2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

If you had told me the Indians would go 3-4 I would've taken that.

We are ready for Detroit with an awake offense and still stellar pitching.

Bring on the Tigers.

Should have been 6-1 really. We lost 3 games in the opposing team's last at bat. The Bullpen Mafia has really been struggling, and it seems like every series we have one aspect of the team that struggles. First it was the defense. then the batting, then the pen, next will be starters. The reason we started 30-15 is because everything clicked at the right time. But like I said, I like our chances against the tiggers. Bring em on!!!! Go Tribe

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We honestly could have SWEPT this trip.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

We honestly could have SWEPT this trip.

Well yes, but you have to consider a team would have at least 1 slip up during a trip. To slip up 4 times is very disappointing. But I look at it this way, at least Detroit lost. So in reality we are still in the same position we were last night. Just get some wins this week! Our starters have pitched VERY well and only a matter of time til everything clicks again.

So we're left with the question of who the best team is in the National League. It is obvious to most educated fans that it's either the Braves or the Giants, but I'm not sure which of them I'd take.

Easily the Giants. The Phillies are leading the East (and the Braves) by 8.5, but if they were in the West, they'd probably be trailing the Giants by at least 3 or 4. Lincecum is a monster.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A 2-1, 9-inning Yankees/Red Sox game took 4 hours...and now the game's in extra innings.

I'm sure ESPN and Fox play a role in it, but why does every single game between these two teams take so damn long to play?

They just play that slow.

Last year Red Sox pitchers were dead last in the bigs for time between pitches. (23.3 seconds) Next to last, the New York Yankees. (22.8 seconds)

Combine that with the fact that these are two teams that take alot of pitchers, have deep bullpens and aren't afraid to use them, you have a perfect storm of slow baseball.

Keep in mind under major league rules pitchers have 20 seconds to throw the baseball from the time they step on the rubber when nobody is on base. Failure to do so should result in a ball being called. I would be in full favor of this rule being enforced by umpires, especially when you have two teams like this that just play at a snail's pace. If the rule isn't going to be enforced, then get rid of it.

So we're left with the question of who the best team is in the National League. It is obvious to most educated fans that it's either the Braves or the Giants, but I'm not sure which of them I'd take.

Is this a serious post or not? You do know that the Phillies have the best record in the National league, and baseball.. right?

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Is this a serious post or not? You do know that the Phillies have the best record in the National league, and baseball.. right?

Ignore it. It's just will being will.

Just for future reference though, even though will is a Philadephia sports and Notre Dame fan, Philly and ND will never amount to anything and will forever be the worst team in their respective sports. Oh and the SEC is the most dominant football division in all of the known football professional/college/high school or otherwise.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Ignore it. It's just will being will.

Just for future reference though, even though will is a Philadephia sports and Notre Dame fan, Philly and ND will never amount to anything and will forever be the worst team in their respective sports. Oh and the SEC is the most dominant football division in all of the known football professional/college/high school or otherwise.

If your depressed after a nine game winning streak during which your nearly swept one of your biggest rivals in the Giants on the road, there's something wrong with you.

Just be happy your team is probably going to win around 105 games and worry about October when you get to October. Enough of this self-hating BS, and I'm speaking to all Philly fans on this one. Even the paranoid constantly on edge Red Sox fans lightened up after '04.

Playing for a Philly team has to be like playing for an overbearing father. The fans give you no credit when you do something good, criticize anything you do wrong and when you actually do win the big one, the reaction is you couldn't have done it without me pushing you.

Playing for a Philly team has to be like playing for an overbearing father. The fans give you no credit when you do something good, criticize anything you do wrong and when you actually do win the big one, the reaction is you couldn't have done it without me pushing you.

This is more or less any major city that likes sports. Does this make Tampa Bay an absentee father?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is more or less any major city that likes sports. Does this make Tampa Bay an absentee father?

I'm sure there's people going to be calling into WFAN tomorrow saying that Mariano should no longer be the closer of the Yankees simply because he blew a save tonight. You always get people like that.

But Philly seems to be head and shoulders above everyone else. There's guys like Dick Allen (who's a borderline HOFer) that just got ragged on the entire time they played in Philly and got that treatment nowhere else.

I'm sure there's people going to be calling into WFAN tomorrow saying that Mariano should no longer be the closer of the Yankees simply because he blew a save tonight. You always get people like that.

But Philly seems to be head and shoulders above everyone else. There's guys like Dick Allen (who's a borderline HOFer) that just got ragged on the entire time they played in Philly and got that treatment nowhere else.

Plus they had the audacity to boo Santa.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This is me after hearing that the M's lost to Anaheim after the gem of a game King Felix threw, which was a complete game with 12 Strikeouts:

:angered::angered::angered:

Come on, guys. That kind of effort can't be wasted... Oh well. Bring on the Rangers.

What's with this board and Cleveland fans? It was annoying when it was only the Browns and Cavs, but now it's expanding to baseball too.

It's not just the board. They're like this in real life too.

Yeah this coming from someone in Columbus...

and a Bobcats fan too

now that's a winner!

Right. I'm from columbus so I have to deal with cleveland jackholes daily. And I hate Ohio state. I'm not even going to touch on the absurdity of an akron resident and fan looking down on columbus and OU.

Didn't you used to be a pretty big tOSU fan? I thought you were one who went to the game vs Miami, even.

I used to be and I guess I still am, I went to the Michigan game last year, but my fandom has been waning ever since about my sophomore year in high school when it became clearer and clearer that I didn't want to go to school there. I shouldn't say I hate Ohio State. I'm just annoyed by Ohio State and how whacked people are about Ohio State football in this city. There's so much more to this city than OSU, but it's just a behemoth that dominates the news, sports, politics, and I'm tired of it. It's part of the reason why I'm not staying in this city much longer.

I sort of have to pull for them though, because OSU is basically responsible for my birth. (where my parents met).

PvO6ZWJ.png

This is me after hearing that the M's lost to Anaheim after the gem of a game King Felix threw, which was a complete game with 12 Strikeouts:

:angered::angered::angered:

Come on, guys. That kind of effort can't be wasted... Oh well. Bring on the Rangers.

I honestly have to think that Felix has to be considering demanding a trade. When he signed the extension after a winning 2009, this was NOT what he signed up for.

By the way, Tank, I have to say, after being there on Saturday night, Citi Field is a nice-looking ballpark. The food, from what I had, is excellent (they have a place there called the Shake Shack that makes darned good hamburgers!) and it's quite easy to reach via public transportation. Plus, how can I argue seeing the Mets win that game?

LvZYtbZ.png

By the way, Tank, I have to say, after being there on Saturday night, Citi Field is a nice-looking ballpark. The food, from what I had, is excellent (they have a place there called the Shake Shack that makes darned good hamburgers!) and it's quite easy to reach via public transportation. Plus, how can I argue seeing the Mets win that game?

So if I speak Willmorrisese, Citi Field is butt-ugly, Shake Shack sucks, and it's a bitch to take the train there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived