and Florida's original designs. Atlanta's one-sleeve stripe could also fit in there.

Then there's also the occasional uniforms that were outside the box but in a good way; Dallas' star pattern uniforms were something never really seen before (well, at least before the All-Star game when the pattern debuted), yet was clean and instantly recognizable.

All the designs, except maybe the Thrashers', seem to me to be widely seen around these boards as good designs.

What would happen if a football team tried to pull off the star pattern on their uniform? What if the Montreal Expos, if they had not moved or before they moved, tried to use the fleur-de-lis as their pants stripes? We've seen one-sleeved jerseys outside of hockey (U of Florida's orange sleeve), and whether or not you like it, the Thrasher's asymmetrical sleeve looked so much better on a hockey jersey than it did on a football or would on a baseball or basketball jersey (or whatever the basketball jersey equivalent of a sleeve is). One of the reasons as to why a hockey jersey can be more popular than the other sports' jerseys is that there's so much more that you can do with it from a design standpoint.

Archived