2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to hear your case for matchups not involving LSU are, because at this point, regardless of today's result, no team should be in the NCG ahead of the Tigers

Tell that to a team who actually won their conference if LSU loses.

So you don't have any legitiment cases?

I'd like to hear your case for matchups not involving LSU are, because at this point, regardless of today's result, no team should be in the NCG ahead of the Tigers

Tell that to a team who actually won their conference if LSU loses.

So you don't have any legitiment cases?

Possibly Va Tech and Oklahoma State, although it's entirely possible that neither will fit the criteria.

edit: I have a feeling LSU's going to head into the half either tied or with a lead, and if they do I think this game may as well be over.

another edit: Probably not going to happen.

IUe6Hvh.png

I was about to say, Arkansas was up by 14 on LSU at one point in the first half.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Does that stupid little toss the ball to the RB and have him run directly up the middle play that LSU runs ever work against good defenses? Never worked against Alabama, sure as hell didn't work there. For a power run straight up the middle, it takes way too long to develop compared to a regular handoff. And they seem to love using it in short yardage downs.

I think at this point you have to go with Lee.

Oh boy, that'd have been huge had the ref gotten the call right on the Mathieu ball flip on that TD.

IUe6Hvh.png

LSU is laying a giant turd right now.

Georgia should be up by three scores right now. It's criminal that they aren't.

The fact that they aren't will probably cost them the game. A team manages around 10 yards of offense in the first half and you can't eke out anything more than a three point lead? You have to do a better job of taking advantage. I was willing to give there offensive inabilities a pass in the Alabama game, and I know you can probably make the argument that Georgia's defense is as at least as good as either LSU's or Alabama's, but if the LSU offense continues to struggle like this then I don't think you can say they're the best team in the country with a straight face.

IUe6Hvh.png

What gets me are the people who think both teams in the NCG must be conference champions or something...yet they also hate the idea of a rematch of teams for the NCG. Simultaneously, these people still want the best 2 teams in the nation playing in the NCG.

You leave no room for a situation where the 2 best teams in the nation belong to the same conference.

I see where you're coming from, but yeah, I think the National Championship Game actually should necessarily include two conference winners, or at the least two teams from different conferences. I'm a casual college fan, a NCG between Pac 12 and SEC teams seems more "legitimate" two Big XII teams (like that'd happen!).

Plus, given the SEC's dominance over the BCS championship game the past few years, the the SEC Championship is the de facto National Championship game, so there's that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Oh boy, that'd have been huge had the ref gotten the call right on the Mathieu ball flip on that TD.

In Mathieu's defense, the ref already started to signal touchdown when he flipped the ball to the ref. It was still dumb by Mathieu, but the ref was premature with the touchdown call.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

honest question:

Do you think there should be a rule that states national championship participants must be from different conferences?

Yes. The idea that Michigan should have gotten another shot at Ohio State in 2006 was absurd. The idea that Alabama should get a mulligan and get another shot at LSU is just as absurd. If the regular season really is a "12 game playoff" then they need to treat it like a playoff. It's not difficult to add a couple rules to the BCS formula. The first one should be that if you belong to a conference then you need to win that conference before you play in the NCG. The second should be called the "no mulligans" rule. If you lose to a team that makes the NCG you don't get a rematch against them in the title game. Adding new rule #1 should negate any need for rule #2 99 out of 100 times.

What gets me are the people who think both teams in the NCG must be conference champions or something...yet they also hate the idea of a rematch of teams for the NCG. Simultaneously, these people still want the best 2 teams in the nation playing in the NCG.

You leave no room for a situation where the 2 best teams in the nation belong to the same conference.

There's no way to prove that the two best teams are in the same conference; this year or any other.

No one has a problem when the two best teams don't meet for other championships. For instance, does anyone really think the 2006 Cardinals were one of the two best teams in baseball? Does anyone really believe that Butler was actually the second best team in college basketball? Does anyone really think the 2007 Cavs were the second best team in the NBA? And so on...

Expecting the two teams who meet for a championship to always be the best teams two teams is as silly as it is unrealistic.

And no, a playoff doesn't solve any of this. If we had a playoff and Alabama got knocked out by Northern Illinois, would we then think that Northern Illinois is better than Alabama?

BB52Big.jpg

Honey Badger is ridiculous. LSU is about to blow this game out.

Yes they are. This game's going to get ugly.

For what it's worth, on the overturned TD, LSU clearly got the ball off before the whistle, so I don't think it should have been overturned regardless of what the replays showed.

IUe6Hvh.png

Just for Lights Out, let's assume Georgia wins, and take a look at the potiential conference champions

Pac 12-Oregon: Lost to LSU

Big East-West Virginia: Lost to LSU

-Cincinatti: Has 3 losses

Big Ten-Michigan State: Has 2 losses

-Wisconsin: Has 2 losses

Big XII-Oklahoma State: 1 loss was to a 6-6 team

-Oklahoma: Has 2 losses

SEC-Georgia: Has 2 losses

ACC-Virginia Tech: 1 loss was by 20 at home

-Clemson: Has 3 losses

Archived